Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bellanca TES Blue Streak (Read 1630 times)
Reply #26 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, I was reading the indoor scale board on HPA and "Work In Progress" shared this little gem of truth:

"The first 90% of the visible work takes 90% of the time schedule. And the last 10% takes another 90%."

I'm finding this is true with the TES.  I hopefully put on the final clear coat and am ready when it dries to assemble the model components for the final time.  Then to the details windows in acetate and flying wires, etc.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 1:36pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

This has been a very interesting model to build with the story of it's history and tragic end.  A most unique aircraft and a challenging build with the outrunners. 

Got some paint on yesterday and a little lettering, but much more work to do with touch up and more stripes and lettering and a couple more struts and then flying wires and props.  Nearing the finished model.

I couldn't  resist another mockup with the assistance of Goofy!
Tom

in_paint_1.jpg (64 KB | 1 )
in_paint_1.jpg
in_paint_6.jpg (89 KB | 2 )
in_paint_6.jpg
in_paint_7.jpg (94 KB | 1 )
in_paint_7.jpg
in_paint_9.jpg (44 KB | 0 )
in_paint_9.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 7:49pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well thought I was further along with the paint on the fuselage.  I sealed and re-sealed with sanding between coats, but somehow must of sanded too much because my paint attacked the foam and dimpled the fuselage.  So more filler and more sanding and more sealing today.

The model will, I believe, go to the Elgin Historical Society where the wing fabric was placed by Bill and his family that his father got from the crash site.

As for the crash site it was a mess.  Very tragic accident. Here's a picture of the crash site.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:06pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

The description of the wreckage debris field certainly creates a picture in ones mind of what happened during the orginal's fateful crash.  The fact that the TES was only at 300 feet indicates the havoc the crew was dealing with.  Reminds me of the thought I've always had regarding that driveshaft running between the pilot's legs in the Airacobra.  Maybe that took some initial getting used to as well.

Well, the TES remains a beautifully creative design regardless of events...and your model is a tribute to the men of that time...reflective of their dedication and courage.

No pressue, Tom...you're doing them justice.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:09pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

It is a Bellanca one off design for trying to set a speed record.  It carried 2100 gals of gas and was flown between Chicago and Selena, IL to set a record. But on the return leg vibration on the rear propeller shaft caused structural destruction and the loss of the 4 man crew.  Bellanca canceled any further development of the Tandem Experimental Sesquiplane (TES).  The twin wasps were changed due to cooling problems, to the Curtiss Conqueror .  These engines were mounted back to back in the nose nacelle and the rear prop shaft ran through the fuselage to the rear prop.
Tom

scan0053.jpg (1779 KB | 1 )
scan0053.jpg
scan0052.jpg (1509 KB | 0 )
scan0052.jpg
scan0051.jpg (1979 KB | 1 )
scan0051.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 2:45pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - I can't stop studying your nice pics of your Bellanca TES Blue Streak.   Shocked    It is such a
fascinating plane!
  In my amateur, humble, biased opinion, it looks to have the wings of a combination of a Bellanca lifting strut and Stinson Reliant gull wings, the booms of a DH-2, the fuselage of a Gustave Whitehead No. 21, and the tail of a Lockheed Constellation Air Liner, and the landing gear of a DH89 Dragon Rapide (with out the props).  That model
DOES
belong in a museum   Smiley Smiley - which museum are you sending it to?
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:54am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Neal,
She's 27" span.  Still have lots of finish work to do...but she's coming along.  I hope to have paint on her soon. Yes she's going to a museum where memorabilia of the actual aircraft and records will be displayed.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:42pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Just awesome, Tom...so unique and beautiful in its own way.  What's the ws?  Have you got a glass display case for her?  It's such a challenge to create the detail of a plastic display-type model...using wood.  She's really pretty.

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks LWM... Momma put Uncle Sam away till next year.  Now it pumpkins and Jack-O-Lanterns time! Wink

Got some more work done on the TES... Between sanding and sealing foam for paint I made the front prop carved from a balsa laminated block.  The short blades for radiator cooling.  Apparently the the front radiator was split into two halves.  The right side was for the front engine and the left half for the rear engine. The short prop blades were to move more air thorough those radiators.
I made the wing struts from bamboo skewers split down the middle.  They fit in sockets cut into the wing and the wheel pants.

To a while to get the Curtiss Conqueror Engine nacelle constructed and fitted.  Because the real one was made of aluminum panels I tried to cut templates from paper and then cover the foam to reduce the sealing project.  I then found my aluminum tape and thought I give the paper templates over to aluminum tape.  I use the templates and cut out the tape and wrapped the nacelle.  The front half worked ok but there were a few wrinkles on the bottom.  But I found out that you can't peal it off and restick it, causes more wrinkles.  You guessed it, couldn't get it to work.  I just don't know how JohnO does it!!!! 

So stripped it all off and with spackle resurfaced the cowling and let it dry.  I'll seal it with some diluted carpenter's glue.  Seem to seal well and sands nice and smooth. I know, imagine that! Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin Wink 

So here's the Curtiss Conqueror Nacelle and prop installed on the TES' fuselage.  There's so much detail work on this model it'll be a real challenge to see all the flying wires and rigging done.  GETTING THERE!

Tom

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 9:53pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Tom - that is
really
NEAT !!
   Very real looking ...  That Uncle Sam is pretty cool too !   Smiley   Cheesy
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 10:35pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Gary!
I've found that the partial 3 view I worked from is not accurate in many ways.  I've had to revert to the pictures to make some corrections in the plans already.  I'll repost it later after I complete the build and finalize any modifications.

I've primed almost all the components.  Some finish sanding and I'll be ready to start looking at paint.  I still have to finish the Curtiss Conqueror "snout" on this bird as well as the props.  I'm going to carve the wooden prop for the front of the plane and then construct out of tubing the rear 3 bladed prop.  There are some interplane struts as well.  Making progress but it's been slow.  Here's the latest mockup of the primed components...Got Uncle Sam to help out with the display of the mockup.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 12:39pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Very interesting project you've got there Tom.  Really impressed at how you were able to draw up plans and construct a good looking model from what little information available.  Very impressive!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 10:08pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Quite
the contraption!   Smiley
Bellanca!!

LWM

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:15pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well, here's the pictures of the second mockup.  There's a lot of fine tuning the alignment and the cross members on the outriggers will come off when I finalize the mounting of the outriggers to the wing and fuselage.  I can get real flimsy without those.
Lots done but lots to do yet.  Got to build the front engine cowling and both props, and the raised cockpit on this model that sits in front of the main spar between the leading edges.  And then the fuselage dorsal spine.  Still working.
Tom

second_mockup_1.jpg (131 KB | 6 )
second_mockup_1.jpg
second_mockup_4.jpg (110 KB | 3 )
second_mockup_4.jpg
second_mockup_5.jpg (105 KB | 3 )
second_mockup_5.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 3:22pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Online
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

WOW Tom! - you really incorporate a lot of different techniques into your build - can't wait for those pics!
LWM

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print