Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bellanca TES Blue Streak (Read 1131 times)
Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 11:28am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Mike... it's a very interesting concept.  To place the engines inline to avoid the problems of power out twin engine standard setups was very ingenious.  But placing them back to back in the nose, both with radial 420hp Pratt & Whitney Wasps and V-12 Curtiss Conqueror engines is a different solution with a shaft from the rear motor running through the fuselage to the rear prop.  (which was determined as the cause of the crash due to the failure of the shaft support/bearings etc.)  Tragic in that she was successful in the first leg of the flight in speed and endurance.  To then fail on the return leg, killing all four on board!  Was basically the end of any further development.  With the documentation I was given there was a proposed double decker air transport/freighter version proposed.  With either two levels of passengers or passenger and freight on two separate levels.  It was a pretty large aircraft!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:48am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Sky - This is a fantastic project given the limited documentation resource you had to work with. The requester definitely had the right person to create this masterpiece. Must admit this airplane had me scratching my head. As a former aerospace designer it had me wondering how it could actually fly, but then it was an era of innovation, daring and sheer will. This plane is not much different than the one in the background of your Tes5.jpg photo. Another interesting plane. Well done.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #39 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 12:48am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Mike...she definitely has a different shape, but I think the Curtiss Conqueror nacelle is much better looking than the earlier radial round pipe looking cowl of the original engines.

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:20pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Great model, Tom!  The orange and blue colors really pop, and show off the unusual combination of shapes.  Not exactly a streamliner, but a very interesting plane with a fascinating back story.

Nice work!

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks LWM,
Was a fun model after all!  Lots of things to work out in the build and a real learning experience.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 8:15pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Prop at the rear, prop at the front, and another tiny prop at the front (what is that one for ?) - super model Tom !!  Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:37pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

I love this build! Such an interesting subject, like the first iteration of the C337 Skymaster.  You have done a masterful job of recreating it in miniature. These early birds had so much art worked into their design.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Got the rear vertical stab struts added and the panel lines on the nose.  Pardon the busy background...wife's fall decor!
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 7:35pm

DAVE Q   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
FLEETWOOD PA

Fantastic job Tom

IP Logged

Reply #32 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Thanks Neal,
I'm gonna wait a while before building a flying version. Got a few builds to complete first. 

Here's a black and white profile to compare. I'm close so far.
Tom

Tes5.jpg (59 KB | 0 )
Tes5.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 5:36pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Outstanding Tom!  Now you've got the inspiration for a flying version, right?

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #30 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 3:17pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Waiting on a decision on flying wires from Bill.  I finished the markings, scoops, exhausts and the skids for the tail booms. 

Just need to add the panel lines.  And this model will be complete. 

This was probably the most challenging model next to the MC-72 that I've built.  But I do like the looks of the TES.  A most unique aircraft!  Unfortunately the single prototype ended in tragedy.

Here's the latest pics.
Tom

finished_1.jpg (66 KB | 0 )
finished_1.jpg
finished_2.jpg (65 KB | 0 )
finished_2.jpg
finished_3.jpg (55 KB | 0 )
finished_3.jpg
finished_4.jpg (73 KB | 0 )
finished_4.jpg
finished_5.jpg (71 KB | 0 )
finished_5.jpg
finished_6.jpg (66 KB | 0 )
finished_6.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 11:48am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Finished markings and rear prop.  Now to the fiddly bits, like exhaust pipes, scoops, loovers, rear skids, etc. Moving along nicely now.

Bill said the blue was almost black, so the wing repaint comes very close to black but you can see blue highlights here and there!

I used the masking tape handles for the canopy windows and also the shape of the windows.  I taped over the openings and then with a razor blade cut out the size of the windows.  Worked great! i used Aileen's Tacky Glue for the windows, thinned a bit with water.  The white will dry clear.  When she's dry I'll remove the masking tape handles!  Glad I found that idea at HPA.  Never too old to learn something new! No matter how old the idea is! Here's the latest pictures.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 7:05pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Well the clear coat screwed up the wing.  Don't know what happened.  It acted like it was sprayed on waxed paper.  In the body shop, we called it fisheyes!  So I sanded the worst spots and repainted the wing with another type of paint.  That blue is very hard to match.  I was told the original blue was so dark it was almost black.  So I mixed a new batch, and found that adding black to blue just muddied up the blue and turned grey.  So I started adding blue to the black and got a blue tinted black.  I hope this works out. 

After it dried I went ahead and glued the components together.  I hope I didn't make a mistake. 

Pictures tomorrow.
Tom

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 2:57pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Really striking color scheme Tom - that lustrous blue looks
iridescent !
    Shocked
And Goofy is pretty cool too, I might add ...  Cheesy  and he looks to be the right scale size also.
LWM
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:57pm by LASTWOODSMAN »  

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print