Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vacuum Form Platen (Read 167 times)
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 7:56am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Ian - I'm just getting started with my vacuum forming so have not tried anything but do have some cornstarch in my kitchen supplies an will use that when the time comes as chalk dust seems hard to find w/o creating it.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 11:29am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Yes, the info of baby powder is helpful. The baby powder used today is usually cornstarch because of the talc potential hazards. It seems strange that all of us were powdered with talc (as babies) without any lasting effects that we know of. It seems that modern babies are somehow more fragile. Anyways, cornstarch is an organic material, and is prone to cook to a sticky substance at relatively low temperatures. Chalk, however, is more of a mineral and should not have that problem. Have you ever used chalk dust as a release powder?
ian

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 9:00am

New Builder   Offline

Bob - A migraine, I cannot even imagine the problems that come with that, I get cranky with my allergy headaches. My SIL gets migraines and she is out of commission for at least 2 days so you have my condolences. As to the vac form top, the peg board looks like a great solution as I was thinking about 3/16 holes on a 3/4 x 3/4 grid, now I don't need to drill all those holes. Thank you for your help as always.
Tom - Thank you for the additional info as to the baby powder making a good mold release. It's getting harder to find after the lawsuit for talc causing problems.
BTW - I've tried to do some of my model work in the kitchen and oooh the feedback, glad I have a room for my model work and a workshop in the garage.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 12:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Some have just taken a sheet of wood and drawn a crisscross pattern and drilled a hole at the cross points to get the holes closer together.  The closer the holes are together the less webbing you'll experience.  It's also good to raise the plug off the platen surface using some wood under the plug 3/32" to 1/4" to allow the vacuum to pull the plastic down close to the bottom edge of the plug.  Dusting the plug with some baby power and then blowing it off works well as a release and easily cleans off the plastic after forming.
Tom

vac1.jpg (349 KB | 5 )
vac1.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:24am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

NB, sorry for not reading your post correctly yesterday. I will blame it on the migraine  Embarrassed Cry.

I use peg board as the surface to place your template on. Here are some photos I hope will help.

Bob

IMG_4688_001.JPG (164 KB | 4 )
IMG_4688_001.JPG
VW095_001.JPG (182 KB | 4 )
VW095_001.JPG
VW094_001.JPG (194 KB | 4 )
VW094_001.JPG
VS_0051_001.JPG (144 KB | 4 )
VS_0051_001.JPG
VW096_001.JPG (194 KB | 4 )
VW096_001.JPG

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 7:13am

New Builder   Offline

Bigrip - Thank you for your reply and you answered one of my unspoken questions about the vac attachment. I have already purchased a hole saw in the right diameter to add a PVC pipe to the side but will look for your solution at Lee Valley (they opened a store in my town and need to stay away due to the perceived pressure of needing new tools for the work shop) as they will probably have a solution.

The platen I was referring to is the plate on the top of the vac box with an array of holes where the mold rests for the plastic to come into contact to be pulled down. Those holes and the pattern spacing seems important (at least to me) since too small a hole, both in pattern and size would make the process too slow and too big may not work at all. I look forward to your experience for some insight.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 11:18am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

NB, I just cut the hole in the side of my Vac Box the size of the end of the Vac nozzle then since the hole was just a fraction big I wrapped the vac nozzle with some masking tape and it works great. I had bought the RIDGID no.VT1407  to use but the 2 3/4" x 2 3/4" base was too big for my box. It may work for yours or give some ideas.

IMG_4675.JPG (145 KB | 3 )
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_4677.JPG (165 KB | 3 )
IMG_4677.JPG
IMG_4681_001.JPG (165 KB | 3 )
IMG_4681_001.JPG

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Jun 13th, 2017 at 7:54am

New Builder   Offline

Getting ready to finish my vacuum forming box and was thinking about the vent hole size on the platen. Any recommendations from successful endeavors? Just a note here in that I'm using my shop vac and it has plenty of horsepower.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print