HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Little Wildcat (Read 3465 times)
Reply #36 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 10:35am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Sounds like a good deal, Bob.  That engine was a bit pricey back then, or at least I thought so.  I have no idea where anyone would purchase glo-fuel (nitro) today...unless it would be over the internet...sure someone out there is still flying with it.  What I remember was all the "finish" issues it presented! Undecided  Today's electrics have done away with all of that...except for those 1/4 scale guys using gasoline. Smiley

Honestly, rubber power is a real relief by comparison.  Funny, I was watching a video on YouTube the other night...some guy was flying his various stickntissue at a regular club rc flying field...I could hear all the reciprocating motors in the background...stops and starts...meanwhile the SnT guy was getting spectacular flights, one after another, from his models.  I thought that if I'd have been one of those rc'ers, I'd have moved down the line to watch the SnT's marvelous accomplishments! Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:23pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, she looks like a
WILDCAT
cant wait to see your inflight photos.

I was just on Ebay and the .61 was going for 44.95 in its beginning of the bids.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:55am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Lol...I remember those days! I didn't fly many 61 powered birds I usualy kept to 35 & 40 size.  Great picture showing the huge differences.  I love the picture! Smiley
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:39am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Last photo...just a bit of perspective...beside a K&B .61RC from yesteryear....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 11:17am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Great looking model.  Nice canopy!  I'm always on the lookout for shrink wrap packages that might be a future canopy!!! Never know where a modeling product will appear!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 11:27pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thank you, Ian.  I forgot to add that the Wildcat canopy...to my eye, looks a lot like it belongs on a Hellcat.  I wonder if that means I should build a peanut Hellcat?  Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 11:10pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Sehr gut! Very nice  Smiley.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 10:15pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Canopy made from pumpkin cookie container...delicious...then to grandson's (is 6'4" and 16 years old) high school basketball game (he had 12 points and 9 rebounds...then to dinner...and home to attach the converted pumpkin cookie container and apply tissue framework.  Done...complete...das Ende!  Time to clean up the mess I've made.  Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 12:20pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Plunge-molding has never being a process that I've enjoyed...although I've never NOT had success with it.  It's just so involved...at least that's the way it seems to me.  Personally, I like to just lazily sit at my work bench and putter around while building. Grin

Generally I start by going through the bag of bucks (male molds) that I've already created for some build in the past...looking for something similar in shape...preferably a bit larger...and then proceed to sand it into the proper shape.  When all else fails...I look for a block large enough...and create a new buck.

It's funny, because now I'm creating small canopies....  My initial project with this process was fairly large...the center fuselage of an Fw-189.  Many years ago, sometime last century...around 1971, I created a control line 189...my own plan.  The layout was so straight-forward...easy.  Then came that center fuselage with all it's glazing! Lips Sealed  I ended up carving a buck of the entire fuselage out of pine (cheaper than balsa)...and plunge-molding the entire shape in two halves.  Using the pine buck, I then designed and constructed a balsa inner structure...joining the molding over that...and painting.  Worked great! Smiley  And now I'm loath to follow the process on something as tiny as a peanut model. Grin Grin Grin Shocked

We'll get there...was telling my wife that this little Wildcat has a pre-war color scheme...by just a few months...and that I don't want to do the canopy.  Her response was, "Well, let's say it's a pre-plastic airplane and leave the canopy off."  Like her logic.  Wink

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:47pm by Kerak »  

fw189-1.jpg (134 KB | 18 )
fw189-1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

I'm too cheap to buy them (tissuecals)...always trying to build "on the cheap."  Printed them on this inexpensive white tissue the wife uses for gift box wrapping...has one side that is hard gloss...that's the side I print on.  It's always an adventure to create your own...find something with acceptable resolution on the internet.  It works....  Sure adds a lot to the model.

Now I'm at the stage of canopy creation...will plunge-mold a canopy.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 8:35pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Tissue-cals look great...did you print them yourself or purchase them from somewhere? 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Things are slowly coming together...decided to NOT airbrush the blue/grey onto the upper surfaces...went with a summer 1941 scheme...seems the Navy noticed what was happening in the world and dispensed with those colorful schemes of the 30's...went for overall light grey.  In the interest of weight savings...so did I. Smiley  Markings are tissuecals.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:35pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Here you are, Bob...is in three parts...first two are pre-flight.

Tom...model's dihedral is above bottom of cockpit...of course that may be because I mounted the wings a tiny bit higher.  Smiley

Neal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrC3puZ8cwY

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:20pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, what is the link for "Kermie" walk around?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 5:38pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
This a great looking little Wildcat!  The scale dihedral may be just enough to get away with some good flights.  The old ROT (Rule of Thumb) is wingtips at or just below the bottom of the canopy edge. 

Your scale dihedral looks to be above the thrust line so you should be ok.
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print