HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Guillow's 500 Series (Read 3380 times)
Reply #29 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:45am

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

Thanks Tom great points/advice. I have gotten much better at 4ch RC flying. I am getting much better at video. The EFF i think will get better.
https://youtu.be/-o_nzuGUc9o

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 11:30pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Wid...are you gliding your models before flight to check cg and for any warps etc.?
I'm curious re: the amount of dihedral in your models, looks like it might be a bit too much.  It looks like when the power quits the model drops a wing and stalls in.  Wishing you happier landings!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 6:40pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

I am having trouble with my landings. I think i need a smaller battery.

https://youtu.be/XG0ME0Vv8uk

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 3:34pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

My 500 series kit flew nicely till it hit a tree. I will repair and try again  .https://youtu.be/kCwKDjyl0T8

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:43am

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

Very interesting post ian. I never had the Cox Stuka. I did always wonder how it would fly. I still have my Cox 0.10 motor. I don't have the starter accessories. The only problems i had is that the Cox motors are so loud. Oh and the hot fluel . So far i have found no problems with EFF.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:30pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That pic of the Cox Stuka brought back some memories. I bought one in 1967 at a 5 and dime for $20 from my paper route money. It was a bit too heavy to fly really well, but it did fly. When it eventually disintegrated on impact, I rescued the engine and put it in different guillows models converted for C/L. I still have that engine in my parts box.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

I remember these Stuka models as a kid. I will cover my Stuka with black tissue. 

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 7:17pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

I built a J. Mc Hard designed Stuka one time. I may build another one as EFF.  Unfortunately I'm still having a difficult time with rubber power.

https://youtu.be/_1qGuCvVK3w

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 8:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Good start Wid...
The Stuka is on my to do list also but it's down the line a ways!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 1:17pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

I have the rudder and elevator rough framed. I do like laser cut kits better. I think they look better than hand cut part kits. However, this model is all about flying. I don't think I'll win any bonus pionts for appearances

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:00am

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

Thanks for the tip Sky9pilot. I will be using Guillow's parts and Contest Balsa Wood.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 10:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Haven't tried it yet myself...but was reading the FAC Newsletter and saw where some of the masters are using gurney flaps (1/16" sq balsa strips) placed on the flying surfaces at the trailing edge, where needed to get the turn desired or the elevator adjustment desired.  If it's too much they just trim the strip shorter or if it needs more lengthen it!  I'm planning on trying this when the weather here turns nicer!
Just a thought.  Should work on EFF as well!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 8:26pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

Good eye Sky9pilot. It was windy today and on the previous flight the model did have a close encounter with a tree. It loosened the rudder. I was later able to repair. I will wait till the next good weather day to fly again. I have a new video technique that is better but will take some getting used to. Anyway the model is still in good condition and hopefully will get a good video next time.

This old video i think shows that the 500 series Stuka does fly well

https://youtu.be/jI8V5fkk6_U

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 6:57pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

No disrespect taken, just thought your rubber powered TBF looked really good and was flying great.  I understand your appreciation of the EFF and enjoy your builds!  The TBF picture just posted is interesting looking.  The rudder does cause me some concern (looks like it might be coming loose).  I hope it didn't lead to any problems with the flight.

Please keep up the great post with your EFF and I look forward to the Stuka! Smiley
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 3:03pm

Widdog   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
USA

Thanks Sky9pilot very interesting post. I didn't mean to diminish rubber power flight. I have total respect for the rubber power modelers. However, this category is Electric Free Flight. Everyone has their own opinions.

Even though i didn't get good video the experimental 500 series kit flew great EFF. I will now build another 500 series EFF.  I am thinking the Stuka.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print