Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Show me your winding stooge. (Read 3539 times)
Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:17pm

HudsonDuster   Offline
Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism
Brooklyn NY

David, files I'm sending you are being kicked back. If you want anything, you'll need to get me past your blocker. Up to you.
   Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 2:49am

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

The other way of doing it outdoors if you have a helper (AKA as mobile stooge) is to use a 'Gimme'.

A thick piece of wire or screw driver (the 'Gimme') goes through the motor peg and allows the helper to hold this and the nose when the motor is stretched out and turns are applied. . .some of the old wakefield fliers used to trim the motor peg so close to the fuz that the poor old helper had to hook two fingers over the rear peg inside the fuz! Shocked

Very exciting if the motor blew Grin

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:39pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Right. One tube to span the fuse and hold the rubber. [rear peg] A wire or such goes through the stooge AND tube. Some people have a larger tube inside the plane that "rolls" on the fuse tube.
The point is to pull against the rear peg, not the plane. The stooge is how you hold the rear peg. The rear peg on my current project will be 3/16 thin wall aluminum tube.
The design of the rear of the stooge is based on how hard you are going to pull [stretch] your motor. The front of the stooge [tongue] simply provides a "rest" for the nose of the craft.
Mine will not withstand as much motor as Papa's big one. Papa uses the pegs and guy wires to drive into the ground and that is what keeps it from coming back at you. No need for that on mine because the "artsy stuff" wont hold that. Some folks tie off to a bumper hitch.
I have NO personel knowledge of the type that hangs on a car window. I know I can yank a car window out with my hands, so I dont think those folks are pulling very hard. Again, I dont know. I see them alot online and havent heard any bad stories.

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:08pm

jeff   Offline
Stick & Tissue
greensboro NC

Green river.. not all people do it this way..but a small alum or brass tube as your rear peg  will let you run a piece of wire through it, holding in place in the stooge. Pull the wire out when your done winding. I have seen people just use the stab to hold the plane but thats rough on the stab I think. I also have seen someone use a very long wood dowel for the peg extra long to hold the plane in the stooge, but I thought it was just plane Smiley ugly

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Green River   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Ky

papa wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:09pm:
Indoors this is what I use. The side pieces have ali tube fitted to guide a piece of wire, the back has a lip like a woodworking bench hook and it is locked into place with an old clamp from an anglepoise lamp

(The cup hook on the side is for winding rubber off the model)

So you have a tube in the back of your plane to hold the motor and for the wire to go through?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:13pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Nice looking stuff, Papa. Pretty cool how the little one clamps to the table.

eric

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:27pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

And here it is in action with the WeeBee

1_001.JPG (103 KB | )
1_001.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:09pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

Indoors this is what I use. The side pieces have ali tube fitted to guide a piece of wire, the back has a lip like a woodworking bench hook and it is locked into place with an old clamp from an anglepoise lamp

(The cup hook on the side is for winding rubber off the model)

jig_2.JPG (84 KB | )
jig_2.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 12:53pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

As promised here is my somewhat delapidated stooge for outdoor stuff. The cord is just a guy rope and I use a couple of tent pegs together with the spike on the bottom of the broom stave. This is enough for 3 -4 ozs motors (although people seem to drift away when I'm winding. . .) Undecided

jig.JPG (118 KB | )
jig.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:02pm

Green River   Offline

Stick & Tissue
Ky

Looks like a couple of them have a extra long peg to hold them?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:12pm

C.L. Chennault   Offline
Administrator
I love YaBB!
Springfield MO.

GrinNow that is an elegant stooge TK Grin

HD, Never yet have I flew my FA moth!?! Angry Wish there was more Events in this neck of the weeds Sad. Looks like you all are having a blast.
John

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 1:42pm

papa   Offline
Gravity sucks
Dorset in sunny England

I'll dig out my delapidated contraption and post a pic.
It's a cross between the two above (my knees wouldn't thank me for the ground level version although it does have the distinct advantage of keeping the model below the wind on a windy day - ever noticed that you can easily hold a model next to the ground on the windiest of days; the problem comes as soon as you raise it off the ground. . .) Grin

The Photo of Ray (Alban) looks like it was taken at Old Warden, probably for a highest Wake comp. which would explain the grunt being applied . . .

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:48am

Maxout   Offline

Fly! Max! Win!
South Carolina

I like that window stooge that Michael posted. Jim Pollard built one just like it and uses whenever we fly together.

And we can see below that my stooge is far less elegant. I just use a trio of stakes to hold it down. It manages to handle everything I fly, including my Hi-Ho back when it existed. I had a pylon for the stooge at one time, but it didn't make much of a difference.

P1020765.jpg (185 KB | )
P1020765.jpg

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 6:32am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Heres a mock up of mine. Unfinished. It will set on a "wheelbarrel" type cart that also holds supplies and gives a place to work on the craft.

The point is to have an anchor point for a rod that passes through your winding peg. Also, you need some way to support and aim the nose of the craft so that when you stretch wind, you do not rub the rubber against the inside of the fuse.
Heres a bit on a very nice home made job that uses a camera tripod, anchored to the ground.
http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1193632769/600

A big unit in action. Dont attach anything like this to your car window. Grin

eric

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:20pm

HudsonDuster   Offline
Dedicated to Random Acts
of Terribleism
Brooklyn NY

...It DOES hold this nice FA Moth, which should be your next model (everybody needs a pure sport model to unwind with, and this is one of the best)--you can find plans for it in the "Hey Kid!" book I already pushed you towards.
  Michael

Michael J. Heinrich

and I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print