Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Combat Kitten by Top Flite conversion to electric (Read 352 times)
Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 9:22pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I've chosen the FirePower 300.  It works best with the CG and has a very sturdy stout  Smiley  It really is a beautiful motor, mount, etc.  I'm impressed.   I will be interested to see how these less costly, yet seemingly high quality, motors compare to the park motors which are 3x the cost.   We will see.

So here we go.  I'm starting to cover.  I found a 7 inch prop while searching for a control handle.  I sure I have my old handle plus my Dad's old handle!!!  I'll keep looking.

TGIF.   Date night  Smiley

It's much easier to ride the horse in the direction its going.
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 3:49pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Wow.  I received my package from Heads Up RC in Florida today.  I was expecting this to be delayed for weeks.  I'm glad to know they are OK and able to still do business/ship product.  I have included a shot of my new goodies!!!   I think I over 'clicked' when shopping   Smiley  '6' new motors to choose from, a new Sky Power 20A ESC and some prop savers.  HURC 250 speed 2300kv, HURC 400 sport 1000kv, HURC 300 blue Wonder 1600kv, Firepower 300 sport 1200kv, Firepower 370 sport 1350kv, and a Power Up 300 speed 1400kv.   I'm thinking of the 300's for the Kitten and my 10A ESC or I'd love suggestions of which to start with from the list   Smiley  (no new suggestions   Roll Eyes).  I would appreciate any recommendation on Prop sizes/types.  I still need to get those.

Here are some shots of my recent progress.  I realized I can't have a full top hatch due to the tail boom attachment.  So I modified the hatch and added some top sheeting.  My booms, elevator and motor mount fit great and my second spray paint job is just fine.  I'm using the plans 'needle elevator attachment' method but instead of cloth over the exposed pin, I'm making a small notched block I'll glue in place.

Now that my motors have arrived, I'll start to get this plane finished.  This weekend I'll take down my Sinbad Jr. and extract the micro receiver and 10A ESC.  I'll also do some 'filling and sanding' to get things all smoothed out and then I'm covering the wing in left over yellow ultracote.  Classic black and yellow.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 1:37pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I had spray paint failure!!  I was lazy and just grabbed some older spray paint I had for automotive/BBQ/Fireplace use - it was just black - well, after 3 days it was still tacky.  So I sanded it off and have repainted it with fresh black.  It should be good to go this weekend.

I'm also working at closing up the wing center.  I'm using a 1/32 ply hatch on the entire outward top of the wing.  This should allow easy access and installation of the battery, ESC and micro receiver.  I'm not spending too much time making this a 'refined' build.  I intend to fly and crash the plane (if you aren't crashing, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough!).

I do have a couple of motors and ESC's on order with Head's Up RC.  I was checking yesterday for possible delivery dates and realized they are in Florida.  I assume my order will be delayed indefinitely until things get back to normal.  I hope that they are OK and my thoughts go out to everyone in Florida or affected by Hurricane Erma and Harvey.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:19pm by Brad »  

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 2:11pm

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Brad, beautiful soldering work and the pushrod bends really look perfect.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 12:47pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I got the bell crank and leads sorted out and I'm figuring out my plan for the battery/ESC and micro receiver installation.  I'm thinking a couple of hatches in the center top area of the wing will give the space and access I need.

The tail booms, elevator and motor mount are being painting now as well.

Combat_Kitten_11.JPG (103 KB | 2 )
Combat_Kitten_11.JPG

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:37am

bigrip74   Offline
Global Moderator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Brad, nice kitten and love the work shop.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 9:16pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking good so far...WoW, memories!!!! Love it!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:05pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I remember starting my McCoy .35 with a gardening glove on and getting to back of my fingers stung when it back fired!!   My mom finally bought me an electric starter  Smiley

Here's a shot of the build coming together.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:27pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Well, Tom, you aren't the only one who was cut by those .049 props  Smiley Nice to know I have company.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:25pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

That looks like the model I had back in Jr. Hi. school.  We sure had fun with that in the vacant field not far from the house.  Cut my finger on the prop after the motor started and I was removing my hand from the front of the wing. Embarrassed Cry Roll Eyes Grin   Still have the scar on my right hand pointer finger.  We sure had fun with it though.  Best of luck with the electrified version!  Happy landings and a prop saver might be a good addition!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 4:19pm

pb_guy   Offline

A landing gear strut without the wheel. It can be quite light wire. Just make a little loop at the end so you don't poke yourself. no appreciable drag.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:11pm

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

Ian:  What do you mean by "wire whisker"?   I am a bit nervous that these electric motors won't take as kindly to being driven into the ground as the .049s did.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 12:58pm

pb_guy   Offline

The good thing about these is that if you get dizzy, you can fly loops or figure 8's on the downwind side of the circle. Of course, with an electric motor control, you can just cut the power. And, to save props, a wire whisker on the fuselage might help. Happy building.
ian

IP Logged

Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:58am

Brad   Offline
Portland, Oregon area

I found this kit while cleaning up my work space after my last build, the Das Splat.  I had only built one of the planes about 20+ years ago so I was pleased to find everything nicely put away and ready to build the second plane.

First, wow.  Dye Crushed parts!!!  What a treat  Smiley  I've been building just from plans and 3-view drawing since I got back into modeling and this sure makes things go faster.

Although I do have an .049 that is still in good shape, I'm going to convert this to electric.  I'm thinking I will use my micro receiver instead of a motor timer and I will then have throttle control via my transmitter.  My launch buddy, aka my son, will be able to control that as I frantically yell commands.  And visa versa of course.  I'm think a Park 180 or 250?  I have a park 450 but I think that would be way to much motor.  It will also be nice being able to stop when you want to instead of hoping the fuel runs out soon like with the .049.  I do recall getting quite dizzy the last time I tried flying these and I'm a lot older now!!

So I jumped it.  This will build quick and be a lot of fun.

Brad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print