Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flying Platform & my Grandfather (Read 395 times)
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 12:32pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Craig.  Ya gotta love the "old school" inventors and engineers!  Smiley  Great story!  You were very lucky to have such an ingenious Grandad to mentor you.   Cool
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 12:59am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Craig 3, nice story and did your grandad ever laugh about it?

What was it like flying two different bipes training students?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 7:41am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Bob- Here's one of my favorites: Pre WWII, Grandad was a small Piper dealer- as things were coming unwound, the government commandeered two of the three J3s he had in inventory and let him keep one.
He wound up doing primary instructing at VPI in Blacksburg, VA as part of the Civilian Pilot Training Program in '43 and '44, primarily in N3Ns and UPF-7s, and used his Cub to come home to WV when he could.
On his way home for the holidays in '43, he was coming up the Alleghenies in bad weather using "IFR" (I Follow Roads) as a nav aid. As he was getting close to his home airport in Elkins, he had been forced so low that he cut a high-line electric cable with his prop. It beat the prop up, and banged the cowling up, but otherwise no damage and he landed ok.
He pulled the damaged parts off, came home and grabbed a new prop, straightened up the cowling & shot some yellow paint on it, and went to bed.
The next morning, bright and early, he drove the 14 miles back to the airport and put it back together. He'd just finished brushing some touch-up paint on a landing gear leg when a knock came on the hanger door. It was a couple "government men," asking around about any strangers that may have been seen in the area. Grandad hadn't seen anyone all day, so Christmas greetings were exchanged all around, he gathered up his tools, and headed home.
He picked up a newspaper on the way home and only then saw the headline "Nazi Saboteurs cut power lines into Elkins industrial area!"
Finally, the truth comes out... The prop lived on as a "test club"

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:36pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Would loved to have heard just one story. Fantastic history happened your way.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:57pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Craig - I just love these invention stories - you were very lucky to have a Granddad like that !!  A "Flying Platform" ...  WOW  Shocked
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2017 at 10:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You have a rich heritage! I'm sure he had lots of stories!
Tom
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:37am by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:29pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Grandad was a Piper dealer before WWII- The government commandeered his stock of planes when war broke out and he went to work in the WTS doing primary instruction at VPI in N3N "Yellow Perils" and Waco UPF-7s. This pic is him in a Waco in 1943.

IMG_5702.JPG (52 KB | 7 )
IMG_5702.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 8:19pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

It was purely a ground-effect rig- probably 4-5 feet vertical. You leaned to steer-throttled it like a motorcycle. He pretty much abandoned it after "proof-of-concept" flights because it lacked an overrunning clutch and thus had not even a wishful-thinking shot at autorotation if the engine quit.
Right after this, he built a gyrocopter, then scratch built a gas turbine engine (I still have it, too). Then he played with race cars for a few years, followed by building a  Rotorway Scorpion II- only with a Garrett turbine out of a Navy Surplus APU in place of the usual Evinrude. He was quite a guy & I really miss him!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 7:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Very interesting.  How high did it hover over the ground?  Interesting and very creative!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

May 4th, 2017 at 5:00pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I'm sorry about the quality of this "picture of a picture." This is my Grandfather, and my namesake, circa 1976 stride a flying platform he built and successfully flew around 1952. Powered by a C65 Continental mounted vertically, it swung a pair of shortened J3 props mounted to a '49 Plymouth differential assembly to provide the counter-rotation. We still have it- I'll try to uncover it and get more pics. It might make an interesting modeling project!

IMG_5681.JPG (36 KB | 19 )
IMG_5681.JPG
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print