Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
BROKEN WING - Sig "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan (Read 1443 times)
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:32pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I decided to glue the stringer spars on the Outer Panel first, extra long, cut them to shape, and slide them into the wing root with the wing root securely clamped down on a jig setup on the building board.
I started on the Outer Panel first.  Here is how I glued the extra long 1/16" sq balsa Spar stringers in place, after making the notching holes.

5307 & 5308   - First I clamped down the Outer Wing Panel, lined up the four extra long Spar stringers, and got some small balsa bracing planks ready.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 1:22pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

WING ROOT

There were also notches cut into the wing root base outer rib to accept the new stringers.

5339  - This pic shows the four notch holes in the outer wing root rib

5342  - This is a closer view

5347  - These are the notching tools I used to "sand in" cut out the notch holes for the stringers.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 1:13pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The wing was designed with 1/16" sq balsa Spar stringers. Some pieces of the Spar stringers were missing after the crash, and so was a 1/2" piece of Trailing Edge (TE), that I later found in the garbage with the tissue.   My plan was to "sandwich" the bottom rib "middle" Spar, on both sides, with two pieces of 1/16"sq balsa stringer, and the Spar in the top of the rib with one piece of stringer glued right along beside it, and the Leading Edge (LE) with one piece of stringer on the rear of the LE, and eventually, one stringer along the front of the Trailing Edge (TE). These stringers had to go through the ribs, so I had to cut notches in the ribs so that the stringers could go through.

OUTER WING SECTION

5336  - These are the four stringers cut extra long and glued in place - I forgot to take a pic of the notches in the ribs before I glued them, but you can see where the stringers go through.

5346  - This is a closer view.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:30pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

The ribs are not damaged.  The first bay from the center wing section is OK.
I'm thinking of getting out the 1/16" sq notch sander, and adding some strong stringers ( from an old Guillow's kit ),  glued parallel with and to, the surviving stringers, from rib to rib, and extending through the ribs.  Maybe butt up the leading edge where it cracked off.   Add a chunk of trailing edge that broke off, with more stringers attached to it ...    Roll Eyes
LWM

IP Logged

Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:25pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Well, I just smashed up my 22" Sig Cabinaire - BROKE THE LEFT WING !!    Cry   That is what I  get for flying in strong winds and too many winds!    Lips Sealed
     Since I don't have another plane to fly, I think I must try to repair this one now ...     Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print