Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Dumas kit # 301 Stinson Reliant Sr10 (Read 2112 times)
Reply #41 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:23pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Sky9pilot wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Looks great.  I've always loved the Stinson.  It's on my "To Do" list and hopefully will be built some day.
Keep up the great work! Smiley
Tom

Thank you, Tom
There is a beautiful model of an SR-8 at the San Diego Aerospace Museum with about a 38" wingspan that is just gorgeous. Ever since I saw it I have been interested in the Stinson brand and the series of Reliant aircraft they built.

This will be my third attempt to recreate a Stinson Reliant and the first on floats. The other two were done many years ago and do not survive.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:12pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I guess you can see that the wing center section has been infilled and the outer wing panels attached to it..also the floats have been laid up.
As soon as I finish the wing I can begin on the tail surfaces - then the floats can be finished up.
Once I have all that done I can start on the float struts.

It's funny how tricky all of these kits have been in some aspects. I guess the Guillows Cessna 170 was pretty straightforward...but all the others had these deceptively complex little situations that had to be worked out.

The tricks here so far are getting these wings set up (still in progress)
The floats situated squarely (not started)
These main gear supports carved and installed (in progress)
The windscreen pilasters and glazing installed correctly (not started)
The interior reasonably detailed (in progress)
The engine cowling and engine installed correctly using the kit plans and materials augmented slightly..(in progress)

The real adventure will be these floats and struts I think...the geometry is different from what I had with the Guillows Beaver kit. I HAVE to get it right.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looks great.  I've always loved the Stinson.  It's on my "To Do" list and hopefully will be built some day.
Keep up the great work! Smiley
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:58pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

the main gear supports are sanded, filled and attached to the fuselage. The float and wing struts are anchored to these 'stubs' on the actual aircraft so I made these from solid balsa block material. It was tricky but I think I have them shaped and positioned ok. Some final sanding and sealing will be done yet...

Ib6Ks24.jpg (72 KB | 1 )
Ib6Ks24.jpg
YxpbTzu.jpg (80 KB | 1 )
YxpbTzu.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:53pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

alright  - while Nigel has been sleeping some work has been done on the Stinson..

thEk2Si.jpg (84 KB | 3 )
thEk2Si.jpg
XgcXyJO.jpg (82 KB | 2 )
XgcXyJO.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:28pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

lol - Nigel Caruthers..? that's not too specific is it then...

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Mangledmess   Offline
I Gloo this to what???
Podunkville USA

He looks just fine to me. He should have a pack of Lucky's tucked under one sleeve and his name should be Nigel Caruthers.

You can solve ANY flight problem with the correct load in your Mossberg.
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:24pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

intrepid aviator..looks a little crude up close but through the acetate in the buttoned up cabin probably ok...hopefully he can wake up before the flight

FYGBpas.jpg (68 KB | 5 )
FYGBpas.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:20pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

love those carved figures! - amazing finesse

Here is a small update on the panel

7Px1D4Z.jpg (90 KB | 6 )
7Px1D4Z.jpg
9PaQl1g.jpg (65 KB | 7 )
9PaQl1g.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 3:11pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Check out this flying family a fellow from the UK made for his electric indoor Piper Tri-Pacer. Found on HPA.

Made from white foam.  Amazing. Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 1:16pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Sounds like you've got a well thought out plan for the interior.  With Huey as mentor/observer, you'll have a winner.  I believe I mentioned that the rear seats had a unique feature with the arm rests.  They were recessed into the cabin side walls.  Ribbons should make excellent seat belts.

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 11:11pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

well - I do plan on putting a cooler in the cabin. Damn thing is so spacious and visible with all that glazing I have to do something besides seats and a panel. There should be a backpack or duffel bag, fishing tackle with a box and two rods, and maybe a dog companion for the pilot all in there when I button it up - we'll see

NGR29He.jpg (59 KB | 7 )
NGR29He.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:47am

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

HW, your seats reminded me of a trip. A friend wanted to fly to Oshkosh with the Stinson, he'd pay for the gass and oil. I said "Sure". "What do we need? Camping gear?" I said "Yep and a big cooler".
He showed up with a big cooled that was 1950's vintage, it held two cases of Bud Light and ice. It just fit on the floor in front of the rear seat. Thank goodness, it was hot that year.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 9:06pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Tom, usually when I'm in the store I'm thinking 'airplane parts' and then I forget to grab the damn tomatos...
Funny how useful all that useless packaging material can be to a model builder..

LWM, the disney dog is not quite what I want to use but maybe I can improvise..

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:37pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Your Dalmation puppy  Tongue   (guard?)  Undecided  dog, adds a nice "scale" realism to your "realistic" SR-10 build! 
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print