Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sterling / Estes SUKHOI Su26MX (Read 3596 times)
Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 7:52am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Snowowl, feel free to post it in "general" I started a post about that topic , but have been away. I too sometimes get bogged down in details
Congrats Bill !!! Got vid? We need some CL vid in birds in flight.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 5:31pm

Snow Owl   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Thymekiller-

I write longwinded posts, too, and I learned freom bitter experience to compose in WordPad or MS Word, saving occasionally, and when I was satisfied, copy and paste into the post.
I still have the diagrams I drew to "educate" Bill. I ought to post them to chasten myself!

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 5:25pm

Snow Owl   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Hi Bill!

I really admire the way you build without getting all bogged down in details. I get so involved in exactly how to do things that I often don’t get them done at all!
Being what I am, I got very involved in the details of why it’s important to get the dihedral straightened out. I composed a post with-

“plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and-  -twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
one was”    “Alice’s Restaurant”, Arlo Guthrie
-to explain why the plane wouldn’t fly right with the dihedral on upside-down.

Being what you are, instead of waiting for my invaluable help, you took the darn thing outside, fired up the TeeDee 051 and flew it!

Don’t I feel clever! Should have been gluing something to something else in the time I spent with all my mental diddlery!

To quote my old pal Johnny Applegate, “Let’s go do something, even if it’s wrong!”

Thank you, Bill! I worship at your feet!

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 3:07pm

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

well so, we flew it.

None of the bad things happened, but it is fast.  Striped black ape fast.

Ya'll have fun!

bp

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com bparker@parkerinfo.com
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 7:26pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

RATS !!!!!!!
Had a big long post ready and pushed i dont know what button and lost it all. More than 2 hours of work, gone.  Cry Cry
RATS !!! Dmitt !!!!!  CRUST !!!!!

Bill, you dont know how many folks have e-mailed me with concerned love for you and your plane. Thanks Lion for stepping up.
Most have expressed a concern about crazy flight. Black Lion is not alone in his concerns about personel safty. Especially with a .51 in the nose.......  Huh Undecided

Will start a thread about dihedral. All are welcome to join in the fun. Dont be shy.
NO KIDDING, Dont be shy.... Grin

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2010 at 11:51am

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

I don't want to be a wet-blanket on this Sukhoi parrty but, Dude, you gotta fix those wings before it'll fly!

Do this and you'll understand what I mean:

Screw a cup hook (or something similar) into the ceiling somewhere and hang the airplane from it by the leadouts. Take a picture of it with your camera, rotate the picture 90 degrees and THAT is how the airplane is going to fly on the end of lines.

Due to the centrifugal force the inboard wing is going to be forced into level flight. It may not achieve it entirely but that's what it's going to try and do. When the airplane is flying the horizontal stab and elevator MUST be on a horizontal plane or some very bad things will happen. The elevator affect is going to maneuver the airplane in a 90 degree direction of the horizontal stabilizer plane. That means on "down" control the airplane is going to turn in on you. You could find yourself running backwards to avoid being hit by your own airplane.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Tom Akery   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bill,
Thanks for the great reply...love those static birds...when I built the plastic stuff a while back before RC stuff...I had shelves full of them... I took a few pics before digital with slides so I would have a record of them...sold them to a Foster Freeze next to the airbase in Sacramento, CA when I lived there, they wanted them for atmosphere.  I know about static models Grin

Enjoyed the SU26...Looks great in the red with the stars etc.  Looking forward to the report on how she flies...and the next build.

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:16pm

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

The following comments contain editorial points of view that might be disturbing to younger or more sensitive viewers. Opinions in these comments  reflect the views of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Stick & Tissue or any human being living or dead...

Tail feather neutrality is important in control set-up... (tail feather neutrality?... kewl!...)

Quote:
thymekiller: Thats about as red as it gets! What kind of motor will you use? Gonna film the virgin flight?

Testors Candy Apple Red shot over Krylon auto primer, then Testor's Silver...  The engine, motors are electric... is a COX TeeDee (ThimbleDrome) .051 running 15% Nitro with real caster oil. I don't have a video camera anymore, so unless one of the ground crew has one of those telephone video thingies, no....

Quote:
Tom Akery: That sure is red... I was wondering about the wing also...looks like anhedral...  is that what the plans call for or just an optical illusion of the lens and photography?

Hummmm... Anhedral?  Is that what you call negative dihedral?  Kewl...  Yep, if that's what you call it, then it has anhedral. You see, I'm a Guillow's guy.  Period, I think.  Wings should be built in one piece and go thru the fuse.  When they don't, bad things happen.  You should see close up photos of the Comet Corsair I built...  Anyway, as long as this thing goes fast enuff, it'll fly around the circle, no perspiration...

Quote:
Tom Akery: I got the model you sent....thanks!

My pleasure, post lots of pics...

Quote:
Tom Akery: I was looking at some of your earlier posts...
Wing spans of close to or over 100 inches... Have you flown them?...
Cut my finger real good starting the flying wing.  Was a blast to fly
once I got the offset of the motor set properly...must of had to put
at least 4 degrees of right thrust to keep the lines taught.

http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm  

We didn't want to even get started with the expense of a gas powered engines large enough to get these things into the air. (think: CHAINSAW) Not to mention fuel proof paint, and other issues related to gas power including noise. So, electric power beacame the best idea. After searching the web for DC Electric Motors powerful enought to drag these airframes around the circle, we found that a hobby shop motor designed specifically to do what we wanted to do would cost in the neighborhood of $1100! After pricing batteries, a charger for the batteries, and other related accessories needed, we were looking at $2500, and the plane would only fly for about 5 to 7 minutes on a charge.

Then, we discovered Skycraft Parts and Surplus. We found a motor that would put out the power required for only $5.95 each! Yes, 6 dollars! The moto draws approximately 1 amp no load @ 12VDC. RPM 13,700 @ 12 VDC, 11,000 @ 9 VDC, 7,000 @ 6 VDC. We bought 4 of them. Now, what battery? Enter:  PlanetBattery.Com. We bought 2 batteries for $20 each and a charger for $40. After testing with a 19" propeller, we found that hooked up in series at 12 volts, these 6v batteries would give us all the flight time we needed. So much so that we put a switch on the control handle for turning the motor on and off.

Reality? Forget it.  These little chinese junks put out exactly half what we need to even get light on the landing gear.  Only thing that would work to get these plywood beasts into the air is gas, and I ain't gonna do it.  So, they're all built static.  By the way the conclusion that they'll never fly was reached way over a year ago, so there's alot of static planes have flown under the bridge since then.  Getting back into U-Control therefore is kewlest!

The big planes are covered with 100% cotton muslin fabric, sold at Hancock's. We used Lacquer as a substitute for the far more expensive airplane dope. Tite-Bond (yellow) glue turned out to be a fairly good choice for sticking it together.

Insignia from the web, and enhanced in PhotoShop, then printed, and laminated onto the skin of the model with thinned glue. Aircraft total weight is 12 to 45 pounds, depending on how big we build em...  AH!  The P40 and the F6F were built in balsa.  200 to 250 no sh*t bucks... I can usually get a plane out of one 4 by 8 sheet of pnie ply, so 17 bucks is the budjet no daze...

So, I give you the SU-26MX

et, voila! Ta Daaaa!!!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 11:48pm

Tom Akery   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bill,

I got the model you sent....thanks!!! Grin

I was looking at some of your earlier posts...wow  Wow  WOW!!!! Shocked Grin
Wing spans of close to or over 100 inches...terrific looking planes.  Have you flown them?... I haven't flown u control since Jr High School.  I tried a Cessna Birddog... and a flying Wing with an .O49 by Cox.  Cut my finger real good starting the flying wing.  Was a blast to fly once I got the offset of the motor set properly...must of had to put at least 4 degrees of right thrust to keep the lines taught.  Had a teacher at school who was into control line stunts and he did a demo for our aeronautics class that was awesome Shocked Grin Cheesy Smiley...I forget the name of the plane but it was a screemer with a big 60 size motor.  He did things on the circle that I'd never dreamed was possible and when the motor finally ran out of gas he landed it upside down on the tail which wasn't the first time.  Really great. 

Look forward to seeing your birds in the air Tongue Grin  Have you flown the big birds yet...?  Did I already ask this...oops.

the SU 26 is looking really good.  What is else are you going to do with the paint scheme if anything.  Should be easy to keep your eyes on with that bright red paint. Looks great.  Love Red.

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 12:57pm

Tom Akery   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bill,
That sure is red...
I'm with thymekiller...what motor are you going to use?
Look forward to seeing more progress.

I was wondering about the wing also...looks like anhedral... is that what the plans call for or just an optical illusion of the lens and photography?

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 6:15pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Thats about as red as it gets!!!. What kind of motor will you use?
Gonna film the virgin flight?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 3:46pm

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

Prolly shouldda got a red one, eh?

bp

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 10:31pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Great love to you Bill. Please read my pm twice before you respond.
Great love to you Bill.  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 8:19pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Sorry, dont mean to be hard core, but, Have to ask, :
The pics  seem to show NO dihedral.
Is that a trick of photography? Am I wrong?
PM me, if you want.
NOT trying to be a dick*, But , dude, it wont fly if the wing has that much anhedral built in. No way.!
Been drinkin' tonite, so I could very well be wrong. Could be wrong sober....... Grin { normally am wrong... Undecided }  
Also, {since I'm all big and shit44 } I thik you might be underestamateing the "rock on a string" thing.
Took this pic tonite , just for you.
Had a whole wad of of kids in the shop and one of them spyied it.....
I had no choice but to display..........You know how it goes from there.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:15am

BillParker   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Houston, Texas

almoist got it...

IP Logged