Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Schneider Trophy Cook up? (Read 32523 times)
Reply #442 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 6:56pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I know the feeling- I've been dead in the water on the two plans builds while I wait for Sig to saw up a balsa tree, so I decided to take advantage of a break in the weather to do a few trimming flights with the Monocoupe. I managed to find the one rock in the carefully groomed lawn and knock the gear off on the second try. I had flashbacks to the burning styrene models of my youth, but figured I'd just mess up the video.

IP Logged

Reply #441 - Jul 26th, 2017 at 4:35pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Did I mention that this model has fought me every step of the way????? Sad Embarrassed Roll Eyes Wink Shocked

I carefully added the engine intake scoop on top of the cowling and made sure it was straight.  Added a rubber band to hold it down securely...but forgot to make sure the rubber band tension was even on both sides. Embarrassed Cry  Now my scoop is off line.  Will look at a correction later. Amazing how pictures will show just how well things are going or NOT! Roll Eyes Cheesy Wink

I painted on the bronze/gold color cooling panels and somehow the metalic flakes are not omnidirectional.  I could see the panels in the florescent lighting but in the direct sunlight you see the coper/gold color.   Huh Embarrassed Cry   I'm not going to remask and repaint these panels.  If I were doing this over or again, I'd cover in gold tissue and paint on the separating lines. 

This is becoming a mojo killing model!  I will not finish the contra prop system on this one but will make it a single prop to see if it will glide.  Then wind it up and if she crashes, Oh Well!

Just gonna finish this ASAP and it is what it is!
Here's the shots of the mockup after the cooling panels are painted.
Tom

P.S.  I'm considering a Viking funeral for this one!!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #440 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 4:39pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Spinner is looking good Craig...as for balancing the prop I'd recommend scrapping with an exacto knife the back side of the heavy blade.  Then finish sand with 320 or 400 grit paper.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #439 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 1:00pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Between the race cars and the P-16, I've been neglecting the SB6. I did take a crack at building my first scratch spinner. I laminated it up from 3/16" balsa on a 1/32" ply base, drilled it, and interference-fit a dowel in it tight enough to sand it to shape in my DeWalt "portable lathe." Then, using a brand-new scalpel blade as a parting tool, I split it in half. I whacked out enough material to jam the prop in, and hogged out enough in the front cap to let the prop-shaft hook have room to breath.
If I ever decide to stretch-wind it, I left options open. The front cap is pinned on...
Of course, it's a Peck's Prop so I might have to drill holes in it to get it balanced Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2017 at 4:29pm by Craig 3 »  

IMG_6320.JPG (53 KB | 6 )
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG (59 KB | 8 )
IMG_6322.JPG
IMG_6325.JPG (61 KB | 7 )
IMG_6325.JPG
IMG_6342.JPG (87 KB | 10 )
IMG_6342.JPG
IMG_6338.JPG (22 KB | 15 )
IMG_6338.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #438 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:31pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Tom, shes a keeper Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #437 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:47pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Acetone or fingernail polish remover (basically the same stuff) to remove super glue.  Lacquer thinner is often effective in breaking down these glues also.  You want to be careful using any of these items and not be inhaling the fumes and protect your skin with these products. 
latex or rubber gloves are a good idea when handling these products.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #436 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:16pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Tom - that's great info!
One more question the ... What is the solvent for Super Glue Cyanoacrylate 10 second glue - The little plastic bottles of solvent "Un-Cure" are pretty expensive ... Thanks
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #435 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:21pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Duco cement diluted with acetone 50/50 is used on all balsa constructions.  I apply it on both pieces to be joined and let set for 10-15 seconds so it will penetrate the wood then wet one of the sides of the joint with a dab of Duco again and join them together. 

Acetone will disolve the joint if needed soak a bit on a "Q-tip" and dab on the joint allow to sit and re-apply again.  Then gently flex the joint to see how much more will be needed if any. 

Hope this helps.  I use a needle tipped bottle that I got from Volare a few years back.

IP Logged

Reply #434 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:39am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Tom - the next question is about "Duco" glue cement - what is it good to use on, and what is the solvent if you have to take something apart?
LMW

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #433 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 5:34pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I'm using the rubbing alcohol from the Dollar Store.  Works well and is cheap.  I use Duco and super glue mostly.  But what little white glue I use hasn't been effected as long as I wipe the alcohol off the structure as soon as the tissue has been removed.  The tissue tends to hold most of the moisture.  I've not had any joints come loose.  I did break a couple of stringers but a little duco and waiting a couple minutes fixed that ok.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #432 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 2:55pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - I have a dumb question for you.  When you wet down the tissue, to remove it, are you using "pure" isopropyl alcohol, or "Rubbing alcohol" which is 70 % isopropyl alcohol and 30 % water mixture (by volume) ?  Also, if you are using the 70 % isopropyl alcohol with 30 % water, mixture, does that mixture, because it has water in it, does it dissolve the "white glue" at all in the joints of the balsa, or does it NOT affect the white glue in balsa joints at all ?  I know I will have to strip tissue off one day, and I always use "White Glue",  whose solvent is pure water ...
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #431 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 6:53am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

TREMENDOUS PERSEVERENCE TOM !!!!   It radiates,   Cheesy  with that red color scheme !!   Smiley 
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #430 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 5:49pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well,  after 5 that's right five tries...wet down with isopropyl alcohol, let soak, then peal it off the framework...Yes there was re-wetting and once the tissue was removed, let dry overnight.    Then sand the fuselage with 320 grit and then 400 to smooth out all the framework. I must admit that after that many applications all the glue doesn't come off.  So re-application of the glue stick and then the tissue wet with isopropyl alcohol.  I stretched it out as much as I could and let it dry.  WaaLaaa!  I finally got the tissue to stick without wrinkles!  Set out to dry overnight and finally to paint.  I decided to use a Krylon red rattle can to paint the red.  Two very light coats on the floats, wing and stabs.  Three coats on the fuselage.  Even with that many coats it's still a bit translucent and the bright sun still shows the frame work.  But the sun was so bright that it doesn't look that way looking down on the plane.  I made a dowel with a bit of brass tubing on the end across the diameter of the dowel.  With this I slipped it inside the fuselage and used another telescoping aluminum tube through the motor lock holes in the fuselage sides to hold the fuselage so I could turn it for painting all sides.  Worked really well.   
I've never had so much trouble applying tissue.  But finally it's done and now to move on to the cooling panels using some brass colored paint.

Tom

right_side.jpg (169 KB | 9 )
right_side.jpg
left_side.jpg (152 KB | 10 )
left_side.jpg
upper_rear_view.jpg (204 KB | 9 )
upper_rear_view.jpg
paint_nose.jpg (159 KB | 11 )
paint_nose.jpg
bottom_paint.jpg (180 KB | 6 )
bottom_paint.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #429 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 7:23pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Lastwoodsman

Love what you did with your Zero. Love the way the formers show on the fuselage and the center float. It adds structure/depth to the piece. Also love the brass details. You've taken a common Guillows kit, and turned it into a piece of art. You've given me a whole new way of looking at kits. Thanks. Somehow I think there is room for small brass head nails somewhere in this idea. Or, I wonder if brass paint could be added to a thick glue, and just dabbed on, (like rivets)? I wonder if also a copper could be used, for another look? Yes, please do build your model this way. I will be looking forward to it.

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #428 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 5:46pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Finally found a couple of pictures of the illusive Jacques P. Schneider.  Lastwoodsman asked about pictures of Jacques and I could't resist taking a look to see if I could find one.  Found three... two of him congratulating a winner of one of the races and one on the Schneider trophy Races site: Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print