Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PB_guy's model building lessons (Read 4901 times)
Reply #40 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 10:06pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Two hours of building yesterday with my student. I made up some landing gear, sandwiching with light 3/32" sheet. She learned about sanding techniques, but still needs a lot of practice.
ian

Landing_gear1.jpg (76 KB | 53 )
Landing_gear1.jpg
Landing_gear2.jpg (47 KB | 62 )
Landing_gear2.jpg
Bones2_001.jpg (79 KB | 62 )
Bones2_001.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 9:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alright Ian...keep us posted on the progress!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 7:54pm

pb_guy   Offline

My student returned from her cruise, but we only spent a half hour today on the project. she glued in the end ribs on the stab, the second set of stringers on the wing and built that little fin. We are planning on doing  the work on Saturdays at her grandmother's house so we can work longer and finish more quickly. It is summer after all.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 5:56pm

pb_guy   Offline

Although i would be in favour of deleting the LG entirely, it takes away from the model's appearance while in home storage, that is, it would look less like an airplane.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 5:28pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Ian, after I deleted the LG she flew straight up and higher than before any other flights.

Love watching your build progress.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:19am

Bargle   Offline
Oh crumbs
East Tennessee

pb_guy wrote on May 21st, 2016 at 12:48am:
I don't like their landing gear setup. I will probably put some light wire in for LG support, rather than just using it to stiffen the front of the LG strut.
Ian

Neither do I. I've built the stock set-up twice. Once because I didn't know better, once because contest rules required it.
What I changed to doing is making a sandwich of 3 layers of 1/32" firm balsa with an .032 bent wire LG in the middle. Seems to hold up OK.

Sure it's a wrinkly mess, but it flies.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:23pm

pb_guy   Offline

School is out as of today. My student is going on a cruise and I am heading over to Abbotsford for a little while, so building will be a bit hit and miss for the next little while. We did about 45 minutes work at our last session. We removed the wing from the board and installed the first set of wing stringers. She built the rudder and stab on the plan.
ian

stab_rudder1.jpg (82 KB | 64 )
stab_rudder1.jpg
wingStringers1.jpg (76 KB | 66 )
wingStringers1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #33 - May 29th, 2016 at 4:40pm

pb_guy   Offline

Just a few minutes at the building table today. We had a potluck at church today.
Initial wing dihedral added, the wingtips. The first crossmembers of the fuselage were added. We used elastic bands from the "loom bands" craze for clamps.
ian

Dihedral1.jpg (96 KB | 86 )
Dihedral1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #32 - May 25th, 2016 at 7:34am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Ian, I will watch to see this airplane progress and wait to see your flight videos.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #31 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:50pm

pb_guy   Offline

I forgot my camera on "build day", so I went back today for some pics. We built the basic wing and the first formers were glued into the fuselage.
The ribs at the joints are not glued in yet. That happens when we put the dihedral in. I showed my student how to use a couple of small triangles to get a perfect angle on the fuselage formers, and while that dried we built the wing. When we had the wing glued, the glue was set on the fuselage formers, so we added the other fuselage side and glued it in place.
ian

Javelin_fuse2.jpg (48 KB | 57 )
Javelin_fuse2.jpg
Javelin_wing1.jpg (44 KB | 97 )
Javelin_wing1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #30 - May 21st, 2016 at 12:48am

pb_guy   Offline

With this kit, the die-cut wood is good quality 1/20th sheet. The Strip wood is, however, light oak quality. I think that the "build by numbers" instructions are quite confusing, so I am mostly ignoring them. I don't like their landing gear setup. I will probably put some light wire in for LG support, rather than just using it to stiffen the front of the LG strut.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #29 - May 20th, 2016 at 3:10pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I'll follow this build with great interest.  I've got to find something for my fetchermites to build this summer.  This might be just the kit.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2016 at 12:48pm

pb_guy   Offline

So, although several kids want to, only one girl can build at this time. So we are building the Guillows Javelin. This plan could use some modification, but we won't do that for this build. This is how far we got last Sunday.
ian

Javelin_fuse1.jpg (98 KB | 96 )
Javelin_fuse1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #27 - May 5th, 2016 at 5:18am

SC Kirk   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Thanks, I will pick up some roof flashing or have my brother in law save me some thin duct stock ( he does AC install)

Any landing you walk away from is a good one!
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 11:13am

pb_guy   Offline

I tried cardstock and a soda can initially, and it is easy to make the template, but it tends to bend too easily. I would have used a tin can, but it is hard to find a piece long enough to do the job. However, I had some thin aluminum sheet that I had picked up at a hardware store 30 years ago, and it forms fairly easily and is easily filed to final shape. You could probably get a piece of aluminum flashing that is used when roofing, or a piece of zinc that is used on roofs for moss control.

Regarding the kid's group, I am awaiting parents responses before beginning the next project. One girl can't wait to get started, two have dropped out, and there is interest from others.

ian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print