Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 114
Send Topic Print
Can you name this plane? (Read 306573 times)
Reply #1325 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 11:38am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That would be Franz Reichelt. The inventor might actually be Hermann Reichelt who worked with Wolfgang Harlan.
See: https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wik... (sorry, need to use Google Translate on it)
And photos seem to be rare. I did find this one which calls it Reichelt-Eindecker.
http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/08/13/johannisthal/ (Photo 13)
and the caption on this photo/postcard is: Quote:
With a large zeppelin hall and regular flights, it must have been a magnet for the people of Dresden. And even flight pioneers like Hermann Reichelt and Jagdflieger-Ass Max Immelmann were at home here.

http://miezeundtoast.blogspot.ca/2016/08/flughafen-kaditz.html
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1324 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 7:55am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

OK - sorry I went out of turn - but this mystery plane is not in Wiki.  Here is a little hint - a man jumped off of the Eiffel Tower with his parachute that did not work - to his death - the media was there taking pics.
LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1323 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 12:42am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

OK...I yield to LWM and his plane...
I'm still baffled.  It really looks to have the Taube type of wing but the seating arrangement is definitely different. Almost hang glider looking!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1322 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 12:00am

pb_guy   Offline

IP Logged

Reply #1321 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 2:17pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

OK - I found the Breguet 890 Mercure on Wiki, but wiki has no pics of the plane.   You have to type in Breguet 890 Mercure and press images to get to the pics - a nice wooden model pic is there with a good history explanation  
  http://www.wind-tunnel-models.com/wind_tunnel_model_Breguet_890.html   

the above link will not work, so click on the wood model pic and then view the page 
View page: wind-tunnel-models.com
for the history explanation, and more wood model pics.
   LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1320 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Kiwi   Offline
New Zealand

LASTWOODSMAN wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 6:11pm:
That big 4 engine mystery plane looked familiar to me - as Sky9 pointed out - "a miltary version called the Mars, to replace the Douglas C-47" - and with the dihedral in the stab, it looked like the Martin Mars tanker fire bomber - is it the same plane? only 7 were built - four of the surviving aircraft were later converted for civilian use to firefighting water bombers.  It looks close ... ?   Is it sort of close?  I posted pics of the Martin Mars in "The West is Burning Up"
LWM

The Martin Mars that you are referring to is a very large American flying boat, the one in my mystery post is a French aircraft of which three were built and only one version was called the "Mars" (see the wikipedia extract)

Pilots without Mechanics are just Pedestrians with Fancy Watches
IP Logged

Reply #1319 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:06pm

pb_guy   Offline

LastWoodsMan's pick is definitely German, seeing as it has Goetz on one of the aerodrome buildings. But I don't think that it is one of Grade's. This one is a two-seater, and he didn't use the Taube wingtips. It is definitely obscure. There might be more info on German Aeroflot sites.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1318 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 6:11pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

That big 4 engine mystery plane looked familiar to me - as Sky9 pointed out - "a miltary version called the Mars, to replace the Douglas C-47" - and with the dihedral in the stab, it looked like the Martin Mars tanker fire bomber - is it the same plane? only 7 were built - four of the surviving aircraft were later converted for civilian use to firefighting water bombers.  It looks close ... ?   Is it sort of close?  I posted pics of the Martin Mars in "The West is Burning Up"
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #1317 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 5:35pm

Kiwi   Offline
New Zealand

Sky9pilot wrote on Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:18pm:
Kiwi...
Boy you found a rare one in this one!!!
Took me a while but I found it I believe. Built late 1948-49
The Breguet Aviation Br.892 Mercure passenger version of the military transport with the installation of four SNECMA Renault 12S-02 engines (the French version of Argus AS 411 engines) with a capacity of 570 hp.

Most unusual aircraft and I think the only prototype.

They actually built three, one was a miltary version called the Mars,
from wikipedia-With a French Air Force requirement to replace the Douglas C-47 and Amiot AAC-1 Breguet started development of the Breguet 890 as a medium-capacity military transport.[2] The commercial transport prototype designated the Breguet 890H Mercure was an all-metal cantilever high-wing monoplane powered by two 2,000 hp (1,491 kW) Bristol Hercules radial engines. It had a retractable tricycle landing gear and, advanced for its day, a swing tail to allow access (using a loading ramp) into the fuselage for heavy equipment and vehicles. A military prototype was also built under the designation Breguet 891R Mars, it retained the swing tail but had provision for 20 paratroopers and was powered by two 1,600 hp (1,193 kW) Gnome-Rhône 14R-200 radial engines. The Mars had parachute doors on each side of the fuselage, a floor chute for dropping containers and also a towing hook for a glider.

The third variant and the first to fly on 1 March 1949 was a convertible passenger/cargo aircraft, designated the Breguet 892S Mercure. Although based on the 890H the 892S had four 500 hp (373 kW) Renault 12S inline piston engines.[1] It had a large cargo door on the starboard side and two passenger doors in the port side. When fitted with seats it could carry 40 passengers.[1]

Only one prototype of each variant was built, the French Air Force ordered the Nord Noratlas rather than the Mars and with the availability of war-surplus aircraft like the Douglas DC-3 available to commercial operators the type did not enter production.

IP Logged

Reply #1316 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:36pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

LWM...yours has eluded me as well!!! The wing definitely looks like the Etrich/Rumpler Taubes, but this one the pilot and passenger are slung underneath....can't find this one!!!!  Unless it was Herr Etrich's first prototype?

It might be the 1910 Grade Monoplane???
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1315 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kiwi...
Boy you found a rare one in this one!!!
Took me a while but I found it I believe. Built late 1948-49
The Breguet Aviation Br.892 Mercure passenger version of the military transport with the installation of four SNECMA Renault 12S-02 engines (the French version of Argus AS 411 engines) with a capacity of 570 hp.

Most unusual aircraft and I think the only prototype.

IP Logged

Reply #1314 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 9:51pm

Kiwi   Offline
New Zealand

Anyone know why the "Last Post" function for this topic has ceased working on the main page? Everytime I click on it it it goes to post 1293 and that is what shows on the topic page despite the fact that we are up to post 1326

IP Logged

Reply #1313 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 1:17am

John Webster   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Painesville, Ohio

Hueyv77, I think the airplane you flew was Ed Fisher Senior's Cassutt. It was medium blue with white trim and carried race number 40. I knew Ed Fisher's son Ed during the 70s and 80s and also got to fly the Cassutt on a couple of occasions. I also got to fly the prototype Zippy Sport before the fuselage was lengthened.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
IP Logged

Reply #1312 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 10:45pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Those engines look British or European.  Interesting aircraft.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1311 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:12pm

Kiwi   Offline
New Zealand

Continuing on a similar theme what is this one?

More_mystery.jpg (27 KB | 7 )
More_mystery.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 114
Send Topic Print