Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C. (Read 3599 times)
Reply #35 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 5:27pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The meetings and contest of the O.F.F.C. will be on Friday mornings until further notice.  The Stonehurst Rec Center Gym will be closed the day after Thanksgiving, November 24, so the next meeting and the Bostonian contest will be on Friday, December 1.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 3:07pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

There was a disagreement with a member of the rec center staff and it looks like we will be meeting on Friday mornings for the next few weeks.  My apologies to anyone who wanted to visit our meeting this morning or made plans to visit us in the next few weeks.  I will keep you posted on any shifts in meeting day.

Howard

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 10:50am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding Howard....well done!  Congrats to all the participants! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:27pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Today was the O.F.F.C. One Design Contest.  Of the dozen Plain Plane kits I distributed to the members, 8 showed up for the contest.  The model soon proved to be rugged enough for that obstacle filled room.  On many flights they bounced of the lights and basketball backstops, if high enough recovered and continued flying, and only one was damaged.  Everyone covered with tissue, except Don Butman who is the master of plastic film, and most used the kit supplied blue and white tissue.  Everyone had a good time and we had some spectators that came to see the contest who seemed to enjoy themselves watching.

Here is a YouTube video of some of the contest flights. 

https://youtu.be/VLGIjD5NNh0

The results:  (Best 2 of 5 flight plus a 10 second bonus for R.O.G.

1st    Bill Watson                 116.04
2nd   Stan Christopher         105.97
3rd    Bud Matthews              88.33
4th   John Bunton                  72.75
5th   Don Butman                  71.71
6th   Barry Daugherty            71.37
7th   Dave Gee                     37.22
8th   Kurt Young                   Model Damaged

Don Smith was the timer.
Howard Littman (Me) Contest Director and Designer of the model.

Because I was the designer of the model the participants insisted that I get into the group shot.

Next Month...Bostonians!

Keep 'Em Flying!
Howard

photo_28__001.JPG (129 KB | 1 )
photo_28__001.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 6:00pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

The O.F.F.C. Embryo contest went off smoothly.  From all I have been told, everyone had fun with this contest.  The only detraction was the lights hanging down from the gym ceiling.  The last time this contest was held the gym was lighted by flush mounted florescent lights.  The models could skim the ceiling and contact did not diminish the flight times.  It was not uncommon to get two minute flights in that room.  Now, with the hanging halogen lights, if you get up among the lights you are gambling.  Even the winner, Joe Whiting, of whom it must be said, Embryo is his event, could not get a flight of better than 77 seconds this time.

The rules were:

Model must R.O.G.
Six flights allowed.
Ten second minimum for an official flight.
Score is total of best three flights.

The results:

1.     Joe Whiting                    220.6 seconds
2.     Pete Basone                 155.0
3.     Bill Watson                    154.2
4.     Don Butman                   152.9
5.     Dave Gee                      134.9
6.     Don Martin                      87.7
7.     Don Smith                       82.5
8.     Stan Christopher              81.1
9.     Wynn Hammer                 81.0

There were 9 contestants with 11 models flown.  Scores only counted for best flying models.

The group shot show how happy everyone was with the contest.  Some of the individual shots in the heat of the contest...not so much.

Dave Gee, whose flexibility with the rules of any class can rival the Michlean Man, was setting up his unorthodox entry.  We had our doubts, but it turns out that bizarre configuration is legal.

The next picture is Bill Watson preparing to launch.

The last pictures are Pete Basone and Wynn Hammer just after launch, and Don Butman retrieving his model.

DSCN1452.JPG (384 KB | 1 )
DSCN1452.JPG
DSCN1450.JPG (356 KB | 2 )
DSCN1450.JPG
DSCN1441.JPG (321 KB | 1 )
DSCN1441.JPG
DSCN1438.JPG (323 KB | 1 )
DSCN1438.JPG
DSCN1432.JPG (261 KB | 1 )
DSCN1432.JPG
DSCN1417.JPG (282 KB | 1 )
DSCN1417.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 3:43pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Ditto what LWM said.  Wishing you no pain through your physical therapy.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 9:47am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Howard - wishing you a speedy recovery from your hip replacement surgery.   Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:17pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Once again I did not attend the O.F.F.C. monthly contest.  This time it was because I am recovering from my birthday present last Friday, a new right hip.  I have been assured that I will be receiving photos and video to post along with the results.  I will post as soon as I get them.

Howard

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 10:14am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

pb_guy wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:10am:
Nice looking group of planes for a short build. Perhaps the OFFC should have a Grandkids flyoff. The OFF's can do the building, but the grandkids would have to do the flying. (It would be permissible to hire/borrow a grandchild if you didn't have one on hand).  Grin
ian

That, I would like to see Grin

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:10am

pb_guy   Online
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Nice looking group of planes for a short build. Perhaps the OFFC should have a Grandkids flyoff. The OFF's can do the building, but the grandkids would have to do the flying. (It would be permissible to hire/borrow a grandchild if you didn't have one on hand).  Grin
ian

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:19am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Howard for the report and looks like inspite of the "center pylon" they had a good time and looks like some great models in attendance.

Congratulations to the winner and those who placed.  I'm sure they all had a good time!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 11:20pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I did not attend the contest so I'm copying Dave Gee's report of the contest from the Black Sheep Squadron newsletter.

Fliers were Don Martin, Don Smith, John Buntin, Joe Whiting, Don Butman, Dave Gee, and Bill Watson. 11 entries made for a wide and varied field.
The planes included 2 Fikes, 2 Piper Cubs, a Farman Moustique, Yak 5, SE5a, Pietenpol, 1910 Faris monoplane, Rearwin Speedster, and a Heath Racer. Some were old models, well-trimmed. Others were brand new and untested until the very day.

This year's rules favored flying over scale, with Mooney judging adding only a few bonus points based on how well each plane did in comparison to the others. The 10 second ROG bonus per flight was used by surprisingly few contestants.

Peanut is a challenging category, especially in the small OFFC gym. Things were complicated by a minor fuss with the leader of the preschool kids, who refused to compromise on floor space. Having a table of little kids in the middle of the room is a factor that the Reno Air Races never faced. We flew over their heads and into the table-legs, and forged ahead.

Bill Watson finished in first place with an immaculate Fike, steadily flown. Dave managed second with his long-nosed 1910 Faris eindekker. Don Butman again showed that he makes 'em fly as well as they look, with a third place Rearwin. Joe Whiting had disagreements with his SE5a, and had to settle for 4th place.

Thanks to Stan for timing, Pete for keeping such careful records of the contest, and Will for these pictures.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 3:44pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I apologize for not reporting promptly on the Peanut Scale contest.  I did not attend because of some personal business but will report as soon as I get the results.

Howard

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 6:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

KF...thanks for the report and the pic.  Looks like everyone had fun.  Too bad I don't live closer, it'd be fun to join in with y'all.

Keep the reports coming! 
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 2:39pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

Last Wednesday, July 26th, was the Penny Plane contest. 

I'll have to admit that Penny Plane is not my thing, I don't build that light.  Also, the contest can be a bit tedious since the flights and the prep between them can take some time.   Once again, it proved that these extremely light models are difficult to store for any length of time.  Several models could not complete the full number of attempted flights due to accumulated damage. 

Bill Watson built a new one for the contest and walked away with it.  He said that he was going to get four minute flights in that room and he did.  Also, there was a first, for me anyway, in this kind of flying...an in flight structural failure that actually destroyed the model! Shocked  Don Butman was not intending his fourth flight to be the last one of the day but a few seconds into the flight the motor stick simply disintegrated under the tension of the rubber (.075!) and the rest of the model simply fell to the floor in a heap.  For a contest where the flights are usually as exciting as watching paint dry that was positively horrifying!

The contest was done on a total of the best two flights of five attempts with a minimum of 20 seconds to be an official flight.  (Yes, if trimmed wrong a Penny Plane can fly for less than 20 seconds!) and all contestants models were weighed for a 3 gram minimum. 

The results were:

1.     Bill Watson              3.2 g           474.6 seconds
2.     Bud Matthews          5.13            290.36
3.     Don Butman             6.8             240                     3 flights
4.     Don Martin               6.9             226                     3 flights
5.     Stan Christopher       6.6             169                     2 flights
6.     Lowell Norenberg       4.5              97.36                 2 flights

Pete Bassone's model was damaged during pre-contest trimming and was not flown in competition.

Still, despite the frustrations it was an interesting contest and the members had fun (See smiles in group shot.).

We did have a visitor to the contest who will likely be joining the group.  The invitation still stands to anyone who is in the area on Wednesday mornings to come to our meeting and flying session.  Meetings start at 9:00 AM and flying from 10 to Noon at the Stonehurst Recreation Center gym, 9901 Dronfield Avenue, Sun Valley, California.

Next contest is August 30.  The subject is Peanut Scale.  Scale judging is modified Mooney judging not full on FAC rules.

photo_78__001.JPG (128 KB | 14 )
photo_78__001.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print