Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Pistachio anyone? (Read 9873 times)
Reply #74 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 2:43pm

SBlanchard   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Oh yeah, the Farman looks great. I can't wait for a flight report. Was that the Dave Stott plan?

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 2:42pm

SBlanchard   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Thanks for the info Papa. I too am used to outdoor flying. I just have not been going to the field where the guys in my squadron fly since I moved a little farther away. I'm interested in 2 things: Indoor (my house) and Outdoor (My backyard). I have plenty of acreage at my house except it is covered in trees. I'm slowly working on that. I am back to making mostly peanuts and small gliders so I can fly them in my backyard. I will try to post progress on my little planes.

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 2:09pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

Forgot to say the wheels are blue foam, the U/C legs bamboo with the other struts sanded balsa (tissue stuck on both sides) and prop hub is a cocktail stick. (Jaques was carved in the end of a bamboo stick)

Weight at this point is 2.25gms. . . Cheesy

Merry Christmas everyone - hopefully Santa will bring you some nice stuff to play with. . .

IP Logged

Reply #71 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 2:03pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

Hi Steve (and thanks TK)
As the producer of a sole example of Pistachio work I'm no expert. I'd highly recommend the WeeBee as  good one to start with; if you fancy a copy of the plan just PM me.
I've come from a outdoor duration background so don't feel intimidated by what others can do. . .pick up some balsa and get stuck in, you'll learn a lot by doing it Wink

(I think there must be an element of stubborness somewhere in anyone who contemplates stick and tissue stuff. It's not the easiest way to make a scale model and you always have the 'weight thing' at the back of your mind. . .)

Practicalities -
I use light, shop-bought balsa. (The wood for the Farman was a piece of 1/32nd 2"x6" which weighed 0.92gms. From this I cut ribs and strip wood using a brand new scalple blade (10a). Incidentally there is a fair bit of this left for the next one Grin

Jap tissue for covering (others use condenser paper, but this can be a bit sensitive to temp changes apparantly). NO DOPE. steam shrinking if you must.

I pinched the prop hook from a Butterfly kit. The bearing tube is a piece of white plastic lollypop stick heated and stretched (remember stretched sprue rigging on plastic models?). If you start with a tube it just gets thinner when you draw it.

I use thinned PVA applied with a brush. I think the slightly rubbery joint this provides is a benefit.

Get used to the idea that you will break it as you go along Undecided Wink

Here's the current state of the Farman with Jaques installed in the driving seat

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2008 at 3:33pm by papa »  

farman_001.JPG (89 KB | )
farman_001.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #70 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:08pm

SBlanchard   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Actually the wing is 1/32" sheet sanded down to near invisibility. Tail feathers the same. The fuse is a stick of Guillows 1/16" square. I think it flies to quickly. I will try a different fuse. Maybe a lighter piece of 1/16" balsa. My goal is to release the glider near the ceiling and have it fly in flat circles as it decends to the floor. True miniaturization of indoor hand launch gliders without the launch. I don't want to cheat and use an indoor plane with condensor paper covering. I really would like it to be true to an all balsa glider as possible. The only thing I've had to do different to keep the weight down is to make the wings from very thin sheet formed over a center rib  to get the airfoil shape. The glider is set up as I was taught with 0 dgrees wing 0 degrees stab. This has worked well for me on all of my "normal" size HLG's and CLG's.

I'll check in here and there as things progress. Progress is my biggest issue latey though.

Steve

IP Logged

Reply #69 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 11:50am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Welcome. Always good to hear new voices.
Sorry I cant help with the Pis. project. Just thinking about it makes my hands shake. Grin  I'm certain the other guys can help. Papas work is awsome.

It would be cool to see your glider. Is it just paper or is there more? Indoor type covering? Sounds interesting. Smiley

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #68 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 10:38am

SBlanchard   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Hello all. I've been creeping around in the shadows just reading and no posting. I have been reading more than building. I have built more rubber powered models over the last seven years than I can count at this point but my production has dropped off A LOT. I have managed to get a few planes finished over the last couple of years. I have had great inspirations that led to no work done at all. Used to be easier to get them finished for some reason. The one thing that I have never done but I am very interested in doing is build a couple of pistachios. I have built successful Peanuts (Actually the Farman Jabiru that is being done by Papa right now was an increadibly successful peanut for me). I was wondering if there was bullet list of To Do's or Not To Do's that would make building more successful. Such as: do you build with only 1/32" square sticks? Can you cover with Japanese tissue?
I have seen some beautifully detailed pistachios that seem to fly very well and then some that are void of detail. I would like to fall in between. I have a plan for an old Comet sport model on the board right now and reduced it to 8" wing span. Just want to see about handling the materials. Any suggestions about wood? Props? Wire? Or should I just give it a go and learn as go?

Thanks,
Steve

P.s. Great work guys.
By the way I have challenged myself to build a tiny tiny tiny glider for my living room. So far I'm down to 4" W/S and it makes 2 circuits before hitting the floor from a normal 8" ceiling. Any thoughts about that as well?

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 7:40pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

I know what you mean about the cold. Numb fingers arent the best for delicate work.

I just cant get over Papas pilot. Thats awsome!

eric

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 5:45pm

jeff   Offline
Stick & Tissue
greensboro NC

I'm glad you two are thinking about building one.   I'm not even going to try to work on mine tonight. my hands are just too cold, the high today was 30 and the low was 19, I work in a cold shop so my hands never got warm....dont think I should even try I might do more damage than building...so back to sanding on the cessna  The wood is all scorched and I might cover in white so need to sand away what I can.  It's nice to have 2 builds going at the same time.   jeff

IP Logged

Reply #65 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 1:02pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Quote:
The other day I bought a box of old model mags.

Those old mags are great for reference. Especially if your new to the craft Cool. Lot's of how to's and such. When I built my first S&T model I had no idea that there was a huge worldwide following. Shocked

Whitman tailwind will probably be a good flyer, so Iv'e heard Wink
JOhn

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #64 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 10:55am

RMFF   Offline
Stick & Tissue

I've been eyeballin' Walt Mooney's "Wittman Tailwind" that was published in Model Airplane News , Mar 1962. Cool I'm thinking of doing it in stick and tissue rather than all sheet of the original Roll Eyes. Maybe, after I finish "The Windsor" that I'm currently working on Wink.

RMFF

IP Logged

Reply #63 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 12:26am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

This is odd.  The other day I bought a box of old model mags. I have been going thru them a few at a time. Later, I will orginize them for referance.
                       Anyway
In the box I found a booklet with 36 Walt Mooney peanut scale plans reduced to pistachio by Walt Mooney.  One is a parasol with very few curves on the fuse. Tempting. Maybe this spring.
Now if I can just get my scanner fixed...

eric

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 4:38pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Shocked Shocked  How did you paint that!?!   Shocked Shocked

eric

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 1:38pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

Very nice pilot Papa Smiley!

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #60 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:35pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

Thanks guys I feel less guilty about the workbench already Grin

Re: the Silicon lube. . .it's fabulous stuff, but don't get it on the floor - the room is now like a skating rink Shocked

I was interviewing pilots and Jaques came by suggesting he could fly the Farman. . .

Tich.JPG (70 KB | )
Tich.JPG
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print