LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

That flight was
magical !!
   Cheesy
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 10:06am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks for the great video...looks like you got a great flyer there!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 7:37pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Here's another video of the Wright Amount of Wrong flying...just to prove that I can keep it away from the walls and other obstacles at Stonehurst. Wink

https://youtu.be/24Zxn94idmM

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great to hear about the repair and flight...but unfortunately the next step...been there and done that!!! Embarrassed Cry
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

By the way, I did repair the earlier prototype (blue and yellow) with the broken nose.  Flying it last week at O.F.F.C. I flew it into a wall, with no damage, but I broke the nose again myself when I picked it up.  Sheesh! Sad

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 5:51pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Interesting design KF...great to see this one!
tom

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 3:08pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Finally! Here is a picture of the production version of the Wright Amount of Wrong,  The kit will be available from my web site on Thursday, 2/02/17.  ( Yes, there are wheel pants in the kit.)

Howard

photo_85_.JPG (123 KB | 49 )
photo_85_.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 2:20pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Some of the preliminary repairs have already started.  The damaged nose has been trimmed off and the break in the wing leading edge has been repaired (visible in the photo if you look closely), but the rebuilding of the nose will have to wait for my "G" Challenge entries (15th) and the Mk 4 prototype.  However, Thanksgiving is coming up and that whole week will be shot, we're hosting, and I want to get the Wright Amount of Wrong, and the Irish Jumping Bean into kit before December 15th, so repairing the Mk 3 prototype will be on a time available basis.

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 7:39pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Kf, that actually looks like most of my airplanes when try to trim them Cheesy. How long will she be in for repairs?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 6:55pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Amazing how these models seem to have a mind of their own!  Sorry about the crunch (ouch!!!) but as you say, she looks very rebuildable!  Hang in there and happier landings!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:47pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

So, after sorting out the stagger and incidence errors in the Mk3 prototype I was still having some problems with it flying.  It occurred to me that sometimes you build a model that just wants to fly the other way.  I have been trimming "right/right" lately so I decided to see if it wanted to fly left. 

Voila! the flying characteristics became very close to the original prototype.  It seemed to be behaving itself very well, indoors, so i decided to see what times I could really get out of it.

As soon at it left the floor I realized I had put too many winds in the motor.  It started climbing like it was outdoors.  It bounced off the 24 foot ceiling several times but recovered like a light stick model.  It circled between the lights several times before it hit one, but recovered nicely and climbed back up to the ceiling. It  hit three more lights and the guy wires for one of the basketball back stops but managed to recover nicely each time.  I thought I would get a very good time despite all the collisions but the last one put it in direct line with the flat wall over the seating area.  It hit the wall and slid straight down the wall, inverted, nose down, which would not have been a problem if the wall went all the way to the floor, but this one stops 12 feet up and it picked up velocity without enough room to pull out and went straight into the floor.

Oh well, it's a prototype and I learned a lot from it.  (And, it is rebuildable!)  The next one may be the production version.

oops.JPG (113 KB | 38 )
oops.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Aug 21st, 2016 at 5:32pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I've found a 7.5 inch Czech prop that is very similar and seems to be readily available.  Will let you know how it works.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Aug 20th, 2016 at 7:38am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Howard, your quest for a NP prop had me digging thru my prop box, where I found one with the same shape from Easy Built.  Very well finished and quite light, but mine is a 5.5" version.  I haven't checked the EB site yet, but that may be an alternative for you.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:22pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Now this is why you don't just draw a plan and put it out there as a kit without testing it!

I took my version 3 prototype of the Wright Amount of Wrong to the Grassy Knoll this morning for some outdoor testing.  It was a bit humid since the sprinklers had run just before I got there but otherwise great flying conditions.  Except that it wouldn't fly!

https://youtu.be/zBjBqPyasGk

I had steamed the warps out of the wings the night before so I knew that wasn't it.  Aerodynamically it should be exactly the same airplane as the earlier versions except for a slightly different fuselage profile.  I put the same motor in the original version, used the same number of turns and got something completely different.

https://youtu.be/VWzmNvu_fZA

There was not even a grams difference in weight between the two models.  I sat down in my camp chair (You do bring a camp chair to the flying field, don't you?) and studied the two models closely.  A disturbing clue was that the Version 3 model needed some nose weight.  There had to be something different about the moments.  I held the models belly to belly and the cause was readily apparent.  When I redrew the plans, somehow (And, you really have to wonder how I did this on a computer.), I moved the lower wing forward by 1/2 inch!

I had some testing to do on the Bostillation this morning but after I finished that I cut the lower wing off the saddle, slid it back as far as I could, changing the incidence, and glued it back on.  This made it fly a little better (No video, the camera had run out of battery by then.) but still not as good as the earlier versions.  Well, I knew I had some re-drawing to do anyway.  There will definitely be another prototype before the kit!

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 8:19am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Nice looking plane KF!! That color scheme is somehow just perfect for it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print