REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Hey Ian -
That must mean that
Henson's Aerial Steam Carriage
in
really did fly
also.  They made a model fly at the Peterborough, Ontario model club - video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5cDWf6-Po&NR=1 ;

Here are some pics ... some actually flying ...
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 5:48pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Outstanding...thanks for the post!!! Smiley Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Aug 31st, 2017 at 11:58pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

I had never heard of a successful Steam powered aircraft before. I know that European inventors were trying to design aircraft in the late 1800's that were powered by steam, but the power to weight ratio made it impractical. Imagine my surprise to find that one had actually been built and successfully flown in 1933 - by the Besler brothers.
Here is a link to a Popular Mechanics Article of July, 1933 covering this airplane in some detail.
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/worlds-first-steam-driven-airplane/
Quote:
OVER the Oakland, Calif., Airport, a few days ago, a silent plane slanted across the sky trailing a thin ribbon of white vapor. Spectators heard the pilot shout a greeting from the air. They saw him flash past, skimming the ground at a hundred miles an hour. They watched him bank into a turn, slide to a landing, and, with the propeller spinning backward, roll to a stop in less than a hundred feet. They had seen, for the first time in history, a man fly on wings powered by steam! Two brothers, George and William Besler, the former a geologist thirty-one years old, and the latter a mechanical engineer, two years younger, have achieved the dream of Maxim, Langley, and other pioneers of flight. Through their work, the steam-driven airplane, long talked about, long planned, has become a reality.

This spectacular development in the field of aeronautics is the result of three years of secret experiment. The inventors began their work in 1930, in a machine shop at Emeryville, Calif. A few weeks ago, they brought the product of their researches, a 180-pound engine developing 150 horsepower, to the Oakland Airport and installed it at the nose of a conventional Travel Air biplane.

ian

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print