Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sinbad Jr. 30 inch Glider (Read 2665 times)
Reply #44 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:51pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Amazing how often it's the simple things like that.  I must confess I've done that myself.  It's one of those "DuH"  moments!!!  Glad you found the solution!
Tom Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 6:28pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I got the radio and motor all hooked up and working Smiley  My biggest hurdle was when I had everything finally all soldered together and the servos worked but not the motor.  I checked and rechecked - stumped.  The next morning I was looking again and right before my eyes I discovered the "Arm/Disarm" switch!!!  That was the issue.  Flipped it and the motor worked great. 

Sinbad_Jr_060.JPG (126 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_060.JPG

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 6:26pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I opened the Radio and Charger units.  Wow. 

I'm thinking this can't be as difficult as the instructions seem.  I'm doing a simple, standard setup, so I should just be able to do the transmitter/receiver pairing and I'm good to go with presets.  I'm not in the mood to buy a cable to access their app and doing a custom set up.

The charger is worse.  I think it will do a great job, but this seems way over complicated and difficult to set up for what I'm after.  I got my larger 300 mah battery charged so I can at least get things working.  My smaller 150mah battery only has one set of wires (power), so all the fancy normalize/capacity functions of the charger won't work.  I'm pretty sure I have to solder up a couple of adaptors as well as solder on the end connectors to the motor and ESC.

My son is covering the wing and doing a great job.  First time doing this.  I also think the checkered tissue is OK shiny side out on the small pieces.  He applied it shiny side in on the wings which will work better.  I had to go over the shiny yellow squares on the small parts with a wet Q-Tip to work water through them to get any shrinkage.

Sinbad_Jr_055.JPG (114 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_055.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_056.JPG (146 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_056.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_057.JPG (153 KB | 12 )
Sinbad_Jr_057.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_058.JPG (124 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_058.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_059.JPG (104 KB | 11 )
Sinbad_Jr_059.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:10pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Woodsman, thanks for the kind words.

I bought the checkered tissue from Volare Products.  It was one of those items I just wanted to have on hand and I was stocking up on tissue to spread out the shipping cost across more items  Smiley

http://volareproducts.com/BUY/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products...

IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 10:51pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Super build Brad! Smiley  By the way, where do you buy that checkered tissue from ? - or did you print it yourself ?
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 11:12am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I have the access hatch underway.  It's still not all worked out, but getting close.

My son, Max, is helping we with this build and he is selecting the colors/design to finish.  He's 28 and an artist, so it's hopefully going to look great.  He stained the fuselage front and wing center/power pod.  We need to touch up  the brown where glue was, but it will look good.  We are also using checkered tissue for the first time.  Fun stuff.

I have my servos mounted in a wood/ply tray which is held in place by the removable fuselage front.  That worked out well and  no need for additional screws, etc.

I can't put off dealing with my radio gear much longer - time to open it up, read up and break out the soldering iron  Smiley

Sinbad_Jr_048.JPG (105 KB | 10 )
Sinbad_Jr_048.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_049.JPG (126 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_049.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_050.JPG (99 KB | 11 )
Sinbad_Jr_050.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_051.JPG (111 KB | 6 )
Sinbad_Jr_051.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_052.JPG (113 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_052.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_053.JPG (112 KB | 11 )
Sinbad_Jr_053.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:38pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Staubkorb:

Thanks for the info.  I like your idea about using fuel tubing to allow some simple motor angle trim adjustments.

I had to laugh when you said the motor might be a bit too much for the plane - because I literally have no idea.  This is my first dive in electric motors, ESC, etc.  I guess I thought it was about the same relative size as a glow motor.  This was the smallest motor my hobby store had on hand - that was my selection process  Roll Eyes  I'm think this plane does not have a long life expectancy - but hopefully I will learn a lot for the next project.

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 5:39am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Note, the motor sits high above and forward of the CG, which will exert a DOWN-pitching moment!  You may actually need UP-thrust.  I'd start with zero, measured in relationship to the stab.

A very simple way to make thrust adjustment is to use silicon fuel tubing sliced into 1/8 thick disks and placed on the screws behind the motor mount.  The amount of tightening determines the thrust angle.

I somehow get the feeling that your motor might be a bit much for that plane Undecided.

Gorgeous build so far!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 11:45am

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I used washers behind the motor mounts in the past with a bit of locktight to set the screws after using Cyano to harden the wood on the mount.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 11:07am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Tom:

My plan is to adjust for down/right thrust with shim plates when I mount the motor to the firewall. 

I covered the pod riser sides,  I've figured out my servo mounts and I built a side hatch for equipment access last night.  Here are a couple shots the pod brace sides covered.  I left a slot open on one side to run the wires down.

Sinbad_Jr_046.JPG (82 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_046.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_047.JPG (81 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_047.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 3:26pm

Sky9pilot   Online
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Brad...couldn't tell if you allowed for any down and right thrust adjustment in your motor mount?  She's coming along nicely.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 10:53am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Brad! - just caught up on your build - FAN-TAS-TIC! Very interesting and informative!
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 3:41pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I also worked out my front canopy hold down.  A simple pin configuration. 

I installed my hinges on the tail surfaces and have a rough control horn in place.  I still need to trim them down a bit, but they are close.  I used 1/64th ply for the control horns.

Sinbad_Jr_040.JPG (65 KB | 11 )
Sinbad_Jr_040.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_041.JPG (79 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_041.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_042.JPG (73 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_042.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_039.JPG (117 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_039.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 3:34pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Progress has been slow lately - we had guests visiting for the last 5 days - but I did sneak a bit of progress.

First, I figured out my detachable wing mount set up.  Dual clips mounted to the bottom of the wing slide through the top wing mount and will then have two small screws at the back of the wing to lock it in place.

Sinbad_Jr_037.JPG (76 KB | 9 )
Sinbad_Jr_037.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_038.JPG (107 KB | 12 )
Sinbad_Jr_038.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_043.JPG (72 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_043.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_045.JPG (80 KB | 5 )
Sinbad_Jr_045.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 3:46pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

The good news is that I loosely assembled the entire plane and roughly placed the radio components into position and the balance was just about perfectly located!!  I'm sure I'll have room to move components enough once the plane is completed to adjust for any changes.

Bad news.  Weight  Angry  I'll definitely weigh this again taking more time to make sure it's correct, but the entire plane with radio gear (less receiver) showed 72 grams.  I am pretty sure the airframe is around 55 grams (plus/minus) that leaves 17 grams for the motor/prop/battery and radio gear.  It's more of a plane than a motorized glider.

Sinbad_Jr_030.JPG (107 KB | 10 )
Sinbad_Jr_030.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_031.JPG (115 KB | 12 )
Sinbad_Jr_031.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_032.JPG (58 KB | 11 )
Sinbad_Jr_032.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_034.JPG (131 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_034.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_035.JPG (127 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_035.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_036.JPG (85 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_036.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print