HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Heywooood's Hanger (Read 776 times)
Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2017 at 11:17pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

thank you sir - she turned out better than I thought I guess - I'm just sitting here thinking how these Golden Age racers look like pieces of bright colored candy in a way.
It's the look I was going for on both of them - and when I get around to Hall's Springfield Bulldog I will have that thought in my mind as I work on it too.

These airplanes are special among all of our flying machines I think because they were the ones that took us from crawling to running. They came in that era of  "hell with it - let's just GO" and it really shows in their shape, their brute power, their colors. These planes are magnificent as were the people making them and flying them (or just holding on as they screamed and bucked around the pylons) so to me anyway they are the first machines that flew - rather than floated on the verge of a stall. The ones that proved aviation was a viable mode of transportation as in the Bendix trials or could help defend a Nation if needs be - as the nimble and fast pylon racers proved in the Thompson and Schneider cup trials.

Amazing Planes of Fame

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2017 at 2:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

She's a beauty!  Well done! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:07am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

last one

J6tF5oh_001.jpg (72 KB | 2 )
J6tF5oh_001.jpg

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #19 - May 22nd, 2017 at 12:05am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Laird Super Solution completed

2Ty387m_001.jpg (68 KB | 1 )
2Ty387m_001.jpg
tCVRiSW.jpg (70 KB | 1 )
tCVRiSW.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2017 at 6:14pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

couple more of the finished Z

p3l7BzC.jpg (73 KB | 3 )
p3l7BzC.jpg
pxVcnwI.jpg (69 KB | 3 )
pxVcnwI.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #17 - May 6th, 2017 at 10:13pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

well thank you, Tom  - but to be fair it really is a great kit. I just glued it and my fingers together..

IP Logged

Reply #16 - May 6th, 2017 at 9:58pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

HW...you've out done yourself !  She's an absolute beauty!  Well Done Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #15 - May 6th, 2017 at 9:15pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I should also remark that the kit included a painting guide and templates for cutting out the unique scheme from the provided colored tissue - these template drawings were easy to convert to masking tape patterns and finish the model pretty much exactly to the prototype #4 Racer.

I don't know if I would have attempted this paint scheme without them - it certainly would have been far more difficult to pull off, no question

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:44pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

the engine, a Wasp Jr by the Williams Brothers had to be shaved a bit - the completed motor has a dia. of almost 4-1/4" but the Dumas kit cowling was 4" dia. exactly. I had to shave 1/8" off each cylinder and valve rod but it looks pretty goods in there I think..
The pilot is also a Williams Brothers component. The Vintage sport pilot in 1/12" scale

I hope the brothers would be pleased. Granville and Williams

The aircraft model was built for display using the balsa infill method - I can post some build progress photo's in the appropriate area if anyone wants to see them.

This is a terrific kit either for static display or powered flight and all of the kit components, drawings, laser cut balsa and instructions are outstanding. I liked it so much I bought and am currently working on their Laird Super Solution

IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:36pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

two more..

GGj3SG2.jpg (71 KB | 3 )
GGj3SG2.jpg
mS6h96y.jpg (95 KB | 3 )
mS6h96y.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:35pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

most recent model completed is the Dumas Kit # 406 GeeBee Z

here are a couple of pics...maybe

6ROmvnk.jpg (64 KB | 3 )
6ROmvnk.jpg
A5nMIFC.jpg (61 KB | 3 )
A5nMIFC.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 7:58pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

The biplane came from my neighbor. It was a kit that had been started and abandoned decades ago.
The cowling was split, it was missing a sheet of diecut fuselage formers and wing ribs.
Fortunately the drawings were unharmed. I scratched up a motor and jigsawed the decals together (they fractured when they hit
the water) with some effort and much swearing.
I had been looking for this kit for a while and one day he stops me on my way to the store and says "hey you wouldnt be
interested in this old model kit, I'm just going to throw it out"..lol
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2017 at 10:45pm by heywooood »  

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 12:17pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Nice looking Great Lakes and love the jets.

GO NAVY!

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 11:40am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Sterling Great Lakes Hal Krier

Today's Hobbies F/A18a and F-16

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2017 at 10:26pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

yes thank you Tom...I have the process down now I think.
In Progress above, finished up and completed go in the Hangar

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print