Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making Wing to Fuselage fillets (Read 2364 times)
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:47pm

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Good looking fillets are hard, 'fer sure'!!

I've found that the trailing edge fillet poses fewer problems than the leading edge.

In the past, I've used spackling compound to make a fillet. After sanding it to shape, I applied a coat of dope to seal the surface.

My current build is a P-40B/C (the Flying Tiger model) from a Whitman plan. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7363

I've always liked the looks of this model of the P-40. Also, one of the P-40 units involved in the Pearl Harbor attack was the 78 Pursuit Sq...years later, I was a pilot in the 78
Tactical Fighter Sq flying A-10s in England.

I'm using the P-40 build as a chance to try out the techniques that I've learned about here...many thanks to everyone for their help!!

p40_78fs_b.jpg (82 KB | 9 )
p40_78fs_b.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 10:53am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

AK - I just went out on RC Groups. com looking for the link and was unable to locate it, however the entire technique is right here on our site, you passed it on the way down here. The site is www.rcgroups.com and you will need to sign up and then you can scour the site. Just know, there are hundreds of topics by and about Pat Daily and Dave Rees. Happy reading and be sure to bookmark the site, lots of god stuff comes out of there.
New Builder
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:59am

alfakilo   Offline
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:44pm:
I highly recommend this tutorial... By Pat Daily that I found on RCGroups

I'm unable to find that tutorial. Do you still have a link for it?

Edit: 3/8/2018 the pictures below are the article by Pat!

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:26pm by Sky9pilot »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 7:44am

Pat   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Midlothian, Virginia

Glad that tutorial on the Dave Rees method of making fillets was useful.  I had forgotten that I posted it so many years ago.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:56am by Pat »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 5:37pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Fillets contiued:

Now that the mold is dry, touch it up with some sandpaper so it is relatively smooth with no lumps. Cut some typing paper to resemble the filet dimensions and do a trial fit along the sides. When you get it about right use the paper template to trace it on the Bristol Board paper and cut it out. Now lay it along the filet area and make sure it fits pretty well and use some pins to hold it in place. Spray lightly with water and let it sit for a few minutes--don't need a lot of water. After the water soaks in, gently use your finger to push the Bristol Board into the form and hold in place with pins. Be careful not to rub the surface of the Bristol Board too much or it will begin to ball up. When you get it right, use your hair dryer or heat gun to go over it and dry the Bristol Board. Quick passes work--don't melt the foam if you can help it--I melted some as I got it too hot. Let the whole thing dry for an hour or two. Unpin it and you have a formed filet that actually is pretty tough. Use RC56 canopy glue along the edges of the fillet to glue it to the fuselage and tape gently in place if necessary. Tape should be low tack or it will pull the coating on the Bristol Board. Use a damp paper towel to clean up any excess glue. Let it dry and then a couple of coats of thin dope and then color paint. You will also have to make a small piece for the rear on the bottom the same way you did this one. Now you are finished. Maybe the photos will help.

Once again, here are the finished fillets glued to the fuselage, painted with two coats of thin dope and sprayed with aluminum enamel. They are very strong, light and much easier to make than balsa or foam fillets.

Pat

IMG_3264.jpg (43 KB | 25 )
IMG_3264.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg (48 KB | 22 )
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg (39 KB | 22 )
IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3267.jpg (56 KB | 15 )
IMG_3267.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg (44 KB | 17 )
IMG_3268.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 5:36pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

In Pats words:
I have been pretty busy with other things lately, but thought I would update you on the Pfalz.

Fuselage Fillets:

I have made a set of lower fillets where the wing meets the fuselage. How to do it? Here is how I did it. I used the tried and proven technique that ace free flight scaler, Dave Rees. He taught us how to do this awhile back and it really is easy and simple if you want to spend a little time to do it. First you need to get some Strathmore paper, called Bristol Board, at the craft shop (Michaels)--you can get tablets or individual sheets . I used 400 weight because this model is larger than most free flight jobs, so I thought heavier paper would be better--see tablet below.

Second, make a dummy form from blue or pink foam -- essentially you want to carve the foam (coarse sandpaper works well or a electric sander) to resemble the curve on the fuselage where it meets the wings. Doesn't have to be scale--just the idea of the curve--you will need to do right and left sides. Then cut the wing saddle and put in stub foam wings with the top sanded to the airfoil of your plane. Use 5 minute expoy for this. Glue a couple of balsa triangles that simulate the rear of the filet where it will meet up with the fuselage. This whole process takes about 30 minutes. Not a big deal. Then use some lightweight spakling compound and a wet finger to sculpt the area of the filet and let dry overnite. This is very quick going except for the drying time. I think it took about 30 minutes to build the form.
See the photos of my blue foam dummy mold below.

Pat

IMG_3248_001.jpg (38 KB | 20 )
IMG_3248_001.jpg
IMG_3251_001.jpg (27 KB | 21 )
IMG_3251_001.jpg
IMG_3260__1__001.jpg (44 KB | 13 )
IMG_3260__1__001.jpg
IMG_3260_001.jpg (44 KB | 18 )
IMG_3260_001.jpg
IMG_3262_001.jpg (38 KB | 20 )
IMG_3262_001.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 5:35pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

In Pats words:
I have been pretty busy with other things lately, but thought I would update you on the Pfalz.

Fuselage Fillets:

I have made a set of lower fillets where the wing meets the fuselage. How to do it? Here is how I did it. I used the tried and proven technique that ace free flight scaler, Dave Rees. He taught us how to do this awhile back and it really is easy and simple if you want to spend a little time to do it. First you need to get some Strathmore paper, called Bristol Board, at the craft shop (Michaels)--you can get tablets or individual sheets . I used 400 weight because this model is larger than most free flight jobs, so I thought heavier paper would be better--see tablet below.
Pat

IMG_3248.jpg (38 KB | 19 )
IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_3251.jpg (27 KB | 22 )
IMG_3251.jpg
IMG_3260__1_.jpg (44 KB | 15 )
IMG_3260__1_.jpg
IMG_3260.jpg (44 KB | 21 )
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg (38 KB | 25 )
IMG_3262.jpg
IMG_3263_001.jpg (58 KB | 17 )
IMG_3263_001.jpg

IP Logged

Mar 10th, 2015 at 9:44pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Have you struggled with making wing fillets? 

Pat Daily did a tutorial on RCGroups of how Dave Rees made wing fillets.  So in his words, "I have made a set of lower fillets where the wing meets the fuselage. How to do it? Here is how I did it. I used the tried and proven technique that ace free flight scaler, Dave Rees. He taught us how to do this awhile back and it really is easy and simple if you want to spend a little time to do it. First you need to get some Strathmore paper, called Bristol Board, at the craft shop (Michaels)--you can get tablets or individual sheets . I used 400 weight because this model is larger than most free flight jobs, so I thought heavier paper would be better--see tablet below."

I highly recommend this tutorial... By Pat Daily that I found on RCGroups copied and pasted right here in following pics.

Sky9pilot

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2018 at 11:53am by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print