Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nail Polish for the beginner (Read 1768 times)
Reply #11 - May 30th, 2017 at 5:29pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

No it doesnt take the place of dope.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2017 at 2:46pm

Fliegerhorst   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Texas

I have a beginner question--
Does the nail polish take the place of airplane dope?

Haven't built a tissue model since 1963----

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 2:49pm

jbcrash   Offline

Stick & Tissue

I purchased a n air brush from Harbor Freight for #15
works great.
jbcrash

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 9:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Airbrushes are really nice to have.  I have used two Paasche H model.  They were external mix air and paint.  Some have recommended the step up models with internal mix paint and the control of the paint by the button internally.   They can be a real handy tool.  Maybe one day I'll move up to the internal mix brush.  There are several good makers, Iwata, Paasche, Master some of the lesser professional models by Badger, and Testors have pretty good models.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 6:48pm

thymekiller   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Missouri

excellent article!! Thanks for posting it.  Smiley

Maybe we could pick brains and get advice on spray guns, ect. ?
Thinking of buying one from micro mark. Adjustable for volume and pattern, but not sure if that's enough. I'm just a beginner. 

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 1:35am

Gmodel   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

staubkorb wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 5:35am:
Whatever you do, DO NOT even think of using wifey's/GF's/Mama's nail polish stash for a "quick test"!

I get what your saying  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 9:48am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

I have never really seen a big difference Staub in the .99 cent bottles or the 7.99 bottles. Some of the Dollar type stores will clearance it off when they are getting new stuff in. I did recently buy some Aluminum colored and this brand is able to be buffed to a shine as is. I figure it must have clear mixed in it as well. So mainly the difference in price range is proportional to your thinning ratio. Most high ends seem to have over a 50% thinning,which stretches the paint a tad,but still doesnt even come close to the dollars spent over the cheaper. It would be interesting to see how many manufacurers actually produce the nail polish itself. Kinda like Rustoleum making half the model paints for sale..lol

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 5:32am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Any preferred brand?  I have no idea what the price ranges are or how the quality compares with the different brands, but the price of nail polish over here is quite high (ANY kind of solvent based paint, for that matter)  It is much more economical (for me) to find an automotive paint store and have them mix up a small batch of the color I want.  If there is a weird nail color that I HAVE to have, a good APS can match it and will be able to RE-match at any later date (they save all oddball mix formulas).

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 1:49pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Here is something else I failed to mention and just assumed people know.
--- When you buy your nail polish, I always buy it as if the store will never get in anymore. If I know
I need 2 half ounce bottles at minimum, I buy 4. If they only have 3 bottles in stock I make a decision on another color or finding another branch of the store for the same color. It invariably is always the last 2 bottles on the shelf that are the eye catcher. And I always keep a small pocket notebook around to keep my measurements and mixes in for a particular paint job.
  - I deleted a message before I could answer it. So whoever it was I am answering here.
I let my paint gas off for a few days if I am not using my dehydrator. It all depends on the weather conditions at the time. And if you can see your flake standing up while spraying...your paint is to dry. Either decrease psi or increase your paint flow. And yes you can add clearcoat into your paint while mixing. It really seems to pop with hues of purples and pinks,yellows etc. I have mixed it in 2:1, 2 being paint, but I know guys that have done 50/50 with no problem.
Also you can use any acrylic flattening agent in your paint, but you need to do the math..lol

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 10:51am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

Mine is the other way around. She is always getting in my stash..lol!! I have honest to god taken to hiding the bottles of clearcoat.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 5:35am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Whatever you do, DO NOT even think of using wifey's/GF's/Mama's nail polish stash for a "quick test"!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Jul 19th, 2016 at 8:40pm

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

There are quite a few vids on Youtube about using nail polish for painting. Most are straight forward but leave out a few simple details.
Why use nail polish? Because its cheap and comes in some fantastic colors. Metalics,pearls and some just plain jane colors.
I treat all nail polish as a acrylic paint. Some say enamel on them but I have never used any yet that didnt meet the acrylic standards. Lets get the show on the road...
Thinner--- I personally only use a high quality acrylic paint thinner. Nothing from the hardware store, Wally World etc.
I buy a quart of Dupont in a medium temp range.
Always make sure you buy enough, they come in 1/4 oz, 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz etc. It just depends on the manufacturer of them. Also make sure to have some disposable filters, when I got my last quart of thinner the salesman gave me enough for 10 years..lol.
Polish in hand,,shake the heck out of them. (For this we will pretend I am using two 1/2 oz bottles of nail polish.)
Strain both through the funnel and I refill my empty bottles with thinner. Reshake and I dump 1 full bottle into mixing jar and 3/4 of the other. Mix and check your thinning. Its the same as most paint, runs like milk. This is the critical step..not all nail polish is 50/50. I have had some be 65 thinner/ 35 paint. I spray at 21-23 psi and always have my paint puddle be circular. I almost always paint right to left which allows my brush to knock off any bits and pieces or the stray cat hair..lol.
One other point I might put out there..metallics and pearls might make you have to adjust your specific brush. This was a short tutorial and probably not really needed. But next time you are in a store, check out the nail polish aisle and imagine all those wild colors on your build.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print