Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 44
Send Topic Print
Tether Flying for S&T models (Read 206310 times)
Reply #658 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 11:40pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thank you, Tom and Richard, for your kind comments.  Yes, the flight session was a bit of a challenge.  We wore extra outer clothing for the cold.  We had gone outside to  check our exposed water pipe insulation, and while outside decided to take a few pix and try a  few flights on a short line.  Forecast for the next ten days shows no overnight freezes and a few day temps reaching the 60's Smiley

Al

IP Logged

Reply #657 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:56pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Al.  Thanks for posting some inspirational pics!   Smiley   It was really cold up here first thing in the morning a couple days ago  -  3 deg F with a wind chill real feel of minus 9 deg below zero F.   That looks like a pretty thick Hoar Frost on your car ... good pic - I see it does get a little bit cold in Texas  Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #656 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 10:49am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I hear you Al...We're tired of this low temp weather also.  You're a real trooper getting your birds in the air even when it's cold!!!   Smiley Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #655 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 11:20pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Yesterday, we received a visit of the white icy stuff, again..  The past weekend was almost warm.  Then, freezing temp with light freezing showers arrived before noon and continued to dark,the temp continued to drop to below twenty degrees overnight and did not get over the freezing mark until almost noon today.  However, the skies cleared and it warmed up to a tad above 40 degrees.  Tonight, freezing temps arrived again, predicted to drop to about 25 degrees before leaving us about mid-morning, tomorrow.  I will be glad to see the freezing temps go away.

First pic shows the neighborhood yesterday afternoon.  Next pic is Norma's car this morning.

Last three pics are the Simple-Swinger S-40 and the profile A-26 as we tried to take advantage of the nice afternoon weather, but kinda cold.

Al

ice_01-17-18a.JPG (99 KB | 0 )
ice_01-17-18a.JPG
car_01-17-_18a.JPG (87 KB | 0 )
car_01-17-_18a.JPG
SC_01-17-18a1.JPG (29 KB | 0 )
SC_01-17-18a1.JPG
SC_01-17-18b1.JPG (56 KB | 0 )
SC_01-17-18b1.JPG
SC_01-17-18b2.JPG (56 KB | 0 )
SC_01-17-18b2.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #654 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:04pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, Richard.  Your Cloudbuster looks good and I'm happy it flies well for you.  It's an interesting coincidence about the tissue color schemes.  Our tissue scheme was simply accidental.  I had some scrap red and blue tissue and used it to replace torn panels as they happened.  The Air Tractor and P-40 need some finishing touches which hopefully will be done someday.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #653 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:33pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I love those
GREAT
, close up in-flight pics too Al !! Smiley  Cheesy Cool  Hey Al, coincidentally, and strangely enough, my   17 3/4"   wingspan Guillow "Cloudbuster" has a very similar color scheme to your Cloudbuster.  My rubber powered, stick fuse Cloudbuster - in the summer of 2014 - used to try to fly right out of Jackson Park -
WAY
up too high, and
GONE
with the wind - fly into Windsor Stadium and fences and get stuck way high up in the top canopy of trees.  No wonder they call them "Cloudbusters" !!   And I was just finger winding back then!
     We have a five inch dump of snow now at 11:00 PM Monday Dec 11 2017, and it is still coming down over here in the Windsor/Detroit area.
PS  I see that engineering wonder - the Air Tractor plane ...
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #652 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:20am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, for the comments, Tom & Bob.  Gotta be quick with this comment, Norma is busy loading up her baggage for our trip to LA to visit extended families there.  C U when we get back(tues-next week).  No thanks, Bob, we'll pass on the snow offer. 

Al

IP Logged

Reply #651 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:53pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

OK! Al, Ill send you the snow from Austin and this cold weather then maybe Ill get to fly some Grin

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #650 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

If you have to have snow...that's the way I want it!  See it fall, doesn't stick and back up to the mid 50's. 
Around here if anyone says they're praying for a blizzard, we send them to Dairy Queen!!! Roll Eyes Grin Wink

I always love seeing your birds in the air Al!!! Great inspiration!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #649 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:30pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Rest of the flight pix.

Pic #1 - A scratch built profile Monarch 26 modification of the A-26.  An On Mark Tradesman mod of the A-26 is on our soon to build list.

Pic #2 -  A scratch built profile P-40, one of three P-40s in out 'swinger fleet'.  For our next build, we're planning a P-40 modified to a Hawk 75.

Pic #3 - A scratch built profile Air Tractor 402.  Another on our soon to build list is the Air Tractor 802L Long Sword.

Pic #4 - At days end the snow is gone and the sun is out with clear skies and a promise of a temp in the low  30's  in the morning, but midday should approach 50 degrees or more-hopefully.

Al

SC_12-08-17h.JPG (11 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17h.JPG
SC_12-08-17g.JPG (39 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17g.JPG
SC_12-08-17i.JPG (12 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17i.JPG
SC_12-08-17j.JPG (89 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17j.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #648 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:46pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Flight pictures.

Pic #1 - the long-winged SS-40.

Pic #2 - one of the reliable FlyBoy wings with a scratch-built sheetwood fuselage.

Pic #3 - the old reliable modified CloudBuster that started our serious interest in this 'swinger' stuff.

Al

SC_12-08-17d.JPG (14 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17d.JPG
SC_12-08-17e.JPG (8 KB | 0 )
SC_12-08-17e.JPG
SC_12-08-17f.JPG (13 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17f.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #647 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:35pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

This morning we awakened to outside temperatures near the freezing mark and snow showers.  So after taking care of a couple of household tasks we decided to take a few of our favorite 'swingers' for a flying session in the snow.

Pic #1 - our flying field covered with thin layer of snow.

Pic #2 - SS-40 in the center, modified CloudBuster on the left,  FlyBoy wing mounted on a sheetwood fuselage on the right.

Pic #3 - Profile Air Tractor 402 in the center,  profile P-40 to the right and profile A-26 modified as a Monarch 26.  Some day I hope to put some finishing details on these models Wink

Al

SC_12-08-17a.JPG (61 KB | 4 )
SC_12-08-17a.JPG
SC_12-08-17b.JPG (47 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17b.JPG
SC_12-08-17c.JPG (47 KB | 1 )
SC_12-08-17c.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #646 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 12:04pm

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks, Richard for your comment.

Quote:
- so THAT'S how you do it!!

Yep, simple as dirt, and cheap, easy to do, quiet, and can be done in any airspace that can contain the diameter of your swung circle.  Primary requirement is a stable model trimmed to fly straight and level.  I prefer models with lower wing loadings, they seem to fly better for me.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #645 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 11:52am

simpleflyer   Offline
Global Moderator
Stick & Tissue
Rosenberg, Texas

Thanks for the comment, Tom.  I like the gentle flyers, too.  They're easier to fly and like to fly, except strong and gusty winds are sometimes a bit of a challenge.

Al

IP Logged

Reply #644 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:00pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Al - I just watched your videos - so THAT'S how you do it!!   Nice smooth fliers  Smiley  Wink
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 44
Send Topic Print