Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Aeronca C-3 / G-Mot 120 T (Read 2038 times)
Reply #45 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thank you, guys! I couldn't help doing a little impromptu glide testing- it seems promising.

And Spliff, I'm really a fan of your building skills & techniques- and my table looks just like your desk- It's only time to clean when you run out of surface or start a new build!

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 7:01am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Another fabulous build. Looks very authentic surrounded by all the trees and the outdoor lighting really sets it off beautifully. The color scheme really pops. Looking forward to your flight reports.
NB
Mike

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. (Salvador Dali 1904 - 1989)
IP Logged

Reply #43 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 8:05pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Craig - that Aeronca is
TOO COO
L.    Smiley   And what a sharp, horizontally opposed, twin cylinder engine, with the 2 exhaust pipes, each one exiting the cylinder and going down under the front cowl to join up in a "V", going into that
neat little muffler
!    Cool   And even the blue cylinder heads match the color scheme!   Excellent!!   Cheesy Cheesy

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 6:37pm

Spliffsecond   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Asse Belgium

Wow, thats how I want to build.
Just beautifull.

Grtz free

IP Logged

Reply #41 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 5:41pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Last post in the thread, I guess. Promised outside pics.

IMG_1974.JPG (168 KB | )
IMG_1974.JPG
IMG_1972.JPG (181 KB | )
IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG (201 KB | )
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG (184 KB | )
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG (167 KB | )
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG (112 KB | )
IMG_1966.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 8:31pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

I'll post a few more pics when the sun comes out- I think the cover will look nice lit up- until that day, a couple more. Now, back to your regular programming Smiley

IMG_1949.JPG (67 KB | )
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1956.jpg (54 KB | )
IMG_1956.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 8:28pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Well, I'll probably put the cowl louvers on, but here's pretty much what it looks like.

This started as a sop to my insomnia, but I learned some new techniques. It's the first airplane I've built with structural rigging- you literally can't pick it up without it. It could have been more "to scale," but just keeping it square and holding the wing incidence was enough for this neophyte. I really needed to get some practice before doing the Waco, because rigging, hooks on the struts, and magnets hold it together- the lower wing has to come off for radio access.

It's also my first successful experience with dope-spliced tissue color changes between stringers. I was pretty happy with it, and while I'm no Mike Kelly, I might jump into some came warbirds now.

I was worried it might come up nose-heavy, but putting the CO2 tank behind the cockpit did the trick. I was gunning for 70g- it actually came in at 69 and change, but it needed a little nose weight! The faux exhaust weighs 1.74g and it seems to be spot on.

Glide tests will tell- as soon as the WV boot-sucking mud season is over- sometime after the Memorial Day snow, probably. With hinged everything, I should be able to trim it!

IMG_1954.JPG (77 KB | )
IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG (66 KB | )
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG (63 KB | )
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG (64 KB | )
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG (71 KB | )
IMG_1950.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 12:45pm

New Builder   Offline

This my first stop every morning as well. Usually up around 6 AM, breakfast, news, weather, S&T. Always look forward to see what everybody is doing. Keep up the great work.
NB
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #37 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 7:41am

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

mike, this association of builders helps me get up in the morning! The things we learn from each other are amazing. Contrary to popular belief, S&T guys DON'T ascribe to the theory that "Anything is allowed, as long as it's the way I've always done it." Lots of new techniques are being developed all the time- around the edges Smiley And thanks for the kind words.

I got the wing rigged- 20lb test Silver Thread AN40 Copolymer mono line- tuned to B flat.It's nice, small-diameter stuff, and quite supple.

IMG_1941.JPG (78 KB | )
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG (74 KB | )
IMG_1943.JPG
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 6:49am

New Builder   Offline

Craig I'm in line with everyone else here and absolutely spectacular work. I always bookmark your builds for reference and inspiration for my work. Always look forward to your work and thank you for your methods of sharing, works well.
NB
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 5:20pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Mark- Thanks- I'm going with that!

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 3:27pm

Huey v77   Offline
I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.
Orwell, Ohio

Craig, here's a thought, I've used mono-fishing line for flying wires. The nice thing is you can heat them and they shrink. I'll get them where I want them and tweek them with some heat, like a monocote iron or a blown out match. I built a Laird Solution many years ago and actually adjusted the wings with the line tension. Worked great.

Mark

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 1:54pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Richard! Well, it's getting ever closer to the part I'm dreading- running flying and landing wires that actually align and retain the wing and empennage. It just "balances" on two 1/8" wide contact points- and the one on the front A-frame is only 3/16" long.
I'm shooting for a taget AUW of <80g. The spec sheet for the G-Mot 120-T say it'll propel a 70-90g model with a 700-900mm wingspan. This one has a 680mm span. I hope to tune the balance some with wheel/tire selection. I have a pair of Dubro ultralites that will probably be the "flying" wheels, and a pretty, scale-appearing NOS set of "Perfect" ballon wheels which weigh more than a good Free Flight Rubber model but will be on it for display. They should also keep it from flying off the shelf when the furnace kicks on Smiley I think it's going to be a little portly for slamming earthward on turned balsa wheels, and at 1/1/2" in diameter and fat in profile,  the Dubros are probably lighter anyway.

IMG_1932.JPG (67 KB | )
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG (66 KB | )
IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1936.jpg (84 KB | )
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1937.jpg (76 KB | )
IMG_1937.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:18pm

LASTWOODSMAN   Offline
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Very clear and precise Craig !   Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Craig 3   Online
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Thanks, Mike- I cheated & hand-lettered the tissue flat before I covered it. The rudder only got a sealer coat of dope right up to the lettering- The Design Master clear doesn't have a solvent that touches the Sharpie ink, so you can spray over it. Had I tried doing it after covering, I'd have either slipped or poked a hole in it. Panel lines give mr enough trouble!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print