Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
KATHERINE STINSON - Greatest Female Aviator by LWM (Read 599 times)
Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 9:17pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Great bio of Katherine Stinson.   Good job.  -Skye

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:18pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

A couple of more facts about Katherine Stinson.  During WW1 there was a moratorium on flying in the United States, but Katherine Stinson was still allowed to fly all over the US raising funds for the war effort.
Also, in WW1, Canada was still part of the British Empire, and Canadian pilots were trained to fly for the British forces. The Canadian men were trained in the US by a young woman named Katherine Stinson ...

DISCLAIMER - The pics in the above story were gleaned from the internet by me, and are not from "Gary's Archives".

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:06am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

REMEMBERING KATHERINE STINSON She was the first woman to fly air mail in the US, and in Canada, she was the first person, man or woman, to deliver mail between Calgary and Edmonton. She set many records - Dec 11, 1917 she flew 610 miles non-stop from San Diego to San Francisco in a record 9 hrs and 10 min. She was always a supporter of the Women's Suffragette movement and equal rights for women. In 1917 she became a Red Cross Ambulance Driver in Europe, where she contracted Influenza in the waning months of WW1, which later turned into Tuberculosis in 1920 and she had to enter a Sanitarium. This also ended her glorious, short-lived flying career, as she was too frail to fly anymore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RL4Gu07J4 ;
Katherine Stinson - "The Flying Schoolgirl"
Katherine Stinson - arguably the greatest female aviator.

KS_4.jpg (268 KB | 9 )
KS_4.jpg
KS_8.jpg (8 KB | 16 )
KS_8.jpg
KS_17.jpg (29 KB | 17 )
KS_17.jpg
KS_15.jpg (42 KB | 12 )
KS_15.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:03am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

REMEMBERING KATHERINE STINSON During WW1, she flew a Curtiss JN-4D for the American Red Cross, having been twice refused as a fighter pilot. In June 1916, she also flew into Western Canada at Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. She took a boat with her plane to the big cities in Japan and China to fly exhibitions and raise money for the Red Cross. In April 1917, the US entered the war, and she returned to the US with over $2,000,000 in charitable donations for the Red Cross. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RL4Gu07J4

KS_16_001.jpg (33 KB | 10 )
KS_16_001.jpg
KS_6.jpg (14 KB | 12 )
KS_6.jpg
KS_10.jpg (59 KB | 11 )
KS_10.jpg
KS_11.jpg (138 KB | 12 )
KS_11.jpg
KS_12.jpg (136 KB | 13 )
KS_12.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:00am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

REMEMBERING KATHERINE STINSON She was the 4th woman in the US to obtain a Pilot's Certificate on July 24, 1912 at age 21. By 1913, at age 22, she flew a Wright Model B Flyer on Exhibitions Circuits, billing herself as the "Flying Schoolgirl". All of her stunt flying was done in A/C using the Wright control system, which uses two side mounted levers for pitch and roll, and top mounted controls for throttle and yaw. By 1914 she was flying all over the US. On July 18, 1915 she was the first woman to perform a "LOOP" in an early "Laird" biplane. She was also the first woman to fly at night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RL4Gu07J4

KS_19.jpg (106 KB | 11 )
KS_19.jpg
KS_1.jpg (23 KB | 12 )
KS_1.jpg
KS_14.jpg (26 KB | 9 )
KS_14.jpg
KS_9.jpg (59 KB | 14 )
KS_9.jpg
KS_16.jpg (33 KB | 9 )
KS_16.jpg

IP Logged

Jul 1st, 2017 at 10:54am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

REMEMBERING KATHERINE STINSON Feb 14, 1891 - July 8, 1977 died at age 86. She was a Pioneer Aviatrix and Stunt Flyer, who, by the end of 1915 at age 24, had become a national flying sensation. Her flying inspired her younger brothers to form the Stinson Aircraft Company. She first became interested in flying when she took her first ride in 1912 from Jimmy Ward. She took flying lessons at the Wright Flying School and soloed after 4 hrs of instruction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RL4Gu07J4 12 min video of the Stinson family

KS_13.jpg (12 KB | 10 )
KS_13.jpg
FLYING_SCHOOLGIRL.jpg (133 KB | 13 )
FLYING_SCHOOLGIRL.jpg
KS_18.jpg (29 KB | 17 )
KS_18.jpg
KS_2.jpg (167 KB | 11 )
KS_2.jpg
KS_3.jpg (65 KB | 11 )
KS_3.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print