Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DT (Read 8503 times)
Reply #14 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 10:21pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Wow! Lots of knowledgeable people here, I may be able to build one of the silly putty DT with all of the diagrams.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 9:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's a link to some DT's and how to make them on the RCGroups site: Click Here

Here's another link to our Articles section that has articles on Silly Putty Dethermalizers and "how to" build them.
Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 8:24pm

terryman   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Los Gatos, CA

Here is a document on building a Silly Putty dethermalizer.  I built one, it worked.  Also some discussion of one here:

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1443749404/55

Read several replies before and after.

If I were to make another I would use a Tommy Timer instead.

Terry

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 11:25am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I think that the way of the future is electronic dethermalizers. There are already some on the market. The problem is not weight, but price.
see: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20894.0
ian

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 9:18am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

balsafliesbetter wrote on Oct 15th, 2016 at 3:24am:
Breathing life into this 5yo thread.
I am completely new to ff and would love to see/read more details about dt. Especially the silly putty idea.

"DITTO"

I also would like to see this re: silly putty. I have a formula to make home made silly putty.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 3:24am

balsafliesbetter   Offline
Ogden utah

Breathing life into this 5yo thread.
I am completely new to ff and would love to see/read more details about dt. Especially the silly putty idea.

Life's Too Short.. Just Build it, and Damn The Critics!
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 11:53am

DickA   Offline

Stick & Tissue

Thanks for the demo and explanations.  Have a basic question... where do you get the fuse? Huh
DickA

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 6:52am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Thank you Ziess.  I hope to have time this weekend to chase those links and a couple others. 
Thanks.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 8:46pm

Zeiss Ikon   Offline

Stick & Tissue
North Carolina, USA

Thyme, the Silly Putty does "grease" the tube in tube, but because of the extremely high viscosity, it acts as more of a damper than a lubricant.  If you've never played with the stuff, by all means find the nearest toy or craft store and get an egg -- be sure to get the "original", not any of the kinds that glow or glitter; the stuff inside the egg should be pinkish, almost the color of a "flesh" Crayola.

Here's the build sequence for my first Silly Putty timer.  Here's a link to the improvements I made in the second one.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:06pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Was digging thu old threads and found this link from Papa. 

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pages/Downloads/CRB_Tasters/SillyPutty01.htm...

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:34pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Did a vid of my fuse type dt.  There are many refinements that can be added. 

The snuffer tube is also the rear peg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4MA1YKnro

Ziess, I am aware of how a shock absorber works and I am trying to translate that to a circle motion [instead of straight in and out] and I am having trouble with it.   In my limited mind i can only see a tube in a tube and the silly putty would only serve to grease it.   Also of note here is that I have never played with silly putty in my life.  Maybe I should get some. 
If you wouldn't mind, a build sequence would be fantastic or maybe a link.  Sorry to bother you with this.  This is the first time for me and I am lost.   One of the things I enjoy most about this hobby is that there is always another corner to go around.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:46pm

Zeiss Ikon   Offline

Stick & Tissue
North Carolina, USA

A Silly Putty timer consists of Silly Putty inside a tube, with either a perforated tube or (tiny) paddle on a wire embedded in the Putty (there are more details to it than that; I can post a construction photo sequence if needed); the inner wire or tube is rotated by a string wrapped around, which is driven by a spring (like the rotary damper video you linked) or elastic.  The damping effect of the Silly Putty on the perfed tube or paddle causes the tension to rotate the core very slowly -- my last one does about two minutes for 135º of rotation, driven by a single office type rubber band stretched about double length.

The rest of the setup is the same you'd have with the rotary damper -- some way to let the tension on the drive line hold a flying surface in place, then release it promptly when the tension loop slips off the drive arm, producing the same effect you'd get with a fuse burning through a thin rubber band.

The advantage of Silly Putty over commercial dampers is price -- I spent about $10 on tubing and an egg of putty, added some super glue and bamboo skewers I had around, and have everything I need to make a dozen or more timers; that's less than 1/3 the price of the commercial dampers, and my timers can be customized -- make the tube longer, you get more damping, and the timer runs slower on a given tension.  I could easily make a Silly Putty timer that would run five minutes or more for a 270º rotation, still with a tensioner strong enough to lock a pretty robust DT mechanism...

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 7:12am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Any chance you could explain how a silly putty timer works?  I don't have enough details to explain correctly. 
Tonight, I will vid mine in action.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 6:00am

Zeiss Ikon   Offline

Stick & Tissue
North Carolina, USA

Yep, it's a commercially made equivalent of a Silly Putty timer.

IP Logged

Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:20am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE9Fm_KgRQY&NR=1
Allows a wing to pop up or pop off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print