Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
laser cutting tissue trim (Read 451 times)
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:29pm

pedwards2932   Offline

Virginia

I lost the fuselage to a tree and because the graphics weren't sticking as well I tried 2 different methods.  One I used watered down Elmer's it worked okay but there was a bit of residue from the glue.  Second I used Scotch® Spray Mount Artist's Adhesive, 10.25 oz, Repositionable Aerosol.  Sprayed a light cote on the graphic and let it tack off.  I was able to reposition and smooth then I coated the fuse in Krylon....really looks great.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:41am

pedwards2932   Offline

Virginia

I coated one side using a glue stick and let it tack off a little and then positioned it on the tissue.  Once I had it positioned where I wanted it I used a cue tip and alcohol this reactivated the glue stick and it bonded pretty good.  Then I coated everything with Krylon as that is what I was using on this one.  My past versions I used dope so I suspect you could do the same with dope.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:36am

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hello pedwards - sounds like you are having lots of fun with a great flyer there  Smiley   (I am jealous)  - sorry you lost one going OOS (out of sight)  Undecided    -   BUT it does get one "
stoked
" when they really fly !!   Smiley
I have a question about your laser cut tissue trim - how did you glue the tissue trim onto the top of the wing tissue that was already shrunk ?
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 10:13am

pedwards2932   Offline

Virginia

Man this is my best Cloudbuster yet.  Design changes - I added magnetic wing hold downs because I found the rubber bands were distorting the fuselage and probably messing with the wing angle.  I balanced the model using clay with no prop....only had to add 1/2 gram to balance had slight left turn.  100 winds dead steady 200 winds soft turn to right.  Moved to larger field 300 winds nice climb slow right.  Went to 400 winds climb was too rapid so it stalled.  Need to add some down thrust.  I am designing some shims that I can make with my 3D printer.  I am stoked!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 12:47pm

Kittyfritters   Offline
Stick & Tissue
California

I've had a laser cutter for years and I don't know why cutting tissue trim with it never occurred to me.  Thank you!

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 2:14pm

pedwards2932   Offline

Virginia

EleksMaker® EleksLaser-A3 Pro 2500mW Laser Engraving Machine CNC Laser Printer.  Mine is an older version got it from Banggood.com

Added pic of finished model...gonna fly it this weekend
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:27pm by pedwards2932 »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 1:21pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Trim looks great and sharply cut.  What's the maker of the laser engraver/cutter?
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:21am

pedwards2932   Offline

Virginia

I bought a 2.5 watt laser engraver/cutter which I am using to cut balsa parts.....works great.  I had just lost my Cloudbuster to too many winds for the field and thought instead of printed tissue I would try making tissue trim.  I tried it on my craft cutter and it was a epic fail.  Then I decided to see if I could do it with the laser...it worked great.  I used a layer of regular paper then the tissue and magnets to hold everything flat and tight.  Really cool
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:26pm by pedwards2932 »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print