Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vacuum or plunge formed parts (Read 1150 times)
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 5:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I stand corrected...I edited my last post and it is "Dave" not "Tom" to used to typing my own name Embarrassed Undecided Roll Eyes Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 5:18pm

GeoffinIN   Offline

"Tom Mitchell?"  I thought it was Dave Mitchell.

I've got a printed copy of the FAC rules, but thanks anyhow! Smiley
It's a lot easier sitting in an easy chair and reading all that "Section A subsection V.2... stuff!

I started cutting wood on this thing and found a lot that doesn't match up.  Lots of plan distortion.  Gonna be a LOT of trial and error - especially error - on this build!  Sure wish I had the smarts to run the plan through a CAD program and redraw!  BTW, has anyone else done a D/F version of the Skyleada plan?

Not too smart Geoff

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 4:52pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Just had a thought about the detail of the rules.  I would suggest contacting Dave (not Tom) Mitchell, the keeper of the rules just to be sure.  Here's a link to FAC Rules, click on the blue line that will give you email contact to Dave for any questions just like this!  Click Here for FAC Rules
Tom/Sky9pilot

edit: oops it is Dave Mitchell
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2016 at 5:50pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 7:52am

GeoffinIN   Offline

Thanks for the reply Tom.  The first three you mention are straight-through designs, with no bifurcated ducts needed.  The KK Hunter is larger than what I'm planning to build, using a 32mm fan with no inlet ducts - just empty space ahead of the bell-mouth fan inlet.  I doubt that the little fan will be efficient enough for that setup.

Since the General Rules say that accessories such as air scoops and cowls can be plastic,  I'll just hope a molded duct will be considered an"accessory air scoop."

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 6:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

With the introduction of the EDF to the stick and tissue models for FAC I don't think you have any restriction to using vacuum formed ducting for your model.   This is what has been done by some of the fellows who compete over on HPA.  Copbait73, Tom Arnold, and some of the others have used bond paper and alphatic glue to mold to form some of those critical parts.

Look at the Ducted Fan board on HPA F-84 Build

F-86D Sabre Build
Click on the two above to see their construction threads as well as others there.

FJ-4 Fury Build post #25
John Bell offered to vacuum form one for me if I made the form.  I was able to do a bond paper tube instead.

Also check out this Hunter build as well: Aerographics Hunter Build
Tom

IP Logged

Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:23pm

GeoffinIN   Offline

Although I've looked high and low through the FAC power scale rules I can NOT find where it states what parts can be vacuum or plunge formed from plastic sheets and what can't.

I'd like to build a Hawker Hunter for one of the DK 26mm fans, but the intake configuration doesn't lend itself easily to wood construction.  I suspect that with so little thrust I'll need really good ductwork to get every gram of thrust, hence a molded duct.  Is it legal?

Geoff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print