Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 
Send Topic Print
Tether Flying for S&T models (Read 196193 times)
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2010 at 6:32pm

Black Lion   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Carpentersville, IL

There are two basic types of tether flying: 1) the airplane is tethered to a swivel attached to a post and allowed to fly freely in a circle. 2) The old, original "whip" method where you're pulling the airplane around on a tether.

With the first type it had better be a really calm day so the airplane stays taut on the tether.

With the second type it's best accomplished with a pole that has the tether line attached (like a fishing pole) so you have something rigid to transfer the energy out nearer to the airplane. Otherwise you'll wind up just wrapping yourself with the tether line.

There probably isn't enough power in rubber power to drag a heavy line through the air with any efficiency. Being as light as rubber powered aircraft are some strong thread will probably work okay if kept fairly short.

Unless you're indoors Mother Nature is gonna try and have her way. She'll treat you like the Wicked Witch of the East would: "I'll get you and your little airplane, too!"

IP Logged

May 6th, 2010 at 11:43am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

There has been some really great info on c/l flying posted lately. Thanks for that. It makes me want to try it. Also, I have to admit to an intrest in tether flying. Thought I would start this thread so that I dont hijack any others.
Anybody ever done any tether flying? Rubber power or otherwise? I thought I might try it on maybe a 15 foot lead, with an old cessna that I dont mind crashing. Grin
Do I lead the plane alittle bit or just hold on and let it go on its own? What about just letting it go around while being attached to a swivel?
I have seen pics of this but the flyer held on to a stick, attached to the lead.
One of many things I like about this hobby is that there are so many ways to enjoy it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 
Send Topic Print