Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peck-Polymers Druine Turbulent Kit (Read 272 times)
Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:38am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thank you, Ian.  After all was said and done I decided to give the Turb an overall coat of matte finish...last time I'll use that overcoat...for the second time I've gotten a dusty looking finish.  Before...everything was nice and bright!  Sad

Had to come up with something different for a civil registration number. G-WIZZ just about sums up this little airplane.  Out in the backyard I put about 50 turns on the prop and she "motored" out about a hundred feet...even in a slightly tail-heavy condition.  So...just a tad bit of weight up front and she'll be winging away.  Need a bigger flying field though.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 12:41am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Cute plane. Nicely finished. I like the Reg letters.  Smiley
ian

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

This is as far as I'm going to take this build.  Did a little test flight out in my half-acre back yard...and though she's a bit tail-heavy still...lots of promise.

This is a nice little kit...at $5.95. Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 10:14pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Still workin' on it....

Say...Loved what LRF had to say about Guillow's 5"dia props...and then backed it up with his flight videos.  Pretty nice.... Wink

"Please forgive me writing here in this post, but Bob was about to build this peanut hawker hurricane by John Berryman so I thought I could paste some flights for the inspiration Smiley I did not feel like carving a prop for this one, so I used red guillow prop 5"D. Some people say its a very low quality propeller, but actually its not truth. I like to use them on the peanuts if I dont have or dont want to use a balsa prop." LRF

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 8:59am

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

You could make up a beam balance out of scrap similar to the one Bill Gowan (Olbill) uses in this link, reply #5:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=2392.msg19504#msg1...

or check out Fleabay for a small digital scale that weighs to two decimal places (grams).  They are not expensive (generally < 30 USD) and the accuracy is close enough for most of our needs.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:39am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Nice job...love the built up stab!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 10:30pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ok...got some wings done.  The kit uses a 1/16" sheet balsa horz stab/elevator...but I just couldn't resist building one.  I wonder what the weight difference will be (don't have a scale)?  Looks nicer...I think...rather have a tissue-covered unit than a board. Wink

The nose plug is removable...of course...and the motor peg is aluminum tube...as opposed to using a straight pin, called for on the plans.

She's cute...isn't she...a little sweetie.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 4:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Know what you mean about lightness, Pete...and I tend to over-build all my models.  The part that really got my attention was the 1/16" sheet horizontal stab/elevators.  That's gonna add lots of weight.  On the other hand.... Grin...maybe with all the glue, etc. that I'd use for a built-up structure, it'd weigh the same anyway.  PP calls this their "sheet series" for quick construction...and ol' Bill Hannan couldn't have been that far off...could he? Roll Eyes  We'll see.

Your Ganagobie looks like a real alignment challenge...and it appears you've done well.  Hang in there, Pete...there's no hurry...do what you can, when you can.  Meanwhile, I'll keep you company, if I may?  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 3:11pm

staubkorb   Offline
Stick & Tissue
Germany

Too bad I saw this after you got the fuselage built Grin.  The trick with P'nut models is added lightness - tho I've seen vids of the Peck one built stock fly quite nicely.  I'da used the cut-away from the three-view to further lighten it Wink.

You'll probably have yours finished way before I get the Ganagobie done... I'm only able to get one piece per day glued.  Everything is 1/20th sq and 1/32nd sheet.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:23pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Tinkering away with the fuselage...very easy build but requiring tweezers and avoidance of the "clutching hand."  Don't know how light things are, but takes about 3 minutes to reach the floor when I drop it.

So here be the little creature to date...like a fish on the sand.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 5:56pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks like fun!!! Getting the popcorn and soda  to follow along!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Jul 9th, 2017 at 1:32pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thought I'd join you Pete, with a PeckP build...Peck-Polymers Druine D-31 Turbulent.  Cute little peanut scale kit that I've had sitting on the shelf amongst all my other un-built stock for years (witness the price tag on the box of $5.95...now retails for a hefty $22.50 at the online Peck-Polymers website!).  If purchased new today, you get the wood, paper, and celluloid all laser-cut...wow!  Please, pass me the blade and scissors.  Smiley  Kit design was by Bill Hannan. Smiley

Full-sized Druine Turbulent is of French design, but seems to have gained its greatest popularity in the UK.  First flown during the 1950's.  Design is of the ultalight homebuilt type and utilizes a VW engine of 1200-1500cc as its powerplant.  It has a 21' ws...and that is pretty small.  Overall construction is of wood.  Handling is reported to be "delightful...with light controls."  The Brits are into "clubs" and so it is with their Turbs.  We've all seen photos of quarter scale RC ships with someone's toddler next to it...that's about what a Turb looks like...only with an adult pilot.  Grin

Kit uses 1/32" balsa sides, bulkheads, and wing ribs...with a sprinkling of 1/16" stringers and even some 3/16" for nose plug and detail parts.  Horizontal stab/elevators is sheet 1/16" and vertical stab/rudder is 1/32" sheet balsa. Kit provides lightweight plastic wheels and lg wire.  All in all, looks like there's plenty of opportunity for these old hands to mess things up. Wink

Ok...breathe deep...the gathering gloom....

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print