Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Bird Dog--My first (Read 2807 times)
Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 10:05pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Your plane looks great MM.  Watch out! - this balsa plane kit hobby is very addicting!   Personally, I found the Dumas kits to have great instructions, great plans, and easy builds - all laser cut - I never flew one yet though ... I only just now got my first "built-up fuse"  22" Sig Cabinaire "trimmed out" and flying with 20 seconds of rubber power run ... a very rewarding and gratifying feeling ... 50 years of plastic styrene you say ?

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 4:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Very nice job!!! She's going to be a beauty!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

An elegant & well-engineered solution. I like it!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:19pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Despite my heavy-handedness at times, this thing is moving right along.  After reading replies I attached the wings in this method shown.  It might be overkill to some but I could imagine this thing dropping a wing into the ground and doing cartwheels so hopefully this will help keep one wing from ripping off.  The angle is set, the dihedral and the whole unit drops over the cabin just right. 

Someone asked for a pic of the plan.  Here is the exploded view and plan. 
The only thing stated on the plan is the wings are shown separated.  I am guessing the builder knows to build them as one unit maybe?  There are only two connectors shown but I added some extra lumber and gussets.  Again, it might be overkill but I am still learning.  Everyone here has been very helpful, I thank you for that.

You can solve ANY flight problem with the correct load in your Mossberg.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 2:00pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I don't know if your plans call for wash out in the wing tip trailing edges. I believe Don Ross called for 1/16" for every foot of span.
Tom

washin_washout.jpg (23 KB | 13 )
washin_washout.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 8:47am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Fear not!  The 900 series kits ALL fly - if built to the plans.  The BD is considered by many as the best flyer of the series.  Important is to make SURE that the fuselage is as square as possible.  The only really beneficial change would be to ditch the rubber for some Tan Sport or Super Sport (SIG rubber is also adequate and marginally less costly than TAN).

The prop would be another candidate for a swap for a Peck version.  The stock unit will work, but many (including myself) consider them to be useful only as covfefe stirrers or glue spreaders.

Check out scigs30's threads.  He gets ALL of his Guillow's builds to fly!

Pete

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 12:46am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

MM, would you mind showing the full view of the plans that show the attachment of the wings to the fuselage?  I would go along with some of the suggestions of adding a wing spar through the wing to the fusealge attachment point.  A saddle method is also very good for ensuring accuracy during flight.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 5:33pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

It's all about the fun, and this is the most helpful resource and friendliest group of people you'll ever find. I think your build looks great- including your cover work. They get better every time!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 5:17pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

There are some cross braces shown on the exploded view but they are not mentioned or called out anywhere.  I kinda think the way you and I have discussed is the way the wing(s) were intended to be mounted.  As far as I can tell so far, the angle on the leading edge will be set at or about 3 to 4 degrees like your drawing.  If it never flies, I won't be upset, I will be happy I completed this thing and even more happy if it looks nice.  If I can get my stuff to look half as nice as some of the builds I have seen on this forum, I will feel like a pro.  This is all "School" for me so if I butcher one, there are other kits on the shelf.   I do not expect a show winner from the first kits I build.  I find this interesting and fun and that is what is important right?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:41pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

MM...I think NB is right as far as the plans go.  I'm one of those guys who likes to build the wing all together in one piece.  It's always been a real challenge to get the two wing panels on the fuselage in proper alignment and incidence as required.  A one piece wing (the two outer panels and a middle panel with the dihedral set) has always been my preference.  I would build a wing saddle on the fuselage with the proper incidence (the angle of the leading edge in reference to the trailing edge, usually +2 to +3 degrees).  I hope this makes sense to you.  You can just glue the wing to the saddle when your ready. 

You might want to hold the wing on with rubber bands till you have it trimmed and this will allow you to shim the leading edge up or down to get the nice flat glide you're looking  for.  Then glue it after that. 

Tom

incidence.gif (4 KB | 10 )
incidence.gif

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 11:05am

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Thanks BR Bob.  I have to laugh at myself.  I can make a mistake while making a mistake, I call it Peripheral Cranial Inversion.  I just might get this to look nice if I don't choke on the tissue part.  I am thinking the more of these I do, the easier that part will get.  The kit is the Guillows #902 and even though I have read everything on the plan at least three times, it still leaves me guessing at some of the assembly.  I am happy it is just a kit and I am not trying to operate a nuclear power plant for the first time.  I will post up more pics as I move along and I will post pics even if I botch the whole thing.  I still feel experience is the best teacher but the darn fees sure are high.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 10:00am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

MM, the Birddog is looking nice. What kit is this I do not recognize the plans. What New Builder stated about snickers is true. We can only snicker at our own builds since everyone here has good and bad days while working on the board. I learn something each time someone posts a photo of their build progress.

Again nice L-19 Smiley

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 8:50am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Mangled - Very sure you will not hear any snickering on this site, it's dedicated to helping and supporting, I should know as I'm a bit of a neewby myself. Get ready for some helpful input as it will probably come pretty quickly. From my point of view and what I can see of the plans, seems the designer intended for the wings to be mounted to the side of the two bulkheads showing out the top but they look a bit small, I would add some thickness there and go ahead and fasten the wings in place and maybe extend the spars to meet inside and splice together there.

IP Logged

Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:35pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

OK Guys, I finished the Lancer and it flew.  I really call this my first project, I learned some on the Lancer and took much more time on this one.  This kit is a delicate little sucker----or at least it seems that way to me after 50+ years of styrene plastic.  At times I still sand or handle things like I did plastic and end up making new parts.  The Fuse went together pretty well and I got it STRAIGHT!  I am not sure I will have the nerve to fly this one, it just feels too delicate to take a hard landing but it will be set up with the rubber and all.  It is not clear to me how the wings attach so I have parts cut to build a center section on the board and set the dihedral at 7/8 inch as called for on the plans.  I will attach both wings together as a unit.  I am new to this so that was my best guess but I am sure you long timers are snickering at me right now.  I only got two small wrinkles in the leading edge of the wing but they might go away when I spray it to shrink it.  That tissue really gives me fits.  At any rate, I am having fun and I think that is what I am supposed to do, right?  After I shrink the tissue I plan to shoot on some Krylon matte clear acrylic and then airbrush on some light color.  I will take all the pointers you guys want to give me at this point, I'm a real noob here.  I enjoy this so I may never go back to plastic cars.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print