Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sterling P-47 Decal Issue (Read 368 times)
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:13pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

Good call. I scanned them at 600dpi to keep the resolution. The plans I've downloaded and are on this and a few other sites so I'm not to worried about them.
Thanks Ian.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:44pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Mike
Before you apply the decals, you might want to make a scan of them for your archives. If you want to build, or repair, you will have a model that you can print on tissue and apply, or print on a decal transfer sheet to apply. The same goes for the plans.

ian

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:01pm

yotabota   Offline
have to mature
Sooke BC

Well it's done.The decals are good,  Smileythe catalog sheet as suspected didn't make it thru the procedure Sad. The paper wasn't attached to the decals themselves so a bit of water on the paper and it come of fairly easy. Now I just need to rebuild the Jug to put the decals on, another roundtuit project.
Thanks again for the input.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 11:35am

yotabota   Offline
have to mature
Sooke BC

Morning,
I gave the steam a try but it wetted an area to big to work with even with a small mouth kettle. So I think I'm back to just water, a qtip and a guitar pick. The pick seems to work well having a pointy end and a large radius end to scrape with. I also noticed that the catalogue paper seems to be stuck mostly to the paper between the decals and not the decals themselves.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 5:05pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Maybe try steaming the catalog paper off?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 11:50am

yotabota   Offline
have to mature
Sooke BC

Morning all,
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a picture of what I'm up against. As per PB's suggestion, I tried to soften a small area of the paper with water and that softened the paper but I still had to gently massage (scrape) the paper off the decal. I think I'll be able to save the decal but the paper,,,,, not so much. And of course the FF models are on the side of the paper that is stuck to the decal but the decal is the important part for me.

01131302.PDF (347 KB | 21 )
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 9:45pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I've not had much luck with that situation either.  When I tried to do this back in my plastic modeling days (shortly after Columbus landed) I soaked the back of the paper stuck to the decal sheet.  When the decal loosened I removed it and placed it on a sheet of wax paper very carefully to keep it from tearing.  I was able to separate the paper from the back of the decal sheet but not able to save all the printing on the paper stuck on the decal sheet.  You'll have to soak the wax paper and decal to remove it but it won't stick as it would initially.  Probably have to use something like Solvaset or diluted white glue to get it to adhere to the model. 

As PB said wet only the stuck area of the catalog.  Good luck!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:34pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I have no idea whatsoever as to what to do. I have never run across the problem  myself. I assume that the catalog sheet has somehow "glued" itself to the non-sticky part of the decal sheet. If you were willing to lose the paper, it might come loose if you soaked the paper attached to the decal with a damp rag, only at the point of adhesion, but then you would probably have to apply the decal  as soon as you got it loose, and there would be no guarantee that you wouldn't tear the decal during the separation process.
  I wish you the best of success with it.

ian

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 7:22pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I would first spray the decal sheet with some decal coating or hair spray then try to separate.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Jul 28th, 2017 at 11:26pm

yotabota   Offline
have to mature
Sooke BC

My new to me P-47 has the original decal sheet. The problem is that at some point moisture has adhered the decal sheet to the catalog sheet.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to separate the two sheets and save them both.
I'm thinking of trying steam and hope the decals stay intact.
Any other ideas?
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print