Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Diels F7F Build - My First Twin (Read 5625 times)
Reply #162 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 6:58pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike - I concur with Tom - I also now build them to fly ... or attempt   Lips Sealed   to fly them    Cheesy    I get more of a kick out of actually flying them    Cool
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #161 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:02pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, patches are war ribbons earned in flight.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #160 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Absolutely Mike...as the CnC of FAC says, "Enjoy the build, wonder at the flight!" Wink Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #159 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 2:17pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks Tom - I've got Vance's and Josh Finn's FAC documentation guides and will use them next week to build the folders.

Fortunately I've found about 3 dozen decent pictures of this aircraft in the configuration I'm modeling, and the panel lines are taken from the Squadron 3-view so I should be able to justify the look of the plane. 

Regardless, I figure just build it to satisfy myself and show what I've done.  Chances are good that there will be patches and flight rash by the end of the meet anyway - we build them to fly, right?

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #158 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 10:57am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
Just make sure your documentation shows all the lines you're including on you model for competition. Can't remember just where I heard that, might have been on SFA before the rebuild.  I'll try to dig up the research for building documentation for competition.
Found something here: Vance Gilbert's FAC Scale Documentation Guide

I've just consolidated some of these articles under the FAC board for easier access: FAC Documentation Guides
These are accurate for WestFAC also.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #157 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:58am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Mike - Thank you again for the fantastic tutorial and another truly great model. You should not have any problems at West FAC. Looking forward to your next project.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #156 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:15pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks LWM - chalking really does a lot for white tissue.  Got the wing bottom side covered today. 

I noticed in pictures of the underside of the original that the aileron and outer flap hinges were very prominent, but they weren't included on the drawing I was using to locate panel lines.  I took some rough measurements from an underside plan view photo, made a quick template from a 3x5 card and drew them on.

I shrank the left and right panels sequentially, clamping each one on the magnet board during drying to (hopefully) preclude warps and set in about 1/8" washout.  Everything shrank up nicely.  I did however manage to push a small tear in an aileron while clamping down the wet wing - fortunately a small patch hid my misdeed.

Next I cut out and sealed the edges of the oil cooler exhaust vents and used black tissue and a Prismacolor black pencil to black out the carb and oil cooler air inlets on the leading edge.

A couple coats of dope and some 3/32 wide black tissue strips to separate the colors and the wing will be done!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #155 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 10:28pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Mike - your chalked white tissue looks
really
sharp.  I now look at all my white tissue on my old models, and all I see now is a "tone" of white (tone = color plus gray), so all I see is a light grayish shade of white on my models, and not pure white.  Your chalked white tissue is
VIBRANT
, and you can still see the framework underneath, which is what I like !!
     You are getting me all excited about your trip to West FAC -    Cheesy   I hope the F7F Tigercat flies really well.  I know you will knock them out with this model   Smiley  .  The Tigercat just seems to be on all of those lists of the most beautiful planes ever built - I just checked my old list I made from the web way back, and there it was ...  Great pics and great tutorial!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #154 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 4:26pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks again.  Worked on the wing covering today - got the topside tissue on.

I used a Prismacolor pencil to draw the control surfaces and panel lines on the tissue, then chalked the white areas.  You can see in the pictures how much difference the chalk makes for the white panels.

Next I put silver and black tissue inside the oil cooler vents so all I'll have to do once the wing is covered is cut out the vent area and seal the edges.  To help with aligning the panels on the wings I drew in the wing centerline and some reference marks for the TE, then creased the tissue along the TE.  Once the glue stick was applied and the tissue dampened, all I had to do was align the centerline and the crease to get the tissue right where I wanted it on the wing.

I pulled it mostly tight during initial application, but there are a few orange-peel areas that should come out when covering is completed and I do the final shrink on the wing. 

10 days till we roll out for WestFAC...

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #153 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:58pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike, I like the spliced tissue work and the F7F is shaping up very nice.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #152 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:30pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Wow Mike, does that
ever
look nice ...   Smiley
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #151 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 5:03pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

I carved out the tailhook well, then got started covering the rear fuselage.  I spliced together silver and red for the aft fuselage transition, then covered both sides of the fin while the doped splice dried. Followed that by applying the spliced tissue and trimming/sealing the joints.

I'll pause on the fuselage here until I've got the wing covered and can test fit it, just in case I need a little additional clearance to get the covered wing into the fuselage.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #150 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:26am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

You have brought this along very nicely. This one sure has some great curves. It looks like the original has some nice built-in downthrust as well.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #149 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:14am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  Yesterday I took a break from applying tissue and made up some markings for the model in PowerPoint.  The lettering is done using free USAF fonts downloaded from the Volare Products website, and using PowerPoint's text shadow function.  The "2" in the font was a slightly different style than the aircraft so I overlaid white, black and red boxes to change the middle of the character to the diagonal style used on the original aircraft.

The TBM Inc markings are scaled up from a jpg of a decal sheet found online, and the Pratt & Whitney logos are from online graphics, with the eagle mirrored on one so that the beak will face forward on both nacelles.

IP Logged

Reply #148 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:28am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Impeccable
build Mike!!   Smiley  The white "chalking" of the tissue   Shocked   is very effective!  I must try that (I had never heard of that before  Undecided ). Thanks for the
IMPRESSIVE
pics!   Smiley 
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print