Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PDF Generation (Read 116 times)
Reply #6 - Yesterday at 8:12am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

A big thank you to Last Woodsman for directing me to one of our local Staples to create PDFs from my Air Racing drawings. They have a scanner that will handle anything I have and some of them are 22 X 34 and bigger. They scan and create a PDF for $2.00 per page.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:44am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Print houses are not the only source of large flatbed scanners. Engineering firms (civil engineering) have to have them, and they might do you a favour on a single plan. To find one, ask at city hall for the engineering department, explain your need and ask what contractor they might use that might help you out. By the way, the city hall engineering department also has them.
  As for getting plans printed up, try Ratz on HPA.
ian

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 9:17am

New Builder   Offline

pb-guy - Thank you for your feedback. I use Irfanview and do like it a lot and was wondering why use it until I realized that the scanning involved folding, manipulating and turning the document around to get all aspects of the original and Irfanview is capable of correcting the odd angles that would be there. I do not have a Paint program but do have all the PDF capabilities needed. I started thinking about the process spread over 125+ pages of plans and while this is a very workable method, I think I need  to find a commercial method with a large flatbed scanner to copy the document in one shot. Again thank you for your method.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 3:57pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

Well, New Builder, the first step is to scan your plans and save them as image files. I prefer to work with GIF files, but you can use anything that floats your boat. Once scanned, you need a graphics program that can rotate your images in fractions of a degree. For that, I use Irfanview, which is a free program. Once rotated, then you have to stitch them together in a Paint program.
Once you have your image done, then you have to print them as a PDF.
If your Word Processor does not have the capability of printing PDF's, then you have to get a PDF printer driver. I use CutePDF writer. to print from a Wordprocessing program.
Your wordprocessor has to handle custom page sizes. I use Lotus WordPro because my version of Word doesn't do the job well. Once you produce the PDF, you have to check that it has printed in the right scale. Possibly you might want to trim your created PDF file to size. For this, I use Free PDF Tools
Hope this helps
ian

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 12:48pm

New Builder   Offline

Sky - Thank you for your feedback but I am looking for a method to create a PDF of my originals such as are found on places such as Outerzone. I understand how to copy, print, and enlarge PDFs to get what I want but am trying to preserve my collection and actually build from them. I have been trying to get graphic houses to understand that I have no interest in selling but to create copies for my work alone. The rebuttal is that once the copy exists, the possibility also exists to sell for a profit. I have been successful only one time with a print house in California that actually believed me or was willing to take the chance.

As to renewal of a copyright "The Berne Convention, amending US copyright law in 1989, makes copyright automatic". It further gives durations as: "Copyright protection generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was a "work for hire", then copyright persists for 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever is shorter." It goes further to say: "For works published or registered before 1978, the maximum copyright duration is 95 years from the date of publication, if copyright was renewed during the 28th year following publication. Copyright renewal has been automatic since the Copyright Renewal Act of 1992.

All this is quite probably a moot point given that sites like Outerzone are going strong and maybe never challenged.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:36am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Older plans before 1960 are usually beyond the copyright expire time, unless there is a renewal of the copyright.  As I understand the laws.  Lots of the plans are for companies that are no longer in existence. Some plans are held by model magazines or the AMA (American Modelers Association) that are still being sold.
Often if you explain to your copy company that you're not reproducing them for resale or distribution but to save your original plans for viewing while you cut up the copy to build from on your building board, they will assist you in that manner. 

Most PDF plans offered free from the internet are printed by the modeler on his own printer using the poster setting and then tape the sheets together to build from.  I hope this has been somewhat helpful. 

If you have a scanner, printer, copier multi machine and a graphics program you can scan your own plans and then in the computer re-assemble the scanned sections and then save them as a PDF.  That's the only other option I can think of. 
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:27am

New Builder   Offline

Been trying to work with some of the graphic houses to create reproducible copies of my original plans but they are concerned with copyright issues. To their credit, I agree that the original work should be preserved for the author, so don't quite understand how plan sites get away with reproducing plans for free. So to that end I need some guidance as to creating PDFs of my plan collection so I don't have to cut up the originals for copies to build from. Any help here would be useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print