Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
next build : Grumman G44 Widgeon - Dumas (Read 1474 times)
Reply #42 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 4:48am

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I really like the way you're doing the transition from the rear fuselage to the vertical tail. There are so many aircraft where this area is an integral part of the "look" that is commonly let down by the plans or the kit. Getting it right, in my mind, is one of the best things you can do to achieve a scale appearance. You're getting it right!

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 1:00am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

here's the tail fin area filler as I applied it to establish the ramping effect at the rear fuselage..very heavy
obviously for a flying model this is not happening...but for scale appearance it was a must. Also to strengthen the vertical tail to fuselage joint - this is quite strong now

5VVXodk.jpg (42 KB | 1 )
5VVXodk.jpg
yjHE4xM.jpg (46 KB | 0 )
yjHE4xM.jpg

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:56am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

these Dumas kits really fall together..very well engineered. I had to use filler to get the tail fin area 'ramped' as per the prototype...Also the float strut material is vinyl strip stock which is great for a flying model because it flexes a bit but it isn't a great look for a scale model. I wont change it here because this model will be handled a bit enthusiastically shall we say...but on a detailed desktop model I would change to aluminum bar stock probably.

I'm also really happy with the wing and nacelles as they were designed for this kit. Very clean fitting vacuformed parts and the wing is quite strong. I would love to see someone build this model as a flyer...see what it can do as it was designed.

If you want a nice flying boat, especially a rare twin! this is the right kit to buy.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 12:46am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I hope so. She helped sand the fuselage a bit today. So full of questions.
I have completed the floats - they will be painted before attachment. Looks like the wing will also be attached after the paint is applied.

Still laying on the sealer coats and light sanding for overall effect.

This is my favorite part of the build. All of the major components are essentially done, I just have to figure out the assembly and paint process...

af17Mm5.jpg (49 KB | 1 )
af17Mm5.jpg
W2M5A54.jpg (41 KB | 2 )
W2M5A54.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:29am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking fantastic!  Keep up the great work.  Looks like it will be strong enough for your muchkin! Wink Cool

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 12:52am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

wing and nacelles are infilled and now mated..
And just a quick look at the airplane assembly - still have to do a rudimentary interior and apply more filler before the final assembly is undertaken.

vccVgxU.jpg (56 KB | 2 )
vccVgxU.jpg
Gz2GU2L.jpg (37 KB | 2 )
Gz2GU2L.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:39pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

the wing is laid up as are both nacelles - again this is a very well engineered kit.
There are only a couple of typo's in the instructions but they could cause a bit of grief so if you are thinking of building this kit just take the time to go over the plan sheet with the assembly directions very carefully.

I made one unforced error but I'm not telling you what it is. When I post the final shots of the build I'm sure many of you will see it pretty quick. It's not a small deal but the little one for whom I am building this airplane wont notice or care. lol - it's pretty funny actually..

pBuocaO.jpg (82 KB | 2 )
pBuocaO.jpg
PE2VH7F.jpg (90 KB | 2 )
PE2VH7F.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:33pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

back on the Widgeon after a day or two of interruptions..
the fuselage is filled in and sanded - one coat of sealer has been applied..
I am going to add a pilot figure and put a seat and panel in the cockpit but that is the extent of the interior work on this one.
I have ordered another one from Dumas that I plan on doing much more extensive work on.

This kit has terrific bones and should produce a nice display model without too much extra curricular activity.

1LGUhuk.jpg (61 KB | 5 )
1LGUhuk.jpg
9zQCKJY.jpg (75 KB | 2 )
9zQCKJY.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 10:15pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Grumman Goose photos I found with the "goose" logo
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jul 11th, 2017 at 9:22pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

OH! You guys are killing me with these great photos. Cheesy

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 12:10am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

yes - there are a handful of differences - but that said this kit could be adjusted without too much difficulty to produce a Goose.

Food for thought

Sky9 the markings included with this Dumas kit are for the Coast Guard V203 in your most recent pictures posted below.
Very nice peel and stick decals too..

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 5:32pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Another tell tail is the windscreens the Widgeon is wrap around where the G-21a Goose has the split windscreens with the rounded tops.
An exception is the turboprop Goose with a modified wrap around windscreen. 

Another difference is the shape of the vertical tail surfaces...Widgeon is squared off and the Goose is rounded.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 9:50am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

It is a Widgeon that has had its Ranger engines replaced with radials - a common modification as the Rangers were weaker and much less reliable. It is also harder to find replacement parts for those Rangers...
The Goose is almost identical but is about 15-20% larger than the smaller Widgeon.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 1:41am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

I believe that pink "Widgeon" is actually a Goose.  Only saying this because of the radial engines as opposed to the inlines.  Am I right?

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 11:48pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

some of the infill is done - just checking the fit of the cockpit roof and windscreen part after I trimmed it up. Looks like a good fit. It is of course wrapped inside and out with the Dumas peel coat. The kit includes a template to cut out the tape masks for the windscreen and the two side windows. The Widgeon has four additional cabin windows with two on each side aft of the cockpit side windows. Dumas includes decals to simulate those windows which I will use on this kit. On the next build I will cut them out instead and detail the cabin.

0ZT6V0e.jpg (73 KB | 3 )
0ZT6V0e.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print