Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hangar 1080 - MKelly's Planes (Read 1724 times)
Reply #22 - May 1st, 2018 at 11:55am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

fantastic jetcat (catajet).  Love this model and sure makes flying rubber power almost take a backseat to the catajet.  Thanks for sharing this beauty with us!!! Smiley
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2018 at 8:47am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Watched your flying video Mike...great flyer...great looks...great model.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:57pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Me-262 jetcat from a short kit designed by a friend in Canada.  17" span, 26 grams balanced and ready to fly.  Finish is printed tissue, with the graphics adapted from a flight simulator "skin" found on the web.  Trimmed easily and flies very well with a very repeatable climbout and transition to glide.  Best flight so far is 29 seconds.

Flight video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO6eSeYRn-0

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:46pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Megow dime scale F5F Skyrocket, built Dec 2017-Feb 2018 for the S&T dime scale cookup.  15" span, domestic tissue finish with printed tissue insignia and numbers.  Props are hand-carved blades inserted into laminated turned spinners (and are the major weak point, I break a blade almost every flying day).  Very light.  Initial trimming flights were promising, but the weak props have stymied getting it truly dialed in.  Currently experimenting with a set of counter-rotating props, believe I'll eventually need to make another set of props with more pitch and a more robust blade material or more forgiving blade mounting scheme.

Trimming video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWYI2RL0nk

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:34pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding models Mike... Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:27pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Built this Ryan Navion in Nov-Dec 2017.  Comet design, built from a Diels Engineering reproduction kit.  It came out light and flies very well.  All tissue finish, insignia and tail numbers printed on tissue then applied to the model.

Flight video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuRm74fB1s

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:18pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Figured I should add the Tigercat to the hangar.  1/24th scale from the Diels Engineering kit (25.5" span).  Finish is all tissue; silver, red and chalked white esaki with black trim cut from domestic tissue.  There is a long and tedious build thread here on Stick and Tissue.

Flew it basically untrimmed in the Double Trouble mass launch at WESTFAC VI, made it to the second round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6pJJ5I_Rho&t=24s.  WESTFAC pictures below are from the WESTFAC site.

Still trimming it out, best flight so far is 33 seconds:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1IuhPLISrU

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Aug 6th, 2017 at 5:19pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Latest completion - peanut scale Miller "Little Gem", 1964 Reno winner.  This is from the Shorty's Basement short kit of "'Ole Tiger" (Bob Downey bought "Little Gem" after the 1964 season and raced it as "Ole Tiger" into the mid 1970s).

Heavy for a peanut at just over 20g, but it's got a big wing so wing loading looks pretty good at ~.4g/sq in.

Once the wind drops down here I'll start trimming and see how she flies.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2017 at 8:20pm by MKelly »  
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:09pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks!  It was a fun build, and I'm looking forward to flying it at WestFAC this fall.  Should be able to put a bit more rubber in it and let it really cover some ground.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:50pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Just watched your videos, Mike.  Your Waco biplane flew fabulously !!! So cool to see a biplane Free Flight!!  Smiley Gives me something to shoot for with my Sig 20" Customaire, that's for sure !
LASTWOODSMAN

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:25am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

For those that might be interested, I post assorted flight videos from our flying sessions here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrDJLKAOVOet8iW5BDzBgA

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2017 at 10:24am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Bob,  thanks - the Waco is the best-looking model I've ever made.

The navy plane is Douglas Skyshark, rather than a Ryan Dark Shark.  Same era, different plane.  Maybe I need to do a Dark Shark too!

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2017 at 3:38pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, the Waco looks really good and I love that Dark Shark. the video shows that it does fly really well.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2017 at 12:44pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Hi Huey, just posted an answer to this in the intro forum.  Did you ever get to fly the original Zippy?

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2017 at 9:45am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Hi Mike. Was wondering how the Zippy did. My friend Ed Fisher designed the original Zippy, which flew hands off on first flight. Nice to see a model of it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print