Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Diels F7F Build - My First Twin (Read 3504 times)
Reply #86 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 8:45am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Made a profile sander for the cowls (see picture) and contoured the front of the nacelles today

This is definitely going to be added to my Gee Bee (and other Golden Age Racers) tool box. Thanks Mike
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #85 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:53pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

LWM, you've got it.  The black area is 400-grit sandpaper.

IP Logged

Reply #84 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:03pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

So mike,  that round plug is glued to the thick template of the profile sander, and that round plug spins inside the nose, and the sandpaper is on that black area only on the inside of the template?  Is that black area actually black-colored sandpaper?  The nacelles do look very smooth and even ...  Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #83 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 10:25pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Made a profile sander for the cowls (see picture) and contoured the front of the nacelles today.  This method was recommended to me during my Waco build and works very well for circular cowls.

I use a sanding stick to rough in the shape (checking periodically using the profile sander as a template).  Once the shape is close the sander is inserted in the cowl opening and rotated to fine-tune the contour. 

I've got it pretty close - time to sleep on it and check it again in the morning.

IP Logged

Reply #82 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:30am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

AHH! Cheesy Come on Mike your killing me with your beautiful build and these photos are just too tempting, but with all that is going on at the moment I
cannot
start an
F7F
Grin

Keep up the good work and please keep posting those photos.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #81 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:01pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

SUPER PICS GUYS !!
   It's great when you guys post the
best
pics! Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #80 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

There's always "40", but "32" does have some different schemes:
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #79 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:55am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks guys.  Lots of minor woodwork left to do. 

Color scheme is picked - TBM's firebomber #62, as flown without the retardant tank at Reno and other airshows in the late 1970s.  I also really like the yellow and black Sis-Q tanker E-32, but I haven't found any pics of it flying without the retardant tank.  #62 should be challenge enough...

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #78 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 11:04am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

It does look awful pretty just standing there, doesn't it. Now you get to pick a colour scheme.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #77 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 9:15am

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

That is
really
impressive Mike !! 
LWM

IP Logged

Reply #76 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 9:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW...just send her right over here.  Great job and good looking set of bones.  Almost a shame to cover all that craftsmanship!!!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #75 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:27pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Yesterday I glued the wing panels together, and this morning I installed the center braces.  I used a soldering iron on low heat to bend the braces where they cross the wing center - doing these as single pieces should strengthen the joint.  The forward top two braces didn't line up perfectly with the formers, so I made them 7/32" wide (instead of 1/8") and for the forward one glued it flush to the forward spar for a little more strength.

Next I trial fit the wing with the braces installed - all the formers are nice and tight on the braces, and the wing sits level.  Next step will be to decide how I want to infill around the wing (hopefully so that it both looks good and still allows me to slide the wing in cleanly after covering...).

Couldn't resist sliding in the stab and clipping on the nacelles for some mockup bones photos.

IP Logged

Reply #74 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:19pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

The plan uses split ribs for the fin and stab.  These overlap the leading edge, forming a symmetrical airfoil.  When covering surfaces like this on other models, the leading edge of the ribs really stand out through the covering.  To minimize this and make a smoother-looking fin, I infilled between the ribs with the lightest sheet I could find, then sanded that down to make a smooth and tapered leading edge.  Should be easier to cover, and look better.  I also glued on the small strake that runs along the top of the fuselage (this was added to the plane during testing to improve single-engine controllability).

IP Logged

Reply #73 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:43pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Good idea - I've done that on removable noseblocks for durability, and it definitely does help keep from sanding too far.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #72 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:29pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I usually make a plywood former from 1/32 or 1/64 and glue that to the fuselage. This keeps me from sanding too much off the fuselage while sanding the nose block.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print