HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bird Dog--My first (Read 1089 times)
Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 8:41pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Don't get ahead of yourself, MM.  Grin  I would recommend that before matte finishes and pigmented paints...you seal that tissue.  Therein lay the rub...traditionally the hobby has utilized clear dope for that...but in various locations, the environmentalists have gotten the upper hand.  So just about everything under the sun has been tried.  Me...I'm a "doper," in spite of the wife's objections to the smell.  The other guys are using something  newer and "gentler."  Grin  All these other guys can steer you in the right direction.  I tried Future floor polish once...worked but took forever to thoroughly dry (I ultimately doped over everything).  Anyway...after you've applied the seal coat...then you proceed to create your work of art.  I'm a firm believer that FINISH is the most dramatic part of a model's character.  Just imagine a plastic Ford Victoria with no finish...then imagine a really detailed final model...and you'll get the picture.  Smiley  So artist...prepare your canvas carefully.  Wink

This is only a suggestion. It's quite possible that I have much to learn. Wink  I'm remiss to tell anyone how to do a procedure or what materials to use...because really, a hobby (imo) is all about working with whatever you're comfortable with.  I'm certain that you've already arrived at your own conclusions during your modeling lifetime.  Smiley Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:51pm

Mangledmess   Offline

I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Woodsman, I don't think it is "Mastered".  It's more along the line of "Dumb Luck".   It has only been shrunk so I am wondering what it will do when I spritz it with Krylon acrylic matte clear and airbrushed with some Tamiya paint thinned with alcohol.  That is the products I have on hand so I hope it works.

You can solve ANY flight problem with the correct load in your Mossberg.
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 6:16pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

MM - there is nothing shoddy about that plane - looks like you have mastered tissue covering! Congratulations are in order!

LW

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 4:06pm

Mangledmess   Offline

I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Neal, those photos do not clutter my build thread, they are very welcome.  Your DH 2 is lovely!!!  Your photos and Woodsmans photos help hide my shoddy workmanship on my build!!!   I am sure that in my journey of building wood and tissue kits I will botch a few and mangle up some covering jobs but that is just part of the process.  As far as rigging, you never know until you try.  My first might look like a 7 year olds box kite but I will try again. 

For the L19, I have most if not all of it covered and just have a few details yet to work out.  The tissue in this kit worked out much better for me than what was in the Lancer.  It looks and feels like much better quality than what I got in the lancer.  Here is where I am now and I will post up some pics when I get it completed.
I'll tell you guys this much, this has been more fun than stuffing a straw hat through a key hole and made me happier than a hobo wearing a green tie!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 12:44pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

First...I must apologize for cluttering your build with my photos. Huh  MM...here's a DH2 that I built way back in the 80's...no plan...just eyeballed it so-to-speak and measured a 3-view to get the proportions relatively correct.  Of course...used lots of photo references.  Wingspan is 18" and was intended to follow in the spirit of Guillow's original WWI series (built as a kid at the end of the last ice age).  As you can see...construction of the actual model is pretty straight-forward.  Then comes the rigging.  Wink  As LWM says...lots of rigging...in fact...it's all rigging. Smiley  Still, I wouldn't let that slow you down...it's nothing that can't be managed.  Just keep in mind...for display, is great...but to fly, there's the problem of motor length.  It's a perfect subject for display...or electric Free Flight.

You're doin' great on the Birddog.  Good job on the covering...at one time or another, that's every modeler's bug-a-boo (gremlin). Smiley

Neal
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2017 at 1:48pm by Kerak »  
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:50am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

MM - I bought the DH2 kit from Ozark Model Aviation (Mike Midkiff) 28" 1:12 scale $55, and I have shelved it until later on - no rigging diagrams or instructions on the plans - it is a complex build, and the only rigging diagram I could find is the "DH-2 Rigging Guide by T. L. West2009"  www.zoygig.com ; - there are free plans to print out from "Outerzone" and plans to buy from "Cleveland Airlines"

LW

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:38am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

MM - there is a lot of complex rigging in the DH2. The way you are going is just right - especially cutting your teeth on the easy rigging of the Dumas Eindecker ( I really recommend the Spad 7 after the EIII, because it is an easy next step in a different rigging style).  I am sure you will do just fine with the easy Eindecker and I look forward to your build and lots of pics! Smiley
I built my EIII, but am in the process of adding a balsa prop and pilot after looking at it for so long without a nice prop and pilot - just a static display - here is a couple of pics

LW

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:20am

Mangledmess   Offline

I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Woodsman, I just drooled all over my keyboard looking at your Spad.  I have that plane on my want to do list.  I really want to try a de havilland dh 2.  Anyone make a kit of that or is it one I would have to do from some plans?  When I finish the Eindecker, I have a laser cut Nieuport to try unless I practice a little more on some Pipers and Cessnas.  I figure the more I do the more I learn what NOT to do and my skills will improve.  My next step is to sell off a big pile of plastic, I think I just might be done with that!

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 9:02am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I built the Eindecker also and it also has great rigging plans - all you need is stretch thread! Smiley

LW

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 8:57am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hello MM - glad to see you like the balsa stuff - in my humble opinion, if you want a simple, easy to build WW1 bipe to build, with the easiest and best plans for a first introduction to "rigging" - so easy with this model, all you need is black stretch thread (or gray or what ever), the rigging instructions and diagrams are so great on this model,  the relatively recent release Dumas "SPAD 7" 18" kit #238

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=137_60&products_id=1196

I hope that link works ...
it actually has Mahogany laser  cut struts with all of the rigging holes pre-drilled and super easy rigging diagrams. A genuinely super kit and you are more than ready for a bipe !  Here is a couple of pics of mine - just a static display, because I carved a "Chauvier Integrale" prop for it.  I will eat my hat if you don't think this is one of the coolest kits ever!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:35am

Mangledmess   Offline

I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Hahaha!  Yep, that's right Woodsman, 50+ years of plastic cars with a good amount of Armor mixed in.  This wood thing is quite a change but I find it very enjoyable.  I am still learning how to pick up parts and even the build itself without destroying it.  This takes a much lighter touch than with plastic.  I find this hobby makes you think more while trying to make it look nice AND make it function.  With plastic, you can detail all you want but it just sits on the shelf and looks pretty in the end.  I can play with this stuff!!!   I am only on my second build ever and I have been following your thread and a few others.  It gives me a level to shoot for, your stuff looks just wonderful.  I have not yet tried a laser cut kit yet but the next is a Dumas Eindecker EIII where I will try my hand at some rigging.  All this is the most fun I have had while wearing clothes in some time.  Thank you for the encouragement and I will keep trying to improve and learn.  You keep building the beautiful stuff you do and I will keep watching.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:05pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Your plane looks great MM.  Watch out! - this balsa plane kit hobby is very addicting!   Personally, I found the Dumas kits to have great instructions, great plans, and easy builds - all laser cut - I never flew one yet though ... I only just now got my first "built-up fuse"  22" Sig Cabinaire "trimmed out" and flying with 20 seconds of rubber power run ... a very rewarding and gratifying feeling ... 50 years of plastic styrene you say ?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 4:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Very nice job!!! She's going to be a beauty!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

An elegant & well-engineered solution. I like it!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:19pm

Mangledmess   Offline

I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Despite my heavy-handedness at times, this thing is moving right along.  After reading replies I attached the wings in this method shown.  It might be overkill to some but I could imagine this thing dropping a wing into the ground and doing cartwheels so hopefully this will help keep one wing from ripping off.  The angle is set, the dihedral and the whole unit drops over the cabin just right. 

Someone asked for a pic of the plan.  Here is the exploded view and plan. 
The only thing stated on the plan is the wings are shown separated.  I am guessing the builder knows to build them as one unit maybe?  There are only two connectors shown but I added some extra lumber and gussets.  Again, it might be overkill but I am still learning.  Everyone here has been very helpful, I thank you for that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print