Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print
Schneider Trophy Cook up? (Read 21735 times)
Reply #393 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 5:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well the weather here has been too damp to spray paint outside.  I'm hoping it clears up and warms up a bit more before I try to put some paint on the tissue.  I've still got some wrinkles that need to be dealt with.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #392 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 9:11pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

That looks really cool! Your ongoing 'recovery' efforts are tremendous. Some models are just an uphill climb the whole way - others only offer the slightest resistance to fabrication. I think one of the best aspects of model craft is taking on these challenges and hanging with it.
This build has me looking at the Dumas Curtiss RC-3 again

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #391 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, this has been a challenge with the tissue.  Wing stripped and recovered.  I've now sealed the tissue with Ezedope and will be painting tomorrow after everything has had a night to cure.  I changed the grain on the wing tissue and things tightened up better.  I'll be posting pictures later.  I think it will be ok if she doesn't start sagging again.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #390 - May 27th, 2017 at 6:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

That's what I was planning Neal,  but it's too wrinkled today.  I was hoping for more shrinkage...but no!  So there will be some stripping of the tissue this coming week!   Tongue Cry Wink
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #389 - May 26th, 2017 at 10:07pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

As you said Tom, if you're gonna paint...why re-cover?  I mean...if it's tight, etc...look at it as primer for your red paint.  Just my thoughts.  I've used domestic tissue for years...and I've never had it bleed like that...interesting.  Still...paint will cover it nicely...even a light coat.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #388 - May 26th, 2017 at 5:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got some of the mojo back but haven't mastered the covering in the humid Pacific Northwest!  I also had trouble with running out of the good red tissue.  I am planning on painting anyway but this was a bit of a setback.  then found some red tissue but it was domestic from Dollar Store, bigger mistake. 
The starboard side of the fuselage is done in the Dollar Store red tissue and it bled all over my hands while applying it wet. Tongue Embarrassed Shocked

I had to recover the wing bottom twice and then the white tissue I thought was Esaki, wasn't!!  So when shrunk started to split along the ribs of the starboard wing and along the turbulator strip on the port wing.  I'm seriously considering recovering both the top and bottom of the wing again.   Tongue Cry Embarrassed

Makes it hard to get the mojo back when this happens!

Here's some pictures anyway.... the camera is very generous! Roll Eyes Shocked Wink
Tom
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2017 at 7:37pm by Sky9pilot »  

1st_tissue_1.jpg (81 KB | 9 )
1st_tissue_1.jpg
1st_tissue_2.jpg (79 KB | 15 )
1st_tissue_2.jpg
1st_tissue_3.jpg (70 KB | 10 )
1st_tissue_3.jpg
1st_tissue_5.jpg (73 KB | 10 )
1st_tissue_5.jpg
1st_tissue_6.jpg (90 KB | 11 )
1st_tissue_6.jpg
1st_tissue_7.jpg (66 KB | 13 )
1st_tissue_7.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #387 - May 16th, 2017 at 4:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Sorry the pics didn't happen.  I got the floats covered.  I used all the red tissue I could see at the moment but didn't realize that the wifey had put some of her Christmas red tissue on top of my pile and when I'd used up my red Easy Built tissue I grabbed a strip to finish off the fuselage.  Well it went on ok but it's much lighter and bled all over my hands and a little on my jeans.  So I'll be painting the MC-72.  I didn't like the first motor tube so I got a 3/4" dowel and made another one out of 1/32" balsa.  I like this one better but now have to remake all the end caps and key them to the tube will not slip under power.

I hope to cover the wing and empennage later today. Took a lunch break and had some leftover BBQ ribs my son made for his mother on Mother's Day.  Ummmy!  Grin Wink Smiley To bad she won't get any, she's in Texas visiting her mother.  I think the building mojo may be coming back.  I'm starting to look forward to getting this thing finished.  I've got a couple of models to do, and Bob's Hurricanes have inspired me to do a 27" or so Hurri!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #386 - May 11th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well I've made some progress on the MC-72.  Got some tissue on and will have some pictures later today. 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #385 - May 2nd, 2017 at 7:39pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well I spent half the day putting my floats on a diet and re-stringering the floats after cutting away most of the spine and formers.  Put them on the scale and found that the scale was on the wrong setting so I weighed the floats and now they're 30 grams.  So I don't know what they weighed before!!!  Ooops! Embarrassed Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy Wink
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #384 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 6:57pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bob,
The only change I'd make is to use epoxy glue instead of super glue. I suggest making the strut/tongue first then fit the slot to the tongue. Much easier to get a snug fit that way!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #383 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 5:38pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, thanks for the last two photos they gave me a brain storm on how I can attach the floats to the R3 finally.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #382 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 5:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well Don on HPA asked for the weight.  I had been afraid to weight this thing with those, using the vernacular of "Scotty" on Star Trek, ample floats, and the motor tube that she would be a Miss Piggy!  To my amazement she just comes out 47.1 grams.  Those ample floats and struts come out to 20g.  Keeping the empennage light has worked out they are just 1 gram. Motor tube so far is 5 grams.  The fuselage with scoop and turtle deck weighs in at 11 grams.  So the floats are the heaviest components.  If all else fails I can pull them out and fly her with no gear!!!

Here is the closeups of the strut tongues and sockets: They are just friction fit which is fairly tight, I've already got to repair one strut fairing from taking it apart and putting them back together.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #381 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:38pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alright Bob,
I recommend a new Xacto blade for all that cutting! Smiley Wink
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #380 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 1:27pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

The ribs needed to be re-cut and the LE was shaped from new balsa and I started the upper right wing.

Curtiss_R3c__077.JPG (241 KB | 13 )
Curtiss_R3c__077.JPG
Curtiss_R3c__074.JPG (189 KB | 11 )
Curtiss_R3c__074.JPG
Curtiss_R3c__075.JPG (214 KB | 12 )
Curtiss_R3c__075.JPG
Curtiss_R3c__076.JPG (216 KB | 14 )
Curtiss_R3c__076.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #379 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 6:32pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I feel much better about attaching the floats after the photos that Tom, Ian, Brad, and Terry have posted on their different construction approaches.

THANKS GUYS!

Bob

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 27
Send Topic Print