Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting notches on formers and ribs. (Read 6718 times)
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 1:36pm

faif2d   Offline

Stick & Tissue
texas

This is the small tool that I made to cut the bottom of the notch.  It is part of a double edge razor blade snapped to size.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 11:18am

Bredehoft   Offline

Volaré Products
Battle Creek, MI

Hi,

This is George from Shorty's Basement.  I can describe the operation of the notcher.

First, the notcher has a base made of aluminum angle stock with mounting screws.  This allows the sanding bars to be mounted on the angle.  The angle stock has additional functions:  it mounts the sanding bar at a perpendicular angle to the base of the notcher, and it allows the depth of the notch to be set.

The sanding bars are of different thicknesses as shown.  You would select an individual sanding bar to mount on the notcher and tighten the screws, setting the desired depth of the notch.

Next you will use the notcher to sand in a notch into your former or rib.  Sand gradually until the angle surface starts too rub on the former or rib - this indicates the notch is now at the set depth.

Additionally, you can use the sanding bars as individuals - or you can stack them together to create additional thicknesses of notches.

I hope this helps Smiley

--george

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 5:40am

AlexC   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Scotland

How is this tool used?

IP Logged

Sep 20th, 2012 at 11:11pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

This is an attempt to show a way to get those notches cut without breaking the formers.

First, mark where the notches go. On Guillows kits, I find the marks on the plans are better placed than the factory cuts in the wood. Makes for straighter stringers.  Wink

Then cut into the wood with a razor blade. This allows you to place them where you want them. Sometimes thats different than where they really are. Because the wood grain goes up and down, you can just snap the small piece out at the depth you want. I use the blunt tip of the razor. If you want, you can stab the wood at the proper depth to insure the waste snaps out cleanly. If you are making your own parts, this will help.

Hope this helps. Notching tools also help. I will post pics later of some home made notching tools. Hopefully others will share pics of how they notch parts. I have found that often it helps to notch just a hair smaller than you actually need. This allows you room to sand in minor adjustments if you need to get those stringers a little straighter.

Shortys Basement offers a really cool tool for this job, along with several other cool tools at decent prices.

http://shortysbasement.com/index.php?searchStr=notcher&act=viewCat&Submit=Go

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print