Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Schneider Trophy Cook up? (Read 39354 times)
Reply #472 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 2:21pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Craig - I know what that feels like ...  Sad Cry Embarrassed Angry
Good luck with the repair - sounds like you have a good repair plan.
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #471 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 4:32pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

There was stuff falling off that shelf that had't moved since the Reagan administration! Actually, I think I can just build and graft on a new rear fuse from a new 1/32" thick #4 former about the easiest. I got lucky on the infilled part!

IP Logged

Reply #470 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 3:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bummer... Cry Tongue maybe with a jig you could repair this damage!  Good luck in fixing this.  If worse comes to worse you could make a whole new fuselage!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #469 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 2:27pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Well, poop. Can I say that here?

IMG_6617.JPG (137 KB | 6 )
IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6618.JPG (120 KB | 6 )
IMG_6618.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #468 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:56pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

LWM, when my mom was born, the Supermarine S6B was the fastest thing (short of a bullet) on Earth- and it looked the part!

IP Logged

Reply #467 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:32pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hello Craig :
     You know, there seems to be an elegant grandeur in the proportional framework symmetry in those early seaplanes.   Cool    With those two whopping floats, as big as the fuselage, they just look so powerful in their bare assembled skeletons!   Shocked   Great pics Craig!   Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #466 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:16pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thank you! The way it's rained here this summer, I might need to study waterproofing the floats!

IP Logged

Reply #465 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 7:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...great looking bones.  You'll have a real flyer on your hands there.  Nice job! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #464 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 6:15pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

It's finally starting to look like an aeroplane. Time to clean up the leftover kindling and make some more Berliner-Joyce wings while I figure out what sequence I'm going to use to cover/assemble this one... As it sits there, it's a portly 57.3 grams

IMG_6498.JPG (157 KB | 8 )
IMG_6498.JPG
IMG_6500.JPG (194 KB | 7 )
IMG_6500.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG (184 KB | 4 )
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6499.JPG (160 KB | 8 )
IMG_6499.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #463 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:34am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Tom- That's good to know! I'm thinking maybe locking the ailerons into place, rather than hinging them. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Reply #462 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:56am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

It should fly fine with the airfoil you have on the plans.  One of the reasons you see lots of flatbottomed plans here in the U.S. I believe, is because of the rules in FAC (Flying Aces Club) that require a flat bottomed airfoil.  That's just my opinion.  Symmetrical or semi-symmetrical airfoil will fly in Free Flight it just might not be as efficient.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #461 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:07am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

The thing is, while it's challenging, accurate, and pleasing to the eye (things I like), it's not a very good airfoil for free flight at this scale. I think I'll peg the wings on somehow, and build another set with a flat bottom, maybe a bit... Nah, who am I kidding. Cleveland said it would fly, and even ROW. If it won't, that'll be okay.

IP Logged

Reply #460 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:42pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

That wing DOES have a nice elliptical airfoil and nice internal support brackets.  I'm sure you won't blow the covering ... it will be as pretty as a spotted horse in a daisy pasture.   Wink
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #459 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I'm adhering rigidly to the plan- there are LOTS of places to change things around to make a better flier out of it, but if I don't blow the covering, it sure should be pretty. These wing panels are pretty chunky. 40 sq in, 7.68g.

IMG_6491.JPG (126 KB | 8 )
IMG_6491.JPG
IMG_6492.JPG (90 KB | 7 )
IMG_6492.JPG
IMG_6493.JPG (151 KB | 6 )
IMG_6493.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #458 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 12:59pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks for the link to those trimming steps- Lord knows I need it! Now if I could just get my guy to quit mowing the yard everytime it stops raining (once every three weeks or so)!

I understand the importance of dihedral & proper incidence. On the latter, this S6B is in good shape- but as I said, I have my doubts as to how good a flier it would be under the best of circumstances (heavy, small wing, no Clark "Y", etc.) so I'm leaning towards at least getting the look as right as I can instead of building a model that's not too good in either department. I'll have the plans- later I may build a new set of "flying" appendages for it.
The front float struts are attached to a fuselage former, but the rears attach to the rear wing spar at compound angles- Moving everything around and keeping the geometry right is a project I don't thing I'm going to tackle for a model that might cough up a 30 second flight.
Just the fuselage, prop, and floats -bare- go nearly 38g. It only has 80 sq in of wing. Cleveland recommended 8-12 strands of 1/8" rubber. Fly? I'm not even sure it will float! (and this will be the one that surprises me  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2017 at 2:40pm by Craig 3 »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 32
Send Topic Print