Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Diels F7F Build - My First Twin (Read 10490 times)
Reply #169 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 10:04pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  I can't take credit for any of the techniques here - I'm just trying things I've read in magazines, books and forums.  I do like the tissue strip trimming! 

After the first coat of dope dried, I added the black strips separating the colors on the wing.  This went very quickly - less than an hour to do both wings top and bottom.  Since the leading edge is perpendicular to the colors I used a single strip for each fore-aft line, wrapping it around the LE.  This nicely hid the slight misalignment of the silver/red/white transitions between the top and bottom tissue.  The second coat of dope is now on and the trim is on for good.

I also covered the stab today.  Before covering I added a 3/32" thick half rib to the top root of each stab panel, then carved and sanded it so the stab fits neatly against the curve at the base of the fin.  There's still some clearance on the underside to allow the stab angle to be adjusted.  I should have added a gusset at the junction between the TE and the stab root rib - that bit me as the tissue pulled the rib in a bit resulting in some wrinkles at that corner.  Given that there's only a week till leaving for WestFAC I'm going to live with it for now...

IP Logged

Reply #168 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 9:58am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Trim strips with black tissue - thank you for the idea. Was wondering how I was going to outline the scallops on my Gee Bee when the day comes. Was considering automobile trim tape to outline then spray the trim in black but this is a far bettor idea. Thanks again.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #167 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:29pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Wow!  Mike!  does that style of tissue trimming
ever really accent
that long
sleek
fuse !!  Fantastic!!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #166 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:14pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike...you just keep shinning!  Wonderful skill in tissuing this bird! Just keeps getting better and better every installment!  Keep up the great work!
Gentle breezes!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #165 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:12pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks Craig - this is the first time I've attempted this style of tissue trimming.  There's lots of room for improvement, but other than being tedious it was easier than I thought it would be.  I'm certainly not unhappy with how it's turning out!

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #164 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Manoman, that is beautiful craftsmanship. I can't wait to get the decks cleared enough to get back to building!

IP Logged

Reply #163 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 5:05pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Finished covering the fuselage yesterday and tackled the trim today.  Everything so far is all tissue.  The black trim is sliced from Peck domestic tissue using a scaled image of a decal sheet as the pattern - this worked quite well.  The sizing isn't exact, but it is close enough that the cut pieces can be applied without having to significantly stretch the tissue (which is good because domestic tissue doesn't stretch well, especially in 3/32"-wide strips).  To apply the trim, I place it on scrap paper, rub gently with glue stick, lift it off, let it dry just a little, place it into position, then run over it lightly with a q-tip slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol.  Ends get trimmed with scissors or a knife.  It's nice and dry here this afternoon, so now out to the garage for the first coat of dope.

IP Logged

Reply #162 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike - I concur with Tom - I also now build them to fly ... or attempt   Lips Sealed   to fly them    Cheesy    I get more of a kick out of actually flying them    Cool
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #161 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:02pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, patches are war ribbons earned in flight.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #160 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Absolutely Mike...as the CnC of FAC says, "Enjoy the build, wonder at the flight!" Wink Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #159 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 2:17pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks Tom - I've got Vance's and Josh Finn's FAC documentation guides and will use them next week to build the folders.

Fortunately I've found about 3 dozen decent pictures of this aircraft in the configuration I'm modeling, and the panel lines are taken from the Squadron 3-view so I should be able to justify the look of the plane. 

Regardless, I figure just build it to satisfy myself and show what I've done.  Chances are good that there will be patches and flight rash by the end of the meet anyway - we build them to fly, right?

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #158 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:57am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
Just make sure your documentation shows all the lines you're including on you model for competition. Can't remember just where I heard that, might have been on SFA before the rebuild.  I'll try to dig up the research for building documentation for competition.
Found something here: Vance Gilbert's FAC Scale Documentation Guide

I've just consolidated some of these articles under the FAC board for easier access: FAC Documentation Guides
These are accurate for WestFAC also.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #157 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:58am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Mike - Thank you again for the fantastic tutorial and another truly great model. You should not have any problems at West FAC. Looking forward to your next project.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #156 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:15pm

MKelly   Online
Helotes, TX

Thanks LWM - chalking really does a lot for white tissue.  Got the wing bottom side covered today. 

I noticed in pictures of the underside of the original that the aileron and outer flap hinges were very prominent, but they weren't included on the drawing I was using to locate panel lines.  I took some rough measurements from an underside plan view photo, made a quick template from a 3x5 card and drew them on.

I shrank the left and right panels sequentially, clamping each one on the magnet board during drying to (hopefully) preclude warps and set in about 1/8" washout.  Everything shrank up nicely.  I did however manage to push a small tear in an aileron while clamping down the wet wing - fortunately a small patch hid my misdeed.

Next I cut out and sealed the edges of the oil cooler exhaust vents and used black tissue and a Prismacolor black pencil to black out the carb and oil cooler air inlets on the leading edge.

A couple coats of dope and some 3/32 wide black tissue strips to separate the colors and the wing will be done!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #155 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 10:28pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike - your chalked white tissue looks
really
sharp.  I now look at all my white tissue on my old models, and all I see now is a "tone" of white (tone = color plus gray), so all I see is a light grayish shade of white on my models, and not pure white.  Your chalked white tissue is
VIBRANT
, and you can still see the framework underneath, which is what I like !!
     You are getting me all excited about your trip to West FAC -    Cheesy   I hope the F7F Tigercat flies really well.  I know you will knock them out with this model   Smiley  .  The Tigercat just seems to be on all of those lists of the most beautiful planes ever built - I just checked my old list I made from the web way back, and there it was ...  Great pics and great tutorial!
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Send Topic Print