Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
C/L Ugly Stik (Read 357 times)
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2017 at 9:05pm

jwwasham   Offline
Go Lemmings, Go!
Oklahoma, USA

Thanks Bob.

It was a beautiful day, and we did have a ton of fun.  This last weekend, on the other hand, was a complete washout.  Like you, I'm hoping for better weather.  And No MORE STORMS!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your c/l models. Smiley

John

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.
"Simplify, then add lightness"  Colin Chapman
A closed mind is just a useless weight on the shoulders.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:59pm

jwwasham   Offline
Go Lemmings, Go!
Oklahoma, USA

Hi Dave

My wife is the photographer, as I'm no good at it, so I can't promise more pics.  But I'll try. Smiley

The plane was built from Das Liddle Stik plans, and I didn't change anything that I didn't have to, to convert it to control line. It has a built up box fuselage.  The wing is fixed and no longer comes off.  The airfoil was changed to a fully symmetrical one, simply by copying the upper half on the lower.  The engine and tank were raised as high as I could to put their mass nearer to the wing.  The bellcrank was installed in line with the center of the engine, as I didn't want a heavy weight below the centrifugal center of gravity.  That's about 3/4 of an inch below the wing bottom.  The plane balances at a little less than 25% of the wing's chord.  I wanted to start out a bit conservative.  I can always move the c/g back a little at a time, to improve handling.  The bellcrank is mounted so that the front line is at the 25% mark, and the leadout guide is on the level of the bellcrank, and the front line is swept back 1/2 inch.  The rear line is parallel with the leading edge.  The wing has full flaps like other c/l stunters.  The only other mods are a fixed rudder with 3/8s inch offset to the outside, and I increased the elevator chord 1 inch. 

I tend to over build a bit, in the interest of strength, so it's a little porky at 52oz.  But it flys great so far, and the Evolution 36 pulls it around the circle quite well.  More testing to come. 

Thanks for your interest.

John

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:43pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

John, beautiful airplane, beautiful day. I bet you had a blast, thanks for the photos they give me hope for better weather to come.

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2017 at 6:42am

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

John
Very intesting. I love when different things are done. From the best I can tell from the pictures, it looks like it is a built up fuselage, not a profile. How did you determine the fore and aft location of the bellcrank? And how did you locate the height of the bellcrank, in the fuselage. Is the bellcrank located in mid fuselage height? Did you put leadout guides that extend down from the wing? How do you determine leadout locations at the wingtip? Does the wing still come off? Would love to see some up close pictures. Good job. Keep shaking up the normal. Love to go to the field, and see something different. NORMAL, don't need no stinkin NORMAL.
Dave

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 9:58pm

jwwasham   Offline
Go Lemmings, Go!
Oklahoma, USA

Thanks, Tom.

There are several r/c Stiks in our club, but mine is the first c/l version.  It's always fun to shake up the "normal" once in a while. Cheesy

John

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 5:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

jwwasham... great pictures, thanks for sharing them.  We had a bunch of Das Ugly Sticks in the rc club I was a member of many years ago.  I remember some guys like myself learning how to control those thumb sticks with just that model.  Lots of fun!!! Which it looks like you had as well.  Great stuff, many happy landings.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Apr 30th, 2017 at 12:02pm

jwwasham   Offline
Go Lemmings, Go!
Oklahoma, USA

Hi all.

I modified the plans, and built a Das Liddle Stik for control line.  It came out pretty nice and flew surprisingly well.

We had a very nice day last sunday, with almost no wind.  Was able to get in a couple of test flights.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print