Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 44
Send Topic Print
Tether Flying for S&T models (Read 196789 times)
Reply #631 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 7:21pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Richard, the only model plan that I know of the Air Tractor 802F fire-fighter is profile no-cal model by Pres Bruning. It is drawn with the Wipaire float installation.  It is a PDF file.  If you would like a copy, PM me your email address and I can send you one.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #630 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 9:20pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Al - to tell you the truth, I cheat on my pictures also.  Roll Eyes    I launch the plane and then try to run to the other side of the Cricket Wicket, to be in position for when the plane completes a one half circle, to take the pic   Cheesy  as it flies close by me ...  Grin  but it works!  LOL
Al, those fires out west are still burning and the Vineyards of California are also ablaze ... 
I also really like that Air Tractor "FIRE BOSS"  Fire Boss - AT-802F  water bomber, with 5 prop blades, which utilizes
Wipaire
amphibious floats
, so that it can land on a traditional runway or on water. The Fire Boss can scoop water with these Wipaire Floats from a lake
OR
river for use on a fire.  If you ever hear of a plan or a kit of this water bomber, please let me know - it is at or near the top of my long "to do" list of interesting planes to build.
    Your SS40 does have a really long wing, and a quick glance almost caused me to guess it to be somewhat resembling the Swiss made "Solar Impulse" solar powered aircraft that flew around the world.
     Tether flying does look like fun, but I have never tried it ... Sad
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #629 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 10:51pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Richard, for your kind comment.  I'm glad that you like the picture.  For these close up shots, I cheat a little Wink and use a short line on the swing pole.  However,  the lengthened Meteor wing loves to fly on any length line.

By the way, I appreciated and enjoyed your pictures  and information about the wild-fires and the aerial equipment used to try to control them.  I am impressed and a big fan of the Air Tractor 802U, a versatile and very capable aircraft.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #628 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 5:46pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Al - those photos are
excellent
- a perfectly lit and highlighted stick and tissue model - really captures the framework    Smiley   - I'm just sitting back and studying it ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #627 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:55pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Bob, I'm glad that you enjoyed the flight pictures.  I enjoyed the flights in the back yard.  Your work on the Comet P-47 looks good.

Tom, thank you for your comment.  It is good to get back to flying.  As I become better adjusted to my slower lifestyle, I will try to do more model building and flying.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #626 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ditto what Bob said!  Always inspired to see these birds in flight.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #625 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:55am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Al, thank you for these photos they gave me a boost after the finicky weather today.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #624 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:19am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

After a rainy morning, the afternoon settled enough for a short flight session.  The front had passed through and we were left with light breezes and scattering clouds.  Our swinger this time was the SS-40 connected to a suitable fuselage.  It had been some time since last flying the SS-40 and I discovered that it's original fuselage is awaiting a rebuild.  The substitute fuselage flew well and a good flight was enjoyed.

The SS-40 wing is much modified Comet Meteor wing extended out to 40 inches wingspan.  Meteor wing is the same as the Comet Cloudbuster and Guillows Flyboy.  Construction description may be found at - http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273164221/413

Al

SC_10-22-17a.JPG (19 KB | 1 )
SC_10-22-17a.JPG
SC_10-22-17b.JPG (26 KB | 2 )
SC_10-22-17b.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #623 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:19pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

This time the enlarged modified Cloudbuster fuselage is attached to a Berkeley profile Powerhouse wing.  The 24 inch Powerhouse was designed for Cox 020 power.  This wing with the Cloudbuster fuselage results in a solid stable flying combination.  The trio of models gave us a fine model flying experience this afternoon.

Al

SC_10-18-17a.JPG (18 KB | 2 )
SC_10-18-17a.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #622 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 10:02pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Here is an enlarged modified Cloudbuster fuselage attached to a Guillows Flyboy wing and tail.  A fine flying combination.

Al

SC_10-18-17c.JPG (23 KB | 0 )
SC_10-18-17c.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #621 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 9:55pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Our oldest favorite has to be this old Guillows Cloudbuster  that we converted to swing control.  Actually, it was built from an old Comet kit.  To see more about this old bird, click on page one of this thread.  The variegated tissue patches testify to the long life of this bird.

Al

SC_10-18-17b.JPG (18 KB | 1 )
SC_10-18-17b.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #620 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 9:31pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Dave, for your kind and informative post.  I apologize for not having responded sooner.  We're beginning to experience some aging issues like vision impairment and increasing joint aches so our activity level is slowing down a lot, especially model airplanes.  Plus the frequency of household chores is raidly increasing.  The close encounter with hurricane Harvey had our attention for a while but we survived the event with no ill effects.

So, after a long break, we are going to try and get back into the 'swing' of things Wink  The advantages of swing control that you describe are true.  It is simple, affordable, and easy model airplane activity that offers a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment.

Today was a beautiful fall day, just right for flying so we decided to take advantage of it and return to flying with a trio of our favorite swingers.

Al

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2017 at 9:03am by simpleflyer »  
IP Logged

Reply #619 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 10:58am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Al
See posts have been quiet for some time now. It's a shame more people do not enjoy this hobby. It is just so easy to enjoy. Been very busy lately in life, and have flown RC very little this year. But I always seem to find a little time, to squeeze in some teather flying. Whenever the urge hits, I just walk out the back door, and I'm flying. Plus, I still have all my teather airplanes in perfect condition. There is never any crashes/wrecks/repair issues. And, the exercise I get in my arms is welcomed. From sitting at a confuser all day, it takes those knots out of my back muscles. Wishing more people, would give this hobby a chance.
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #618 - May 5th, 2017 at 6:30pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Today was less windy so we were able to make more flights with the Super-26, both with its own wing and the 24 inch skinny wing.
al

SC_05-05-17a.JPG (12 KB | 25 )
SC_05-05-17a.JPG
SC_05-05-17b.JPG (14 KB | 26 )
SC_05-05-17b.JPG
SC_05-05-17d.JPG (34 KB | 21 )
SC_05-05-17d.JPG
SC_05-05-17e.JPG (14 KB | 17 )
SC_05-05-17e.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #617 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:00pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, Tom, I like it, too.  It is a s-n-t wing that we built for a profile of the LTV-450 as a swinger a couple of years ago.

al

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 44
Send Topic Print