Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Future for finishing? (Read 448 times)
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:14am

NcGunny   Offline
GO PANTHERS!
NY

ggranch wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:44pm:
Thanks for the input. I sometimes wonder who thinks of trying some of this stuff.  Would this weigh more or less than dope?

It was first used years ago for making a wash for miniatures. When acrylic paint is thinned to much with water it becomes
Bound up with surface tension and wont flow properly. The main ingrediant in Future is a acrylic polymer that is the same thing
found in paints. I cant remember the guys name now, but he used it and posted articles on a defunct mini forum. Guys found
out it worked great as a clear coat and as a thinner also in craft paints. It is sometimes a hard product to find for people, hit up your
Dollar General and buy the L.A. brand and save 5.00.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 3:27pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I use 2 coats, and perhaps 3 if I feel like it. I used it on the Piaggio PC-7 model. You can use it straight on balsa to seal the grain, but it takes about 5 coats. It seems to weigh less than dope although I haven't done a weight comparison. It is not water-proof, but it is water resistant. It is definitely NOT fuel proof.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 2:54pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I would think it all boils down to thinning and coats applied.  But probably pretty comparable, weight wise.  I doubt that it will be as moisture resistant as dope.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:44pm

ggranch   Offline

Takeoffs are optional,
landings are mandatory!
Kingsville, Mo/Del Rio, Tx

Thanks for the input. I sometimes wonder who thinks of trying some of this stuff.  Would this weigh more or less than dope?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:27pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

They're basically a Clear Acrylic finish.  So that's what the finish will look like.  As has been mentioned already.  Better to add the alcohol rather than water because there's already enough water in the floor finishes.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:23pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

There is already too much water in Future, cut it with Isopropanol 30:70 or 40:60 Future:alcohol.
But a better product for this is Armstrong ShineKeeper used at the same rates. It is not as good as dope, but it is inexpensive.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:43pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

ggranch, yes Future or Pledge floor wax cut 50/50 with water can be used instead of dope or airbrushed straight from the bottle as a top coat.

Humidity does effect the tissue more so than with dope.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:26pm

ggranch   Offline

Takeoffs are optional,
landings are mandatory!
Kingsville, Mo/Del Rio, Tx

I have been doing some browsing around the forum and saw a wing that the builder said was coated/treated with Future.  Is he meaning floor polish or something else? What is the procedure for application? Why is it even used?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print