Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 103
Send Topic Print
Can you name this plane? (Read 279657 times)
Reply #1509 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:03pm

pb_guy   Online
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

This was once a secret project with connections to Klingons et les oiseaux. (Although I would have guessed Romulans).
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1508 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:38am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I never saw a Whooping Crane, but I did see three migrating flocks  of the smaller Sandhill Cranes, 150 and 75 and 30 birds in a row in the fall on the golf course in Timmins, Ontario.  They were all calling and whooping and croaking just like the Whoopers - what a cacophony of sound!  Sounds just like those flying monkeys in the movie "The Wizard of Oz".

VIDEO OF WHOOPING CRANES "WHOOPING"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=WHOOPING+CRANES+CALLING+WHOOPING&&view=deta...

VIDEO OF WHOOPING CRANES IN FLIGHT BESIDE ULTRALIGHT 
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=WHOOPING+CRANES+CALLING+WHOOPING&&view=deta...

SANDHILL CRANES FLOCK :   SANDHILL CRANES 3
PIC OF COSMOS ULTRALLIGHT :  ZOOM ULTRALIGHT LO MUELLE
PIC OF MIGRATING WHOOPERS AND ULTRALIGHT LEADING:WHOOPING CRANE 13
Just look at those wings !!
LWM
Richard
Your turn Ian  Smiley

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1507 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:25am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Sorry for the tardy response.  Yes, Ian got it.  It is the "COSMOS" Model Phase II. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos_Phase_II  It is a French 2 seat flying wing, ultra-lite trike:   cable-braced, "hang glider style", high wing, weight shift controlled, two seats in tandem - one behind the other, open cockpit, tricycle landing gear, a single engine in pusher configuration, using an Austrian 50 HP Rotax 503 in-line, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke engine.  There are NO flight controls - just a bar to push forward and pull backward to go up or down, and shift your weight left or right to steer it.
     The endangered bird is the Whooping Crane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whooping_crane and the recovery project is "Operation Migration".  http://operationmigration.org/  Between 2001 – 2015, Operation Migration pilots used ultralight aircraft and played the role of surrogate parents to guide captive-hatched and imprinted Whooping cranes along a planned migration route, which began in Wisconsin and ended in Florida.
     After being pushed to the brink of extinction by unregulated hunting and loss of habitat to just 21 wild and two captive whooping cranes by 1941, conservation efforts have led to a limited recovery. As of February 2015, the total population was 603 including 161 captive birds.[2]
     Back in the late 1970s me and my buddy took the hang glider course from Pat Bochuk in Thunder Bay Ontario. He actually set a four hour record flying in the Nor Wester mountain range SW of Thunder bay.  Any way, we rented a hang glider for a day, hauling it up ski runs at Mount Norway Ski Resort.  My last flight did not get enough height as I swooped down the slope and out over a little cliff, catching the bushes with the landing gear and sending me into a nose dive straight down into the rocks of the ski run.  I hit nose first, and swung like a pendulum in the harness, head and face first into the rocks.   Almost an Otto Lilienthal event.  Smashed up my face and glasses on the rocks - I have not been hang gliding since.

PIC OF MIGRATION MAP
WHOOPING CRANE WITH CRAYFISH:  WHOOPING CRANE 16
WHOOPING CRANES FLOCK :  WHOOPING CRANES 15
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1506 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 8:31pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I think Ian got it...

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1505 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:45pm

pb_guy   Online

Likely a French-built machine called a Cosmos, possibly model Phase II, or Phase III.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1504 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well I never knew there were so many ultralight trikes out there, Pegasus, Antares, Mavrick, Northwing, Bionix, Solairus, Evolution etc.....

Not sure if Quicksilver makes a trike?  Ultralights are very fun looking.  My understanding is you don't need a license to fly them!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1503 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Good guess Tom - but it is not the Pegasus Quik ultralight.   Smiley  But the pilot sure must be having a good time flying with his buddies.  Cheesy
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1502 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks like a Pegasus Quik ultralight!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #1501 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 11:58am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - I never noticed the boat propeller mounted beneath the hull.  And I never noticed that my pic was a pusher prop, not the tractor prop on your pics-  Undecided   A very unusual design indeed.  I thought they would just mount an "outboard" motor to that big transom wall at the back of the boat ...
     Well - here is an easy one for any one ...   What is the plane used in the following endangered species recovery project? 
LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1500 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 9:23am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Close enough.  My pictures were of the Booth Flying Boat, which has a different propellor/radiator and seating arrangement than the Booth Baby Flying Boat (I believe one was a development or modification of the other, not sure which version came first).

From  : E. R. Johnson. American Flying Boats and Amphibious Aircraft: An Illustrated History

"Booth Flying Boat (1931) Built sometime in 1931 by H.T. Booth, who lived in Freeport, New York, the two-place Booth flying boat featured a two-bay biplane layout with a tailplane supported by booms running from the wing and hull. A water-cooled engine buried in the hull forward of the cockpit (make and horsepower power unknown) used a geared drive-shaft to turn a tractor propeller mounted on the upper wing. A separate 32-hp marine outboard motor was also installed to drive a boat propeller mounted beneath the hull. Available data does not mention dimensions, weights, or performance, or whether or not the aircraft was actually ever flown. Booth, an ex-Curtiss employee, is reported to have been involved earlier in the design of the Kirkham Air Yacht."

What's next?

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1499 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:24pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I thought you meant because it was shaped like a phone booth - DUH - which it is not - my Bing search never brought up the picture before.  I thought I had to join Pinterest of Getty Images to find these copyrighted images  Huh
THE BOOTH BABY FLYING BOAT: Henry Booth, a well-known aeronautical designer and engineer of Freeport, L.I., has designed a new two-seater baby flying-boat, which when in production will sel for about 1,500 dols. This boat is powered with a four-cylinder 32 h.p. Johnson Outboard Marine Engine, has a wing spread of 28 feet, a top speed of 75 m.p.h., and a landing speed of 36 rn.p.h. Under test the boat reached an altitude of 8,000 feet and consumed only three gallons of petrol an hour. When fully loaded it weighs 700 pounds.
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1498 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:54am

pb_guy   Online

google booth flying boat and look at the images that it comes up with.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1497 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:25am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I tried - I still give up ... you win.  "Uncle".
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #1496 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:55am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Tom and Ian's comments will put you on the path...

IP Logged

Reply #1495 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:00am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - I give up on that flying boat  Sad   Could you give us a few more clues?
LWM

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 103
Send Topic Print