Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
18" DUMAS "Aircamper" Free Flight Rubber (Read 391 times)
Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:46pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hola Alfredo-acabo de ver tu video de vuelo de avión Pietenpol.  ¡ vuela muy bien!  También disfruté de la música clásica que usas (soy acordeonista de música clásica).  También leí en su país progresista como en la educación post-secundaria gratuita. Suena como un gran lugar para vivir.  Hablaremos pronto.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 11:00pm

Alfredo Arbe   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Inlight pictures with that clouds in the backgroung are poetic!

My own piemetmpol (peck polymer plans based) has that section made of solid tissue covered foam, that helps to make model stronger for situations like that.

The plane doesnt look too badly damaged

good luck with repairs

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 7:06pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hi Yotabota - I think I will repair it over winter, and infil plank the whole nose this time.  It really was a good high wing flyer !!   Smiley  I better get cracking on two builds that I had started ...   Lips Sealed
LWM
Richad

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 1:04pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

Morning,
Are you going to repair her? It's hard to tell from the pictures if there is any damage farther back on the fuselage. She certainly has given you (us) a lot of enjoyment and good flying time.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:35pm

yotabota   Offline
I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature
Sooke BC

In the words of the immortal MONTY PYTHON,,,"It's only a flesh wound" Smiley
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:06pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

When I got home at 2:00 pm, the temp was the same, but the wind was NOW 9 mph from the West, gusting to 14 mph, and still low humidity of 52%.  WAY more windy.
     On my best flight today, I was about to break my 51 sec record for the Gypsy on the 45 sec flight, but she flew into a big Spruce tree half way up, and almost stayed there !!
      Well, I really did end up smashing up the nose badly - here are some pics of the damage - the hanging jaw looks like the nose of one of those large freight planes that you can drive tanks and trucks into ...
     The Gypsy is now relegated to "Wrecks and Repairs".

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:51pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I went flying today with "old dependable" Gypsy, the 18" Duams 'Air Camper'.  At 1:00 pm, the weather was 64 deg F (feels like 64), winds from the West at 4 mph, gusting to 7 mph, and LOW humidity of 52%, so I HAD to go.
     I forgot to pull the Scan Disc out of the computer for my camera, so here are a few other pics snipped from a couple of previous videos by my buddy Andrew, who had his brother-in-law Duncan visiting from South Africa.  They are both 75.  Duncan really got a kick out of it, as he had built some balsa plane models as a  kid but never flew them.
     When I got to the Cricket Wicket, I discovered that the stab had warped very slightly again, even though I had straightened it out with steam a while ago.  BUT, I had two little file folder cardboard tabs already scotch taped to the elevators, so after the first flight didn't work, I just put a couple of little bends in them, and it WORKED !   It circled left for flights of 45, 40, 30, 30, 25 seconds, and a few more lesser times, crashing into the long grass under power, as the wind was really picking up, and really smashing the nose up !
(I don't know how to fix the pics as the video was sideways).

AUG_4_2017_A.JPG (263 KB | 6 )
AUG_4_2017_A.JPG
AUG_4_2017_B.JPG (219 KB | 6 )
AUG_4_2017_B.JPG
AUG_4_2017_C.JPG (189 KB | 8 )
AUG_4_2017_C.JPG
AUG_4_2017_D.JPG (170 KB | 8 )
AUG_4_2017_D.JPG
AUG_4_2017_E.JPG (121 KB | 8 )
AUG_4_2017_E.JPG
AUG_4_2017_F.JPG (121 KB | 7 )
AUG_4_2017_F.JPG

IP Logged

Aug 25th, 2017 at 2:07pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I just got back from flying the 18" Air Camper at 1:30 PM.   I had to re-balance it with that new big long motor in it - 2 strands of 15" brand new 1/8" rubber (stretched broken in and lubed) - prop hook to rear peg is 7".  I had to take about 3/4,  of that one gram of modellers clay, off from the wire tail skid to balance it again).  I also boiled up some water for steam, and removed a slight warp in the Stabilizer.
     I just set my
NEW RECORD
  Smiley  for the "Gypsy"  Cheesy  - 
51 second flight
!!  Wink  .   
     The flights were 38, 35, 51, 11, 41, 20 and 18 seconds.  And it was flying high and in medium circles.   It once even bounced off of a spruce tree limb and kept going ...
      I put in 1050 winds with a stooge and winder, and almost running out the rubber on the 51 second flight.
     The weather was:  winds 7 mph from North (gust to 11), 68 deg F, and 43% humidity (having dry drum taught airfoil covering tissue really helps !) - and I find that the high (70% and above) humidity also affects the rubber adversely too, making it weaker ...
LWM
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2017 at 4:45pm by LASTWOODSMAN »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print