Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beginner Tissue Cover question (Read 326 times)
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 4:14pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Mike, the alcohol made here in Podunkville is probably the best there is but if you have never had any experiences with it, I suggest you leave it be, it can hurt you.  plain old alcohol from the dollar store works just fine.

You can solve ANY flight problem with the correct load in your Mossberg.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 3:29pm

mike116   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Appreciate the help everyone.  Thanks!

Mangledmess - you mentioned a 50/50 split alcohol/water.  Any specific alcohol (rubbing alcohol...a good scotch...)?

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 3:28pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
Sometimes wrinkles can be cause by the grain of the tissue running the wrong direction (as verses usual direction). 

The accepted standard is grain runs span wise on the wing.  For the fuselage some use grain running from the nose to the tail.  On some very round fuselages the grain is applied running vertical (dorsal to ventral) to shrink tightly over the stringers rather than dropping between the stringers as it shrinks.  The horizontal stab is similar to the wing with the grain running span wise.   The vertical stab the grain runs vertical.  (There are modelers that will take exception to these standards, having found what works for them and their building style)

To determine grain you can tear the tissue at the corner.  Tears are straight with the grain or ragged across the grain.  You can mark this with a penciled arrow if you can't remember the direction.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 2:36pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

Mike, I am no expert and I am just a beginner like you.  I am in the middle of my 4th build but I can say I have not had any kind of luck with the kit tissue.  I picked up some tissue from Easy Built and some from Peck and found it much nicer to work with.  I have been told that tissue is an "Art" and I do believe that.  I use a 50/50 water alcohol mix to shrink and it has worked well for me.  These guys on this site have some wonderful tips and have helped me a great deal.  Keep working at it and it gets a little easier each time.  The newer kit tissue may be ok but the kits I have built have all been old and the tissue was really hard to work with.  I could get it to shrink very little.  Listen to these guys and they will help you.    Good luck and happy flying.

You can solve ANY flight problem with the correct load in your Mossberg.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 12:25pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Mike,
There's a lot of good info Bob gave you access to.  Without a picture of the wing...not sure what you're dealing with.  So options are really unclear without more information. 
Please check out this site for more info on various details of building and finishing model. 
Here's a link to our Board on "Tissue and Finish" Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2017 at 11:26am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Mike you will get help from other members here that will answer your questions, but I thought this video may give you some what you were looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=covering+balsa+with+tissue

BTW, there are other videos on this page also.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Jul 13th, 2017 at 10:36am

mike116   Offline

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I am in the process of finally finishing my 1st S & T plane, an old Guillow's Javelin.

The tissue didn't come out as taught as I had hoped on the wing and the Stab.  So I have Two questions -

1) Is there any post tissue covering fix that I can try?  (I've used just a spray bottle with water at the moment)

2) Or do I leave as is or tear it all off and try again?

Not sure what I should have done better to get it more taught in those areas.  It came out pretty well on the Fin and Fuselage but the wing/stab had portions where the tissue is loose.

Thanks!

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print