Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Sinbad Jr. 30 inch Glider (Read 2997 times)
Reply #59 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:03pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I came across some old photos from the early 1970's.

He I am with a Sinbad at my work bench and a shot of my Dad and I flying the Sinbad in the California Bay Area foothills behind the HP Labs.

069_001.jpg (95 KB | 0 )
069_001.jpg
070_001.jpg (80 KB | 0 )
070_001.jpg

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #58 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 5:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

You could always enlarge the Splat Jr.'s wing a bit and add some dihedral there and slow down the motor and not fly at full throttle.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #57 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:46am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Sky:  I'm hoping to make my first wing a bit longer - about a 36 inch span with lots of dihedral.  I will use three channels for the first wing:  elevator, rudder and throttle.   I'll use 4 channels with the second wing adding ailerons and flattening out the wing.

I have the same concern about making this too fast.  I built the SST 1/2a plane years ago and flew it for 3 of the most intense minutes of my flying career.  The .049 at full throttle, ailerons and elevator only, on the edge of crashing constantly, no time to relax until I panicked and drove it straight into the ground!!  But it was barely damaged Smiley

I know that Sinbad might be a more gentle flyer, but at 95 grams, it's not going to take a hard landing well.  I probably should have built the full size Sinbad - it would have handled the radio gear better.

I'm hoping that the dihedral, extra span and not over powering the plane will make Das Splat Jr. a more gentle flyer.  We will see Grin

Maybe I should just build a Piper Cub??  Those look gentle.

IP Logged

Reply #56 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Totally understand the desire to brush up on your rc abilities.  I think you'll find the Splat Jr. a bit of a rocket with the small span and 1/2a equivalent motor.  How many channels will you be using on the set wing with no ailerons? 

On some of my rc planes I used just two channels with the 1/2a .049 constant speed engine using aileron and elevator.  But that's just because I never really mastered the rudder/elevator, I tended to hold too much rudder causing over control.  I think they called it "Thick Thumbs"  at the rc club.   Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy Wink

You just might find the Sinbad Jr a bit slower and easier to fly model.  Just a thought!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #55 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:04pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I'm putting flying the Sinbad Jr. on hold........

Driving home from work last night, I realized that I will most likely destroy the plane my first attempt to fly it.  I have not flown a radio controlled plane for 25+ years and the Sinbad Jr. is a pretty fragile stick and tissue plane.  I just keep visualizing landing hard and the wing tearing off along with the top of the fuselage.

Then I remembered seeing a small, 1/2 finished fuselage in one of my scrape wood boxes!!  So when I got home I dug it out and even found the plans  Smiley  It's a 32 inch span Das Splat Jr.  I'm going to build two wings:  one without ailerons and a lot of dihedral and the second with limited dihedral and ailerons.  Both with be attached with rubber bands to the fuselage.

This well be a tough, hard to break, easy to fix plane that I can re-learn flying with.  Then I'll fly the Sinbad Jr.

I'll post my build of the Das Splat Jr. here in the Radio Control build section as well.

Hopefully I will post flight tests for the Sinbad in a couple of months.

IP Logged

Reply #54 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 9:10pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Brad - your Sinbad looks great    Smiley  - nice color scheme, and not a bad fish story either ...  LOL  Grin  - did you alternate your colors on the Sinbad like that for visibility reasons, so you can see it when it is very far away ?
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #53 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 3:31pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Just a few more shots showing the canopy in place and the pushrods - which I had to redo because I made them 1 inch too long  Angry

Total weight is approx. 95 grams.

Sinbad_Jr_078.JPG (85 KB | 5 )
Sinbad_Jr_078.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_079.JPG (89 KB | 2 )
Sinbad_Jr_079.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_080.JPG (75 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_080.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_082.JPG (94 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_082.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_084.JPG (112 KB | 2 )
Sinbad_Jr_084.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_085.JPG (80 KB | 5 )
Sinbad_Jr_085.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #52 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 3:21pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

LWM:  the weirdest part was sitting on the edge of the boat and just seeing a huge "shark fin" coming toward you and the captain yelling "Jump"!!!   It's just very un-natural to jump into the water with a shark, even though Whale Sharks don't have teeth and they are really just big puppies.  It was very awesome swimming along something that large and powerful.

Here are some finishing shots of my build.  It's ready to fly with just some small items left i.e. setting final balance, timing the motor run, etc.

I did run the battery down at about 1/2 power and it ran for 5 min.  Lots of pull!!  I did take out my adjustment for down thrust.  With my little test hand tosses w power, it was really being pulled nose down. 

Sinbad_Jr_073.JPG (74 KB | 3 )
Sinbad_Jr_073.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_074.JPG (88 KB | 5 )
Sinbad_Jr_074.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_075.JPG (102 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_075.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_076.JPG (97 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_076.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_077.JPG (94 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_077.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_086.JPG (120 KB | 3 )
Sinbad_Jr_086.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #51 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:04pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Brad - how did that make you feel swimming so close to such a huge powerful big fish leviathan like that ?   Smiley   Just curious ...
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #50 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:27am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

LWM:  Yes, that photo was taken in open ocean about 2 hours out off the coast of Cancun, Mexico.  I'm not sure of the distance.  I don't know if this is normal or not, but there were about 10-12 Whale Sharks swimming all around us.  We had to work at staying out of their way Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #49 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 7:48pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Brad - that was a pretty cool Whale Shark you were swimming with    Smiley   - was that in the open ocean?
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #48 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 3:21pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Completed covering the fuselage.  Now to shrink and dope, mounting tail surfaces and radio installation.

It won't be long until I destroy the plane trying to fly it  Smiley  I'll make sure to get some video.

Sinbad_Jr_071.JPG (81 KB | 5 )
Sinbad_Jr_071.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_072.JPG (75 KB | 4 )
Sinbad_Jr_072.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #47 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 5:26pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking good. Brings back memories of the rc days.  Like the checkerboard on the flying surfaces. 

Brave man swimming with sharks!!!

Look forward to flying pics/video soon!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #46 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 3:04pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I'm back from a wonderful week in Mexico where I got to swim with Whale Sharks!! and just have some good relaxing times with my family.  Now I'm ready to get this build completed  Smiley 

I covered the top of the fuselage and attached the windshield.  The bottom sides will require covering in smaller sections to keep it smooth.

Sinbad_Jr_066.JPG (113 KB | 6 )
Sinbad_Jr_066.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_067.JPG (89 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_067.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_068.JPG (98 KB | 6 )
Sinbad_Jr_068.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_069.JPG (106 KB | 9 )
Sinbad_Jr_069.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #45 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:57am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I got the push rods worked out - with a bit of old school technique.  The nylon ends are way over kill, but adjustable and the smallest thing I have on hand.  Lighter than the small metal ones I have although the nylon is more bulky.

I got the fin attached to the stabilizer.  I needed to do this to finalize my pushrod placement existing the fuselage.  Now that that is done, we'll start to cover the fuselage with tissue.

Getting close to finishing this project up!!

Sinbad_Jr_062.JPG (89 KB | 7 )
Sinbad_Jr_062.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_063.JPG (96 KB | 10 )
Sinbad_Jr_063.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_064.JPG (58 KB | 10 )
Sinbad_Jr_064.JPG
Sinbad_Jr_065.JPG (60 KB | 8 )
Sinbad_Jr_065.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print