Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Gee Bee R1 (Read 4235 times)
Reply #71 - Today at 8:07am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Richard - It does look a bit chunky but certainly is a challenge. I had a broken stringer on the underside and was able to reach in and add some backup to the very thin spots and finish sanding the rest of the contours. I made up the root section of the wings to install the wing attachment box. The wing tips will be solid balsa and the root parts will be covered with 1/16 balsa since the original had mahogany plywood covering it will make the wing solid as well. Lots of sanding to do yet and complete the wheel pants, add the wings and see if I can get this beauty on its feet. I'll post some pics soon.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #70 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:31pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Great pics Mike !  I can see a lot of work has gone into your Gee Bee. Smiley   Looks  like a chunky little muscle plane. Shocked
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #69 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 2:31pm

New Builder   Offline

Was working away on the Gee Bee this afternoon and stood the fuselage up on end to get it out of the way. I have some wonderful afternoon light from my window and spotted my impending disaster. Will need to add some backup lumber inside to keep everything intact. The culprit was a former midway aft the nose was slightly smaller than it should have been and caused a dip in the fuselage. When I tried to sand to sand everything level, well...

IP Logged

Reply #68 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 1:18pm

New Builder   Offline

Been sanding on this for an eternity (or so it seems anyway). Added so more tissue attach stringers and some stringers around the horizontal stabilizer to attach the fairings there and took it down from the fuselage assembly fixture. Still need to add the remaining stringers that the cross members blocked, finish the wings, wheel pants, make some wheels, fill more holes, get an engine, finish the cowl, put on some tissue, paint and done.

IP Logged

Reply #67 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Alfredo Arbe   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

great job! Smiley

Wonderful yet dangerous little airplanes!
Didnt know about the two seater version
It think resembles Roscoe Turner´s  " Miss Champion" for having enlarged fuselage (may be to house co pilot seat?)

IP Logged

Reply #66 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:38pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

This was a new one for me...there was a replica built also and here's a picture of it.
WikipediaGee Bee Super Q.E.D. II
A highly modified replica of the Gee Bee Q.E.D. was built by Jim Moss and assistants powered by a 1,425 hp (1,063 kW) Wright R-1820 Cyclone. The aircraft flew its first flight on 26 September 2013
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #65 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:37pm

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
Serabia crashed into the Potomac and was killed in this aeroplane

Heywooood - Thank you for filling in some of the blanks in my Gee Bee history. I ran across some pictures of the Conquistador in the museum in Mexico and have to say this was truly a beautiful airplane - all white, very nice indeed. May have to stretch out one of Gee Bee plans and have a go at this plane.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #64 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:39pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Serabia crashed into the Potomac and was killed in this aeroplane..A rag was sucked into the carb in flight - the plane was recovered, restored and shipped to Durango shortly afterward.

'Granny' Zane Granville was having trouble dealing with all of the fatal crashes in the planes that bore his family name...he was the driving force that made the GeeBee racers famous but the accidents and the loss of these pilots, who had become friends in this tightly knit little organization was troubling him.

He himself was killed not long afterward while landing - the field he was using had a two man crew working on filling in some uneven spots - he saw them too late and didn't have enough room / energy for a go around..he avoided the men but stalled into the tree line and perished.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #63 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:06am

New Builder   Offline

Did Anybodt know there was a two-place Gee Bee? It was a Gee Bee model R-6H and only named Q.E.D. It was built for Jackie Chochran for the MacPherson Robertson London-Melbourne race in 1934. It flew in the 1935 Bendix Race and the 1936 Thompson Trophy Race. The plane was sold to Francisco Serabia, the president of TASCA, the Mexican airline, renamed "Conquistador del Cielo" and registered as XB-AKM. It is now in Ciudad Lerdo, Durango, Mexico in a museum built to house it.

It had a span of 34' 3", length of 27' 2", and a height of 9' 6". It carried 400 gal of fuel, 28 gal of oil and had a gross weight of 6500 lbs.

IP Logged

Reply #62 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:27am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
that fixture jig looks pretty handy to hold that fuse steady for the infill planking - looks just fine to me too

Ahhh - the magic of digital photography. Do appreciate the good words but this infill work truly takes a lot of time to do well. I have far different covering plans for my other golden age racers.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #61 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 8:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Mike - that fixture jig looks pretty handy to hold that fuse steady for the infill planking - looks just fine to me too.  Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #60 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 4:10pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

planking looks fine.  We all use a little filler to smooth thing out if necessary after initial sanding.  That big round cowling will definitely take most of the focus when it's mounted!!!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #59 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 12:23pm

New Builder   Offline

Hesitated to post these pictures since the infill in the nose is a bit crude but after sanding and finishing doubt anyone will care much. The cowl will cover the first 3/8 inch and the stunning red color will drown out any prior thoughts. Also decided to leave the plane on the fixture for initial sanding as it holds really well and will keep me from sticking my fingers thru the stringers.

Bottoms_Up.jpg (110 KB | 1 )
Bottoms_Up.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:09pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I always use Testors or Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear - never a problem and it is safe over decals naturally

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 9:33am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Lots of modelers are using Krylon Chrystal Clear Gloss for a final finish.
Tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print