Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Burt Rutan and the Beechcraft Starship (Read 40192 times)
Reply #58 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I still have the Starship packed away.  I do need to get it out and complete it.  I'll use the inks to finish this one should be much lighter.  I'd love to have been with you for the tour.  Unfortunately the Starship was too far ahead of it's time.  It's still a fantastic aircraft and pretty competitive with contemporary aircraft.  The business jets are a bit better.  But think of the possibilities with the carbon fibre structure and two jet engines in this setup.   Shocked Wink Cool

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:35pm

faif2d   Offline

Stick & Tissue
texas

I used to work for Raytheon.  I was working with the machining of carbon fiber composites and Beachcraft was working on a composite fuselage jet and had done some interesting work on drilling the composites.  I made a trip to see what they had done and gather some info on what they had learned.  I got a nice tour of the start of the production of the new plane and was then asked was there anything else I was interested in.  I asked if they had a Starship that I could see.  I was driven to an out of the way hanger where there were about 15 or so all parked.  It was very sad actually. Got to climb inside and sit in the pilot seat.  I thought it was a very nicely done piece!

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 7:39pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I'm experiencing the phenomenon of high humidity and it's affect on paint.  So I'll be waiting till a better (read dryer climate comes) I don't want to mess up the finish so the Starship will be awaiting dryer weather.

Thanks for your patience...
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:59pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

still getting set up in WA....

Hope to have the workshop area set up real soon. Then to finish the Starship. Gotta wait till after Christmas.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you modelers out there!!!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:43pm

flyingace46   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

My favorite quote from Mark T. is "golf is the ruin of a good walk" from which I get "golf is the ruin of a good flying site". SmileyOnly slightly funny.

IP Logged

Reply #53 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:24pm

flyingace46   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

[email][/email]Sky9pilot wrote on May 22nd, 2013 at 9:45pm:
Well, got some tissue applied today.  Decided not to do printed tissue.  The ink from my HP printer runs when spritzed with alcohol to shrink the tissue.  So I'll be covering with white Esaki and then I'll be painting the stripes. 

Got the wings covered, the tipsails, nacelles and the canard.  Thought about starting the fuselage but put my finger through a stringer in the fuselage when I picked her up.  So decided it was time to take a rest and work on the fuselage tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics of the progress.  The light through the curtains made the tissue look blue, it's really white.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 5:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sorry for the delays on the Starship... been battling the "building blahs", just no inspiration.  I'm getting a bit more interested in completing her.  I've gotten a response from Mr Scherer who owns the Starship I wish to model.  He shared that the stripes are only three different colors not five.  The top three stripes are the same color just different widths. 

Mr Robert Scherer's response as regards his Starship:
Here are the official factory Beech colors on NC-51:

Matterhorn White                U-4315            Fuselage and Wings
Light Aqua Metallic             44440              Top 3 stripes
Sky Mist Blue Metallic        H7924             2nd stripe from Bottom
Haze Blue Metallic              7870                Bottom Stripe

Tom
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2013 at 12:32pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 11:31am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Thyme,

I'm trying to update the plans as I build.  You know that as you build something from scratch, there are things in the practical build that you missed in the theory of the plan.  I'm still new to this designer stuff.  Not being an engineer and math being way down on my abilities list, the designer skill is TLAR (That Looks About Right)!  So once it's built and trimmed.  I'll make the final draft and make it available to any who want it, with the notation that it's still a work in progress. 

I'll try to make it as complete as I can.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #50 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 1:02am

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Shocked Shocked Shocked
That is fantastic!! You have really outdone yourself this time.
The wood work blew my mind but the covered plane is even better. I never could have gotten the tissue that smooth.!

btw, one of the guys at work saw it and is stunned. He thought I was kidding, till he saw the pics.

Are you gonna offer plans for it when it's finished?

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #49 - May 24th, 2013 at 8:13pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Hi Y'all,

Got the fuselage covered.  Tried to do each side in one piece with wet tissue.  Too many curves.  So after cutting out the wrinkles at the top and bottom used strips to cover the top and bottom and am fairly pleased that there are very few wrinkles now! 

It's going to need some ballast in the nose section.  Took her outside for some pics and with the breeze she kept sitting on her ventral fin. 

Here's the mockup in her skin. 

Still need to finish props, spinners, windows and then the trim scheme.  She is coming along.

Tom

oops forgot the pics...

IP Logged

Reply #48 - May 22nd, 2013 at 9:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, got some tissue applied today.  Decided not to do printed tissue.  The ink from my HP printer runs when spritzed with alcohol to shrink the tissue.  So I'll be covering with white Esaki and then I'll be painting the stripes. 

Got the wings covered, the tipsails, nacelles and the canard.  Thought about starting the fuselage but put my finger through a stringer in the fuselage when I picked her up.  So decided it was time to take a rest and work on the fuselage tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics of the progress.  The light through the curtains made the tissue look blue, it's really white.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #47 - May 15th, 2013 at 9:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I can't believe how long the fiddly bits are taking...

I finished the gear today.  Added the gear doors and hangers.  Painted the wheels and struts.

Carved the exhaust pipes for the two nacelles.  I may have to remake one that just doesn't quite measure up in size.

Here's some pics of the fiddly bits.  Covering is next.  I'm trying to decide if I want to have a go at printed tissue for the marking/stripes and door outlines.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #46 - May 15th, 2013 at 8:58pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Awesome Tom!!!!!
Really taking shape now.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #45 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Spent a couple of hours figuring out the gear struts.  Every time I think that I ready to do something I find the supplies I thought I had are in the box that didn't make it in the move! Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes

So being creative, I've made the struts from "T" pins and toothpicks wrapped in bond paper.  I still have to add the levers for the struts, gear doors, and axle bearings.  Main wheels from foamboard.  Nose wheel from balsa. But as always gotta mockup the gear to see how she sits.  There is some adjustments.  One thing about mockups and pics.  You see all the things that need to be fixed. 

The clothespin clamp is for ballast... wouldn't rest on nose gear without it!

So it's all good.

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #44 - May 9th, 2013 at 1:53pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Jon,

I recently purchased a cheap video camera.  Will have to talk the wifey into being camera man/woman for me.  I'll have to figure out the video editing/posting part and then post it on our Youtube channel.

Still lots to learn, re: things associated with this hobby and posting it on the net!  That's what keep the mind young, even though the body keeps on ticking up the years! Smiley

I will definitely toss her when the time comes.  But I'll still have the pics to look at when I want to see the bones.

Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print