Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PNut Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat (Read 2407 times)
Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 3:47pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
Very inspiring build.  Love the way this one turned out!  Gotta push the Hellcat up on the list!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 2:50pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

This is the finale....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 12:54pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

LG doors etc. are cardstock....  Timeout for now while I make some workspace for the final phase(s) of this build.  I originally thought that the plug for my recent PNut Wildcat would be a fairly close match for this Hellcat...nope.  A 13" Wildcat doesn't approximate a 13" Hellcat...the F6F was noticeably larger than it's little-big brother.  That's ok...just need to reduce the Wildcat plug a bit to make it fit.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 5:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Neal,
That's been my experience as well.  One that I knew set up a Dependant's Day Cruise for a friend and I.  Then two days before the cruise he had to punch out of an RF-8 Crusader.  Worst ride he ever had, he said!

We went on the cruise, but it wasn't the same!  Still it was a great experience, even though we couldn't get out of the fog west of San Francisco.  So the airshow was minimal.  I must give the A-7 and A-6 pilots that did try several landings in the stuff Superman Courage!

As far as the drop tanks go...my understanding is they switched to the drop tanks right after safely launching and drained them first before switching to internal tanks.  But I guess fuel fumes are still pretty flamable! Shocked Wink Cool
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 4:30pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks Tom...looks like it was jettisonable...but still seems pretty solid to me...a pylon in the rear and two straps forward...plus a fuel line.  Obviously additional fuel was often times mission critical...but still pretty hazardous to bring it home again.  I guess it also says something about the confidence to engage an enemy ac with an external "torch" attached to your belly.  Roll Eyes  Drop-tanks were practically a throw-away item everywhere else...except on a carrier where storage space was tight.  Also gives one a sense of the courage of those Naval flyboys.  I've known three carrier pilots in my life(jets)...and I can confidently say that none of them took carrier landing lightly...even under the best of circumstances.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 4:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Here's an interesting link re: extra dropable fuel tanks: Click Here  Apparently up to three could be carried.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 10:54am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Tissue was applied with glustick...and lots of small panels...in the easy areas.  Whenever things got a bit tricky, I switched to using a small brush with diluted glue solution.  Whenever I get "greedy" and try to cover too large an area...that's when I get into trouble with wrinkles.  Sooooo...patience...I have to continually remind myself.  Wink

I've been looking at lots of Hellcat photos during this build...and I'm a bit curious concerning what was called a drop-tank on the F6F....  Doesn't seem to be a drop-tank in the sense of what was used on Thunderbolts and Mustangs...looks permanently attached, even to the point that 'Cats were returning to their carriers with those tanks still onboard...containing fuel.  As can be imagined, there were lots of incidents involving landing fires, basically caused by deck cables rupturing those "drop-tanks," as if carrier landings weren't already risky enough! Lips Sealed  Just wondering about all of that...if they were droppable...what, the Navy didn't have enough so they told pilots to "bring 'em back?"  I also see photos of planes returning with ordinance onboard (rockets)...curious OP.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 11:14pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

She is looking good Neal, how did you attach your tissue?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well the power plant is getting closer!!! Cheesy Grin Wink
The Hellcat is looking good.  I think you're gonna really like this one!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 2:52pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Installed an lg as well as broke up that skyblue strip down the fuselage side.

Airplane seems to be shaping up.

Spent 3 weeks down in Arizona...temps were above 90F for 9 days in succession!  Had occasion to see a beautiful Grumman Guardian.  I've been eyeballing it now for several years...stored outside where it looked to be in very sad shape (Falcon Field...CFA).  It's moved into the hangar now and is absolutely beautiful...but still non-flying however.  Will get there soon.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 4:08pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Kerak wrote on Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:36pm:
Ok...I've downsized the engine to a McCoy .19...my first "big engine" when I was a kid.  Still too big?  Grin

Currently debating whether to install an lg on this model...which will all but remove any real possibility of it flying...very far.  But...so what.

Oh...and I hate that sky blue tissue...whole thing looks like "Bulgy-the-Whale" at SeaWorld.  Grin Grin Grin  Oh well, it is what it is....a tiny Hellcat.

Neal

Yep...I think you've still got too much power there!!!! Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin Wink

I'm with Staubkorb... make the gear removable for flight!

I totally understand the feeling of the skyblue tissue.  I always look for some other scheme when looking at the F6F to see what else could be used.  But the wings will help in toning the looks of the skyblue down.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:55pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Make the LG removable!  Kitties retract their claws after TO. Grin

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 2:36pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ok...I've downsized the engine to a McCoy .19...my first "big engine" when I was a kid.  Still too big?  Grin

Currently debating whether to install an lg on this model...which will all but remove any real possibility of it flying...very far.  But...so what.

Oh...and I hate that sky blue tissue...whole thing looks like "Bulgy-the-Whale" at SeaWorld.  Grin Grin Grin  Oh well, it is what it is....a tiny Hellcat.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2017 at 9:57am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

With the muffler on the engine, it might make it a little nose heavy.  Cheesy
ian

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2017 at 2:03pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Wings look great!  But I think your a bit over powered!!! Roll Eyes Cheesy Wink Cool
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print